• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 29
  • Total: 29
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimthetrain

The money wasted taking it to court could have been put to better use as well. Blackpool certainly needs it. ;D
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

greypoint

We're off to an open dog show tomorrow with our charity stall. Now some of you may have read the thread I posted about a wannabee photgrapher complaining about me taking photos. along with several others, at a couple of shows he was attempting to cover. My friend had an apologetic phone call from the secretary of tomorrow's show saying this 'pro' would be there and had  requested I did'nt take photos. Hmm - firstly I assume he will be taking posed pics of winners [you need to know a bit about show dogs to do this successfully!] - I would'nt muscle in on that - secondly - the lighting will no doubt be rubbish and all I'd take would be some record shots - thirdly - I have friends showing who like a record of their dog in the ring, this I do for free because it's a friend thing! I assume this ban will be on all the others with their camers too. My feeling is if you set yourself up as an expert your photos should be worth buying - would you buy -
http://www.jstratford.co.uk/photography/events/wadenhoedogshow2009.php

anglefire

Well, I wouldn't buy one - but the owner might do - but looking at the shots, they are not stunning shots, so I doubt many do.

I do rally photography occasionally and have covered a couple of events on an official basis - out of 4000 shots that I took, I think 1 was bought! And that seems to be the norm - that particular event, something like 16000 shots were taken by 5 official togs with only a dozen or so sold.

The advent of digital photography has largely killed it - the only way the pro does well is to be able to get into positions the generaly public can't - Showjumping is one area where the official tog can get into the ring and take shots from their - and they make a mint!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

irv_b

Sue surely if you go and say you are taking pictures for your own use (not to sell) then surely nothing can be said or done unless  are they banning everything including camera phone shots. Btw his photos aren't that great blurred out of focus and pretty boring so I am not surprised he is worried about being in competition with you if he has seen your Flickr page
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

greypoint

To be honest there really is'nt money to be made at local shows - I just do it as it's my hobby and we do sell the stuff I take but as things like key rings, greetings cards and fridge magnets etc. My taking pictures does'nt make a lot of difference to what he might sell. Agility is a bit different -  if you can manage to capture some good action then owners will buy. The sort of shots he's hoping to sell are the type i email to friends of the charity as a record of the day [although I do try to filter out the blurry ones first!] - not worth anything - and not the sort a pro dog photographer would take. Oh well thanks to my new printer  I do have a load of A4 prints mounted and in nice shiny cellophane bags to display....might get a few commissions for later ;)

spinner

Quote from: hevans on October 01, 2009, 07:10:51 PM
Or you can make your own frames. It's not that hard if you get the right tools.

Hard part is finding a good glazier that can supply the glass, although you can get plastic sheets from a DIY shop, and cut it up with a saw.

H.

I have contemplated that, getting a mat cutter etc. But after checking out the price of a cutter I had a look round the stores for types of matting available for cutting and couldn't find any. Or they're not calling mat paper. Even so, couldn't find any paper I'd consider suitable whatever they call it. Had a work mate who did it part time, but he retired and moved away before I ever got round to talking to him about it. (whenever we got together it turned into a grousing session) :(
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

spinner

Quote from: greypoint on October 02, 2009, 01:38:54 PM
From what I read he'd grabbed her wrist - that's not assault obviously ::) That teenager must have felt so big complaining about being assaulted by a 71 year old! Pathetic of the authorities as it just makes them look stupid.

Well, my take on it is, the Police (here at least) are gun shy of litigious lawyers now and won't make a decision at the street level. Leave it all up to the courts. That said, I wonder why the Judge didn't just dismiss the case.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

skellum

Quote from: greypoint on October 02, 2009, 06:35:24 PM
We're off to an open dog show tomorrow with our charity stall. Now some of you may have read the thread I posted about a wannabee photgrapher complaining about me taking photos. along with several others, at a couple of shows he was attempting to cover. My friend had an apologetic phone call from the secretary of tomorrow's show saying this 'pro' would be there and had  requested I did'nt take photos. Hmm - firstly I assume he will be taking posed pics of winners [you need to know a bit about show dogs to do this successfully!] - I would'nt muscle in on that - secondly - the lighting will no doubt be rubbish and all I'd take would be some record shots - thirdly - I have friends showing who like a record of their dog in the ring, this I do for free because it's a friend thing! I assume this ban will be on all the others with their camers too. My feeling is if you set yourself up as an expert your photos should be worth buying - would you buy -

Take your gear and speak to the organizers when you get there and explain to them what you have said here. I had a look at his site and as others have said his pictures are just average and the site very confusing.......... :legit:

Al Birmingham

Quote from: spinner on October 02, 2009, 07:58:24 PM
Quote from: greypoint on October 02, 2009, 01:38:54 PM
From what I read he'd grabbed her wrist - that's not assault obviously ::) That teenager must have felt so big complaining about being assaulted by a 71 year old! Pathetic of the authorities as it just makes them look stupid.

Well, my take on it is, the Police (here at least) are gun shy of litigious lawyers now and won't make a decision at the street level. Leave it all up to the courts. That said, I wonder why the Judge didn't just dismiss the case.

