• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 211
  • Total: 211
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Nikons worst kept secret ever?

Started by Jonathan, September 21, 2011, 07:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

It's Guest's round

greypoint

Are Nikon users more interested in a D300s or D700 replacement - discuss too?  :dance:

Jonathan

Yeah that's one of the things.

They have been leaping all over this mirrorless thing and kind of ignoring people saying "where's the D800?  Can we please have a D400?".  Like they did for years and the primes.

Based on a quick scan of the spec sheet I think.....

1. Clearly crippled for a later "pro" model - flash OR sensor cleaning?  Electronic shutter can only sync at 1/60???
2. As always - too expensive for the UK market
3. Sensor is too small - people are buying the X100 largely because of the sensor size
3. Mainly.....not Nikon enough to make it a no brainer for Nikonites.  As a dedicated Nikon owner I don't see why I'd buy this over say a GF1 - I would still need new lenses etc so it will come down to which is better for me.  If they had managed to cram a DX sensor in there and proper F mount then this would have been my next camera.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

It depends on which markets they are going for.  ???

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on September 21, 2011, 09:03:30 AM
It depends on which markets they are going for.  ???

They are going for the market that spends £800 on a compact and then buys more lenses....  TBH I'm not sure how much of that market will accept a sensor this small.
It's Guest's round

John Doyle2

Yet another type of Sensor! 2.7 Crop! Nikon have not done too well with their 'Coolpix' range! So, I guess that this will be a new source of revenue, especially with a new range of lenses to match the body. Ouch, the price, nearly $900/- in the USA for the high end model.. Olympus – Panasonic – Samsung are all much lower in price. Anyway, all the three of them are probably laughing today!

Jonathan

From our friend Amy's review on Techradar....

"it's a little disappointing to find options such as Aperture Priority hidden away in a sub menu".

I believe the cool kids refer to this as a massive fail.
It's Guest's round

Paul Montgomery

And it appears to need new versions of 'standard' Nikon accessories such as flash and gps. Do they think we've got money to burn?

Graham

The news has reached the Starship Enterpise!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

Graham.  :2funny:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

greypoint

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.