• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 51
  • Total: 51
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Primed up

Started by chris@seary.com, November 13, 2009, 10:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris@seary.com

Since I got my new D90, I've found that I get autofocus again with all my lovely AF-D primes (if you don't know about the Nikon AF thing, don't worry).

In fact, I've gone back to using primes all the time. Love the fabby narrow DOF, smallness, wide aperture and the fact that I can do street shots inconspicuously, because they all look like standard lenses (even the 85 tele).

Particularly into the 35mm DX 1.8 - great for street photography, focuses really fast, can shoot almost anything with it, even portraits.

Anyone else here a prime fan? What's your favourite lens, and why?

picsfor

i only have the 2 primes, my 50mm and 100mm macro and both get a fair bit of usage.

Some times i will deliberately bolt on the 50mm as my walk about lens to force me to 'consider the framing' of the picture instead of just taking the lazy way out.
The 100mm was purchased for macro, but i'll use it for portraits as well because i like the control it gives me over DOF.
To add to it though, my next lens purchase  (or maybe 2) will be primes - mainly because of the apertures that you can 'cheaply' achieve with a prime over the same equivelant in a zoom.

Also though, i think primes make you think about your picture a little bit more before you actually press the shutter button.

That's my take on them.

Simple

I have three primes for my D300
nikor 50mm f1.8
Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro
Sigma 30mm f1.4 This is my favourite lens and is on the camera more than any zoom.

Oldboy

I've got a 50mm F1.4, 60mm F2.8 Macro, 105mm F2.8 VR Macro, 300mm F4, 400mm F2.8 all Nikon.  :tup:

picsfor

Is Oldboy being a tad modest?

Jonathan

Hmm let me think.....

10.5, 30 / 1.4 (Siggy), 50 / 1.8, 50 /1.4 (yes, both), 85 / 1.8, 105 macro (old school - no VR).

Which is my favourite?  Hmm, probably the 85 on full frame despite the alarming noises it makes while focusing.  On crop I like the 30/1.4 a LOT.
It's Guest's round

anglefire

I like primes I have to say. Though zooms do have their place!

Anyway, I have the 50mm f1.8 (Not a favourite, but useful at times), 85mm f1.8 - on full frame its cracking! And 400mm f5.6. Used wide open nearly all the time - unless I'm panning during motorsports photography.

I've also used the 300mm f2.8 - and that is stunning - Af is so fast - and sharp from wide open.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

irv_b

I only have a couple of primes 50mm f1.8 and a 100mm f2.8 series e (manual focus but one of my favourite lenses)
Maybe as everyone seems to have a 50mm, we should start up the "nifty fifthy" thread  from dcm again?
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Alfonso_Frisk

I have the Nik 50 1.4 which has not been used very much at all. In fact this thread has reminded me that Ive never had it on the D200 yet, only the D50, so as I have a few days off time for a play
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Oldboy

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on November 16, 2009, 11:05:48 PM
I have the Nik 50 1.4 which has not been used very much at all. In fact this thread has reminded me that Ive never had it on the D200 yet, only the D50, so as I have a few days off time for a play

It's a cracking lens but focus is a bit slow considering it's a small lens.  ???

Hinfrance

I love prime lenses too. I've got one old all manual 50mm that can realistically only be used for static shots as manual focusing is so much harder with a DSLR than it is with a film SLR - I think it's the focusing screens*. I'd love to have even just one modern one, but they are all priced way beyond my means.  :(

*yes, I know these can be changed - please see 'beyond my means' above.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

I`ve got the Nikon 50mm 1.8 which I love, the 105 Sigma 2.8 which is noisy but sharp. Sometimes I screw the 50mm on the end reversed for super macro and I am just trying out an 85mm 1.8 with a view to buying it from a Leeds Flickr mate. From the comments above I should buy it by the sound of it - better for when / if  go full frame than now on my D80 I feel bt it is fast and really sharp.

Bigbill

Hewwo from Flooding Sheffy(again)

I use my 50 and 85mm 1.8 Primes all the time,-did some stuff yesterday of a Harp in a Cemetary for a local bands album cover with the 50mm-and for the money they are STUNNING pieces of kit,
small,light,and give superb pics,OK you have to focus with your feet,but its well worth it.
The 50mm was dirt cheap,its never off my D80.
For newbies,i would highly recommend the 50mm,,,,cheap and gets you thinking about composition and stuff.

Shine On

On Saturday we will get a rare away win,,and its on SKY !!!!!!!(under comedy hour)

Hinfrance

Cheap - interesting term.

Pentax 50mm f2.8 macro £459
Pentax 55mm f1.4 £625

Or maybe the Sigma f1.4, a bargain at only £359

Looking at a couple of 2nd hand ones on eBay (but you never know what you'll get), cheapest recently for a 20 year old one around £125.

At least my all manual lens was only £12.50. Now that is cheap  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Bigbill

Hewwo from Submerging Sheffy,

I say cheap as my brand new Nikon 1.8d lens was £80,,,,,,which is money well spent,,,,
Its had loads of use in the few years ive had it,great for low light stuff,,,,and ace for portraits.
Maybe the makers cottoned on i dont know,best £80 ive ever spent !

Shine On

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.