I too think it's deplorable that this thug gets to have his side upheld, BUT, it must be remembered that the law is not meant to be fair - it is meant to be just.  My law teacher at college was always quick to point out that the two things are very different. If an 18 year old girl had been in trouble for the same thing there wouldn't be the same fuss and in the eyes of criminal law there is no difference between an 18 year old and a 78 year old because both are adults.
Al Birmingham

CML-1591

Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

anglefire

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Quote from: greypoint on October 02, 2009, 06:35:24 PM
We're off to an open dog show tomorrow with our charity stall. Now some of you may have read the thread I posted about a wannabee photgrapher complaining about me taking photos. along with several others, at a couple of shows he was attempting to cover. My friend had an apologetic phone call from the secretary of tomorrow's show saying this 'pro' would be there and had  requested I did'nt take photos. Hmm - firstly I assume he will be taking posed pics of winners [you need to know a bit about show dogs to do this successfully!] - I would'nt muscle in on that - secondly - the lighting will no doubt be rubbish and all I'd take would be some record shots - thirdly - I have friends showing who like a record of their dog in the ring, this I do for free because it's a friend thing! I assume this ban will be on all the others with their camers too. My feeling is if you set yourself up as an expert your photos should be worth buying - would you buy -

I've just had a look at the so called 'pro' site. As Dave says, average at best. I'm guessing he just goes around with the camera set on evaluative metering (the darker dogs are all under exposed) and has an on camera flash, judging by the hard shadows. The only thing pro is the con job in getting paid for this mediocrity.

As an aside, I would be very interested to learn if it is just you who has been banned from taking photographs. . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Sarasocke

Sue - the photos I clicked on were all out of focus and/or taken from a strange angle, - I just love pictures of dogs standing in holes, there's a reason for me crawling about on the floor or even lying down.
The site is very confusing. Click on one picture and you get picture xx of xxx but not the picture clicked on. How does one get to all the pictures in each group ?  ???

I don't really see that everyone with a camera can be banned. Having said that, a similar thing happened to me at the crowning of the carneval princess this year. I was with the princess's family, the identity of the princess was supposed to be a secret until she actually entered the stage, and I was taking pics before anything actually got started - I was after some good candids. The organiser (since then dubbed by me Herr Wichtig - Mr. Important) told me I shouldn't be taking pictures at all as the identity of the princess was still a secret. The logic of this escaped me completely, others taking photographs weren't warned off by him.
It would certainly be impossible to ban everyone with a camera at a dog show. If you're on good terms with the organisers, just say that your pcitures are for your own private use.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

greypoint

Back from the show - as expected it was quite dim so I just wanted to take a few pics of my friends dogs as a record - high ISO as I never use flash on dogs in the ring. Did'nt take many as my elderly friend was taken ill and I ended up showing her dog [Best of Breed :tup:] and looking after her. Laughing boy had set up a little tent and was offering discounts by way of a voucher to class winners for a posed shot [kit lens plus on board flash -nice ;) ]. Just after lunch I was looking after our stall and taking the time to go through the pictures i'd taken earlier. Enter stage left one of the society's committee members [unfortunately someone I took an instant dislike to some time ago] to ask 'are you taking pictures of your own dogs?' - as I did'nt have any dogs with me it seemed a rather odd question and I replied I was taking pictures of my friends dogs as they had asked me to. 'Well i had to ask' she said - I resisted the temptation to comment further although I think my response to that should have been 'why?' and 'have you confiscated all the mobile phones too just in case someone takes a crafty snap!' How petty can you get :-\
Did get a few things ordered for our November show but it was a bit of a dead loss as regards fund raising on the day -  a 60 mile round trip to make £30! Hopefully will be providing photos for another charity that was there to help them raise funds so I suppose it was worth going. Did'nt get Best in Show unfortunately as the judge appeared to prefer working/pastoral dogs to gundogs - the fool, everyone knows Pointers are best!! ::) :2funny:

Oldboy

Quote from: greypoint on October 03, 2009, 04:45:23 PM
Back from the show - as expected it was quite dim so I just wanted to take a few pics of my friends dogs as a record - high ISO as I never use flash on dogs in the ring. Did'nt take many as my elderly friend was taken ill and I ended up showing her dog [Best of Breed :tup:] and looking after her. Laughing boy had set up a little tent and was offering discounts by way of a voucher to class winners for a posed shot [kit lens plus on board flash -nice ;) ]. Just after lunch I was looking after our stall and taking the time to go through the pictures i'd taken earlier. Enter stage left one of the society's committee members [unfortunately someone I took an instant dislike to some time ago] to ask 'are you taking pictures of your own dogs?' - as I did'nt have any dogs with me it seemed a rather odd question and I replied I was taking pictures of my friends dogs as they had asked me to. 'Well i had to ask' she said - I resisted the temptation to comment further although I think my response to that should have been 'why?' and 'have you confiscated all the mobile phones too just in case someone takes a crafty snap!' How petty can you get :-\
Did get a few things ordered for our November show but it was a bit of a dead loss as regards fund raising on the day -  a 60 mile round trip to make £30! Hopefully will be providing photos for another charity that was there to help them raise funds so I suppose it was worth going. Did'nt get Best in Show unfortunately as the judge appeared to prefer working/pastoral dogs to gundogs - the fool, everyone knows Pointers are best!! ::) :2funny:

Should arrange a meet up at one of these shows and we all turn up with our cameras.  :2funny:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.