• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 149
  • Total: 149
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Camera Clubs

Started by David Blandford, August 22, 2016, 07:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Blandford

I would like to ask people if they belong to any Camera Clubs and if so what they gain from membership?

I have been taking photos for thirty years just to put them in a box until I joined Flickr 6 years ago and discovered CC shortly afterwards. I am now thinking about joining a camera club and am lucky enough to have several around me to choose from. I am hoping that by joining a club I will be able to improve my photography be learning from its members and letting them review my work. Whilst I intend to visit some of these clubs to see what they are like and meet their members it started me thinking what do other photographers think of these clubs?  :-\   :-\

still trying to paint with light!!

Oldboy

Good luck with that. I've never bothered with camera clubs as I'd rather do my own thing. Some clubs have cliques which can put off new members but there are clubs who are only happy to welcome new blood. I hope you find one of them.  :tup:

jinky

Depends if you`re lucky with what is local. I`ve dropped into 2 near enough to me but found them rather stuffy and into cliques with only one way of doing things and so passed on them. A friend further away has a great club that I have been guested into a couple of times and is totally different but just too far for me to go regularly. IO got what I needed from a local Flickr group for years but it has all but died a death apart from the odd meet up and annual Photocamp which we set up to share techniques/ styles in various workshops. Wish I could find a good local club to reinvigorate my photography as I have all but stopped recently but nothing going around here. Good luck.

ABERS

I joined my club back in the 80's  when I was starting out into serious photography.  The club is still going strong and membership keeps around 140. It caters for all genres with sections for Natural History,  Pictorial, Still Life, Studio and Portraiture,  Colour,  Monochrome. These groups meet on a monthly basis, share ideas and help those that are wanting advice and constructive criticism.
The weekly meeting comprises talks by recognised and usually  international and national photographers. The last meeting of the month is put aside for competition, split between  intermediate and advanced member, judged by accredited  judges from the PAGB  list.

The club holds an annual  exhibition  where every member takes part, if they so desire, so everyone's  work is seen by the public at large, usually some 900-1000.

The club encourages members to apply for and enter panels for the RPS distinctions and we have many members that have achieved their LRPS, ARPS and a few FRPS. But that's  another story.

Like any endeavour you will only get out what you put in, every newcomer is welcomed and made sure he/she is not ignored.

Club photography far exceedes distance learning  and stretches you  and I have seen raw and enthusiastic newcomers progress in leaps and bounds. Get in and join.

Simple

I am running a small club. The learners that used to come to my photography lessons (in Adult Education) formed  friendships and they wanted to keep on meeting and liked the idea of regular photographic topics to keep practicing with the camera. That is how the club originated and we have a regular attendance of 15-20 people once a fortnight. We also have a lot of people new to photography and they are being helped by the more experienced members. Membership is free and the meetings are held in an ex-servicemens club. They do not charge for using the hall and the drinks are cheap!
This is one of the reasons that I did not play along with the CC competitions before, because I had to find topics to photograph for 2 lessons every week I was teaching(Full terms) plus once a fortnight for the club. It all was too much photography. I have now reduced my courses to run in winter only and just have the club to run.

ABERS

I used to give talks to clubs and always found the smaller ones were somewhat "cosier", with a greater flow of questions.  Inevitably  the question came up, "What camera do you use?". I always answered "a black one", with a wink.

Have a look at www.rtps.org.uk. to see the sort of activities that are available to members.

StephenBatey

I don't belong to a camera club. Every time I look at the local ones, I find that they are heavily in to competitions (which I deplore), typically two per month. I also have a vivid recollection of one camera club member on another forum justifying competitions because comments from judges were the only time photographs were discussed.

My photography is for myself alone; I don't want or need to be encouraged to photograph subjects I don't relate to simply for a competition. I'd welcome comments on my photographs, but it seems that this isn't what many clubs are about.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

ABERS

It's  obvious clubs differ in content, much as forums do. Our monthly competition is not based on a theme, each one is left to the entrant's particular  choice, the only imposition is one month it's  prints  the next  PDI's.  So it's  the quality of the image, its creativity, its presentation  and it's overall impact.

Annual competitions are split into genres, Colour,  B+W, Pictorial,  record etc.

I remember setting the weekly competition here once giving entrants a free hand, it roused a chorus of bewilderment as to what to post.The club approach encourages a wider spread of creativity and image type.

Everybody to their own.  :tup:

David Blandford

an interesting range of points of view, thanks for sharing your view. I will try some of my local clubs and let you know what I find.

StephenBatey

Given that you don't seem too far away from me, I'll be very interested in your findings/experiences.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

jinky

[quote author=ABERS link=topic=4671.msg54104#msg54104 date=147212604

I remember setting the weekly competition here once giving entrants a free hand, it roused a chorus of bewilderment as to what to post.The club approach encourages a wider spread of creativity and image type.

Everybody to their own.  :tup:
[/quote]

I can imagine a discussion re: the purpose of themes but I cannot remember ever feeling bewildered by an open theme. I think the discussion was more about the issue of judging against how a photographer best meets a brief and some finding it difficult to judge a landscape v say a portrait. I think bewilderment is a bit strong and patronising. That said I'm on a phone so cannot look back at the debate

ABERS

[/quote] I think bewilderment is a bit strong and patronising.[/quote]

Sorry about that. Bewilderment  is perhaps a bit strong., put outside their  comfort zone would be more apt.

Photography surely is much more than meeting a brief. If you want to become proficient in that area all well and good, after all  it's  a necessary string to your  bow if you want to become a pro.

Reinardina

I too have been looking at camera clubs in the past, but they all require a long public transport journey, as most are 'in the sticks,' and the one in my hometown, is in an area where I would not like to wait for a bus on a winter night.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Beaux Reflets

I often consider Camera Craniums as one of the best Camera Clubs online - more especially when it is lively :tup:
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

David Blandford

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on August 27, 2016, 08:20:32 AM
I often consider Camera Craniums as one of the best Camera Clubs online - more especially when it is lively :tup:

You are so right Andy, I have learned a lot from CC and enjoyed the competitions. Especially as it gets me out with my camera! ;) However one of the things I am now looking for is the social aspect of our hobby. The problem with any online club is it members are spread over such a large area.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.