• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 122
  • Total: 122
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

WAMT?

Conjunctivitis (at least I hope that's what it is).

I also discovered that I can't shoot left eyed for any long period of time.

And encouraging a room full of toddlers to look happy when you have tears running down your face and can't see well enough to notice whether they are actually smiling or not can be tough.

Good thing I never really got into manual focus.
It's Guest's round

ABERS

Quote from: Jonathan on November 18, 2009, 03:25:08 PM

Does anyone focus manually any more. When you read of all the gizmos and camera advancements that are available to today's photographers, and the rush to buy such things to 'become a better photographer' it seems totally inappropriate that manual focussing is practised by anyone.

The act of focussing a lens has nothing whatsoever to do with creativity, the choice of aperture has or am I still living in the past?

Conjunctivitis can be painful Jonathan, keep an eye on it. :legit:

Alfonso_Frisk

I shoot  and focus in manual 99% of the time. Perhaps thats what I'm doing wrong.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Jonathan

Oooooo 2 in 1 day.  But they are related.

Despite the fact that I can't see out of my right eye and my job is basically looking at things with my right eye.....my symptoms aren't bad enough to get the antibiotics that will cure it.  I have to use hydrochloric acid (really) for a week or so and when that doesn't work (because, you know it's hydrochloric acid rather than antibiotics) I'll be allowed to buy the ones that will actually work.  In the meantime I'll have to try not looking at anything.

Next time I'll Google up the symptoms of severe conjunctivitis before I walk 3 miles to the pharmacy.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: ABERS on November 18, 2009, 04:16:10 PM
Does anyone focus manually any more.

Funny you ask that Alan - but yes - most definitely. I had a trip to London yesterday with 2 fellow drivers on a photography stint and all my tripod stuff was manually focused (although i did use the live view mode to assist) and some of my day shots are manually focused. Although i tend to leave my lenses in AF mode when hand held - i will often over ride the setting if i'm not happy with what it is offering me. My macro is almost always manually focused.

We bumped into a pro who was shooting some elements of the London sky line for a client and he was most definitely manually focusing every shot.

You are definitely not alone...

Graham

Do I focus manually?
            Well I choose the focus point and I decide where to put it! But as the motors in my lenses can spin the barrel quicker than I can, then I leave that bit to them.
            Prior to going digital I only used manual prime lenses so I turned the focusing and aperture rings. The thought of having to bugger about with a zoom as well filled me with horror!
            Zoom lenses and "Auto focus" sysems being as good as they are now I'm happy to let them get on with it...but I still make the decisions.
                                Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

When shooting mist or fog you have to focus manually, due to lack of contrast.  ;D

spinner

Windows 7 upgrade. Yes it seems to be faster and smoother than Vista with less memory hogging. But the upgrade claims to keep your current files & settings, but that's not entirely true. All my Apps are still in the start menu and some work just like before. But some don't work until I go into the drive and double click the 'exe' file to kick start it. And some just won't start up period. Clearly Win7 has monkeyed about with the registry and I wasn't finding out which work and which didn't until I tried to use them. I guess my project for this evening is to click on every icon to see if the program really works, or just sits there looking pretty.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on November 18, 2009, 09:29:57 PM
Windows 7 upgrade. Yes it seems to be faster and smoother than Vista with less memory hogging. But the upgrade claims to keep your current files & settings, but that's not entirely true. All my Apps are still in the start menu and some work just like before. But some don't work until I go into the drive and double click the 'exe' file to kick start it. And some just won't start up period. Clearly Win7 has monkeyed about with the registry and I wasn't finding out which work and which didn't until I tried to use them. I guess my project for this evening is to click on every icon to see if the program really works, or just sits there looking pretty.

Windows 7 is more like WindowsXP than Vista, so in theory anything that works in XP should work OK in Windows 7.  ;D

I've got a touch of flu due to the strong winds yesterday. I was well wrapped up except for my head, so should have taken my winter hat yesterday.  :(

chris@seary.com

Quote from: ABERS on November 18, 2009, 04:16:10 PM
Quote from: Jonathan on November 18, 2009, 03:25:08 PM

Does anyone focus manually any more. When you read of all the gizmos and camera advancements that are available to today's photographers, and the rush to buy such things to 'become a better photographer' it seems totally inappropriate that manual focussing is practised by anyone.

