• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 83
  • Total: 83
  • Google (2)
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Sensor filter cleaning

Started by jinky, October 03, 2011, 11:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

The old chestnut. As I have been doing a few landscapes with small apertures it is clear that my use of the blower and arctic butterfly is no longer enough. I have had a set of the wands and eclipse for at least 4 months now but been too scared to use them. What`s the best technique? I was aiming to:
1. Use the blower to remove dust specs.
2. Use the butterfly next
3. Use 2/3 drops of the right sized pads I have and sweep one way with one side and then back with the other.

I`ll be doing it in the bathroom in a clean environment with the camera facing down if I can. I have no loupe just a magnifying glass with a light on that is limited. I`m guessing I`ll need more than one damp pass.
Someone once bought me a sensor clean brush - like the lens cleaning one which I do use. never used the sensor clean one as it seemed daft to drag a dry pad over the sensor filter.

Any tips before I embark on what seems scary to me?

Hinfrance

I'm rubbish with wet cleaning sensors - I always end up with smears all over the place. Use two drops - sweep one way edge to edge, and then without removing the pad, one sweep back the other way. Throw the pad away afterwards.

I tend to remove the splodges individually using the map from the camera as a guide. Do you have the individual spot pick up tool with your eclipse set? It's like a very fine pencil with a small sticky pad on it.

It's always a last resort though - I prefer to use the dry lenspen sponge thingimibob. Apparently there is a new version out.

I've got my bodies on 'shake it all about' on start up and haven't actually cleaned a sensor for a very very long time, and not at all on the K5.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

skellum

Allways a bit worrying cleaning the sensor. I never liked or trusted myself with the fluid cleaners so for years now I have been using Dust Aid cleaning strips. I have never had a problem with them and even jimthetrain trusted me to clean his 7D for him.

Jonathan

Yeah looks like  plan.  Be prepared to repeat step 3.

My D3S got ridic dirty.  It took over half an hour and several wet passes but it's all good now.

FWIW I use these http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/product-detail.php?cat=2&product=19&desc=DUST-CLOTH+MF+Cleaning+Wipes+%28pack+of+50%29 plus a wand.  And an Arctic Butterfly.  And lots of liquids.  And a big bottle of isopropanol alcohol and a magnifier on a stand with a light :D
It's Guest's round

jinky

Thanks all. As I thought then. I`ll give it a go as I`ve just got a couple of jobs out of the way. If I make a mess there is always the camera shop in town to clear up after me. I have not got that tool  Howard - just the pads and the liquid. The magnifying glass is useless so looks like I`ll have to give a it a go and then test and keep carrying on. Don`t need perfect - just better than it is as when I have to clone more than 20 spots off it is getting tedious. Thank goodness I don`t do many landscapes just now! Mind you just had to do a corporate van shot sweeping past elland Road football ground in full sun. Needed f22 with my variable ND filter on max to get it right - lots of splodges in the sky!Thanks

Hinfrance

Paul, I just found the link to the cleaning stick thingy I've got HERE

Good luck with all the smelly fluids  :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

I just use the Artic Butterfly and it does the job. I also have the sensor loupe but hardly use it.  I expects one or two dust spots when changing the lenses outdoors. I spent ages cleaning the sensor once, as everytime I looked through the viewfinder I could see dusts spots, then realized it was on the focus screen!  :uglystupid2:

anglefire

I've cleaned my 5D several times to good effect with the eclipse stuff - but last time, it was so bad it went to Calument in town and they sorted it whilst you wait (Well, BIL waited actually :) )  (Cost £50)

I've done the same with my Mark III, but I sent it in for a service this year to Canon, and they fully serviced and checked it out including a sensor clean for about £130.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Markulous

I've been using the Copperhill Cleaning method for a few years with no probs - before that it was a SensorBrush as the Sigma cameras don't have the safety of a glass antialias filter bonded to the sensor like Canon, Nikon, etc Bayer sensors (so a "naked" sensor!  :yikes:)

Having said that, I've not had to clean the 7D once - I was very sceptical of the auto sensor clean but 18 months without manually cleaning........  :)

Whatever and ever. Amen
http://smg.photobucket.com/home/Markulous/index
Mark @ Photobucket

Jonathan

Quote from: Markulous on October 04, 2011, 09:40:42 AM
before that it was a SensorBrush as the Sigma cameras don't have the safety of a glass antialias filter bonded to the sensor like Canon, Nikon, etc Bayer sensors (so a "naked" sensor!  :yikes:)

It's worth remembering that this "safety" filter can't be removed from the sensor.  So if you mess it up you'll need a new sensor too ;)

BTW easiest camera ever to clean is the 'bald.  Drop the back off and there's the sensor.  Quick wipe with a magic brush (supplied at great cost from Denmark) and it's shiny as new.
It's Guest's round

ABERS

Quote from: Jonathan on October 04, 2011, 09:57:20 AM
BTW easiest camera ever to clean is the 'bald.  Drop the back off and there's the sensor.  Quick wipe with a magic brush (supplied at great cost from Denmark) and it's shiny as new.

I'm sure there's a typo there, then again perhaps not, just a Freudian slip!

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on October 04, 2011, 10:15:23 AM
Quote from: Jonathan on October 04, 2011, 09:57:20 AM

I'm sure there's a typo there, then again perhaps not, just a Freudian slip!

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

jinky

I am no longer afraid of the sensor filter. Took a few passes and there are still a few little dots but so much cleaner after giving it a go today. Used 5 pads and 10 drops of eclipse in conjunction with the blower and regular d700 shake up cleans and al but the last few are gone. Will do for me. Thanks for the advice

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.