• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 228
  • Total: 228
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What does Serif Afinity do to RAW Files?

Started by SimonW, March 09, 2019, 08:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

I've always thought editing a RAW file would not change the file. I normally use Lightroom (v5) and this appears to be the case. However, to try out the new Serif Affinity Photo I made a copy of a RAW file, and afterwards noticed that the file size and "modified" date had changed. So does Serif actually modify the file somehow? Maybe metadata?

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

I've just done a test, as I use Affinity quite a lot. It made no changes at all to the RAW file. Bear in mind that when you create a copy the file creation date is the date you made the copy, not the date of the original. As for the file sizes, I have no idea, other than DNGs are weird (and in my experience much bigger than proprietary RAW files), although I did the same with a DNG I made specially for the occasion and the result was no change to file size.

Have you tried it with any other files?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

Hi H. Yes, I've noticed that DNG files from my Pentax are considerably larger than the Pentax RAW files. My illustration shows that file was created on 1st March, copied on 2nd, and changed by Serif on 9th. It was a spur of the moment posting; I'll investigate further when I find the time.

(My village is often crowded with motor bikes, but wouldnt you know, I havent seen a single one since you posted the challenge. I do prefer to take a new shot for the challenge, but today have heavy falling snow so I might be out of luck).

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

SimonW

(Mainly for H)

I can now confirm that my Serif Affinity does not in fact alter my RAW files in any way.

The first time I tested Serif I made a copy of the RAW file on my PC and renamed it by adding the word copy to the file name. It was this that changed the size of the file.

For this test I created three folders and copied the file directly from the camera to each of them. And after developing one in Lightroom and one in Serif they all still have the same properties.

Apologies for time wasting or causing worry, Simon

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Well now we know - well done for finding the cause.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.