The act of focussing a lens has nothing whatsoever to do with creativity, the choice of aperture has or am I still living in the past?

Yip, quite a few people still do this, but not for creative reasons.

If you own a Nikon D40/60/3000/5000, which don't have an internal focus motor, then most prime lenses will not autofocus.

Also, if you buy old lenses (such as much of the absolutely stunning Nikon glass from twenty or more years ago), then manual focus is all that you get.

Sometimes, if I'm using a lens such as my 85mm 1.8 at full aperture, I'll use manual focus. Also, macro photography is often best served by focusing manually.

Some street photographers who shoot from the hip set manual focus, as they are unable to line up the focusing point in the viewfinder when doing this. However, the more recent AF systems would cope much better with this.

Is it anything to do with creativity? No, you're absolutely right, Alan. There's no need for it unless you have to. Autofocus, I think, is one of the biggest advances in camera technology for decades, making sure that part of the photographic process has a better chance of being done accurately.

I would never denigrate Robert Frank's work (such as 'The Americans'), as I think it's magnificent. But the fact is that if he'd used a modern camera, a lot more of his photographs would be sharp.

anglefire

WAMT?

Getting to Euston Station at 4:30 tonight and finding all trains cancelled, due to someone being hit by a train at Watford.

I don't know if it was a suicide or a workman repairing the signals (Trains were slow around that area I think this morning - though it was dark, so can't be sure)

I'm sorry for the person that was hit, but that meant that rather than being home at about 6pm tonight, it was nearly 8:30pm. Me and several thousand others!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on November 18, 2009, 09:45:19 PM

Windows 7 is more like WindowsXP than Vista, so in theory anything that works in XP should work OK in Windows 7.  ;D

I've got a touch of flu due to the strong winds yesterday. I was well wrapped up except for my head, so should have taken my winter hat yesterday.  :(

Oh, maybe I phrased this wrong. It's not that programs don't work with Win7, it's that some work off the start menu like nothings been changed, others have to be restarted from run or double clicking the 'exe' file, then the icons will work and others have required a reinstall even though the icon is present in the start menu and the 'exe' file is sitting where the icon is pointing. I get error messages that don't match each instance and they're messages I'm not familiar with.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on November 19, 2009, 12:33:56 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on November 18, 2009, 09:45:19 PM

Oh, maybe I phrased this wrong. It's not that programs don't work with Win7, it's that some work off the start menu like nothings been changed, others have to be restarted from run or double clicking the 'exe' file, then the icons will work and others have required a reinstall even though the icon is present in the start menu and the 'exe' file is sitting where the icon is pointing. I get error messages that don't match each instance and they're messages I'm not familiar with.

No, you phrased it correctly. My guess it's bad coding in the settings fuction so some are reset and others aren't. As for error messages been different that depends on where the fault was detected and if it doesn't know it makes a guess.  :doh:

picsfor

Quote from: anglefire on November 18, 2009, 10:33:33 PM
WAMT?

Getting to Euston Station at 4:30 tonight and finding all trains cancelled, due to someone being hit by a train at Watford.

I don't know if it was a suicide or a workman repairing the signals (Trains were slow around that area I think this morning - though it was dark, so can't be sure)

I'm sorry for the person that was hit, but that meant that rather than being home at about 6pm tonight, it was nearly 8:30pm. Me and several thousand others!

And just as damaging is the train driver who was at the controls - some never sit in a cab again!
I'm thinking we were lucky it wasn't JimtheTrain because he was commenting last night.

Jonathan

I think in all this talk of manual focus we're forgetting the main point here.  Which is that my eye really hurts :).

Still, looks like the D3 can cope without me.  Next time I might just send it to the shoot and sit at home sipping margaritas.

Before you say anything about composing, that's a CROP :) - for obvious reasons I'm not going to post the whole thing.  This was taken at a time when I pretty much couldn't see the child at all.  They are all spot on.  It's also what happens when you leave your camera in your own custom "vivid sharp" setting by mistake. Which means that as soon as I can see properly I'll be dropping magenta out of all the pics.......
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.