• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 242
  • Total: 242
  • Google
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on March 03, 2016, 07:30:28 AM
It says my current "total paging size for all drives is 6071MB"
When I hit change it says Minimum allowed is 16mb Recommended is 9106 and currently allocated is 6071 as a system managed size. Gives me the option to custom size it and fill in 2 boxes
Initial size ?
Maximum size ?
Your 16gb suggestion seems out of kilter with what I am seeing.
I was getting a windows falg stating that my AMD/ATI video driver had stopped working on the two occasions I had problems but clicking for an online solution brought nothing up suggesting I try again later. Seems OK again for now. Not sure if I should do anything.

Total paging size for all drives is 6071mb equates to 6.071gb. As it suggest 9106mb ignore the initial size box but change the Maxium size to 8000mb and see how you get on. Remember, Virtual memory uses an area of your hard disk, so make sure your disk has plenty of free space. It could also be that your video card hasn't enough memory to handle the graphics and could be the problem area. In that case don't open so many windows.  :tup:

jinky

Cheers oldboy. I'll try that tomorrow. The 2nd time I did think I was overdoing the windows but not the first time. Firefox seems very tetchy recently and seen lots of negativity about codecs etc. Wondering if there is a link as first Time I had few windows open. Anyway seems OK just now but I've put monitor sleep to never and will up virtual memory.

Reinardina

Spent £9.99 in a charity shop, only to be asked, when paying, whether I want to donate £0,25!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on March 03, 2016, 07:40:37 PM
Spent £9.99 in a charity shop, only to be asked, when paying, whether I want to donate £0,25!

And did you?  ???

jinky

Should have just said "keep the change"  ;)

Hinfrance

How about 'yes, OK, but I was willing to pay £9.99 for it. Your call'.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

It comes up automatically on the till, and you have to 'press the red button' to say no. (The green 'enter' one, for yes.)
I told them I was donating £9.99.

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on March 04, 2016, 08:18:56 AM
It comes up automatically on the till, and you have to 'press the red button' to say no. (The green 'enter' one, for yes.)

When I brought some perfume last year I was asked if I wanted to make a donation, which came up automatically on the card machine.  I object to been forced to give a donation in this way. I always refuse, as I want to choose who I want to give too.  >:(

Reinardina

Same here. I donate regularly, in the form of buying stuff from charities, and I have given away hundreds of pounds worth of stuff, since I started renovating my apartment. I am also an off shore member of the RNLI; the only charity I donate to on a monthly basis.

I find it particularly galling, to ask for even more, when you are already buying something in a charity shop.

Hinfrance

It's worth checking out THIS and there is also a Guardian table of charity CEO pay, but it is, typically for the Guardian, organised uselessly, in alphabetical rather than amount order, and it has no dates - but judging by the sums in the table it is rather old.

I wonder if the charities on the list which do not disclose their CEO salaries are doing so for the right reasons?

I too give to the RNLI, but it is from habit. But it is a wealthy charity and if, for example, you wanted to leave a legacy for a lifeboat to be named after you there is a waiting list . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Paul Montgomery

Another RNLI doner here. It may sound odd, but I'm glad they have the money - when you look at their running costs. I'm always disappointed that they're not government funded...

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Paul Montgomery on March 04, 2016, 06:25:18 PM
Another RNLI doner here. It may sound odd, but I'm glad they have the money - when you look at their running costs. I'm always disappointed that they're not government funded...

Plus 1
I have a very good friend who is LB crew and i have witnessed a few "live" incidents.
Very brave guys and i too believe they should be full time and government funded.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

anglefire

Same thing for the Air Ambulances - they should be government funded too. Annoys me that some vital services are not paid from general taxes - but if the government can get away with it, they will.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Reinardina

I think (though I am not totally sure), that it is something very British, to fund life saving institutions through private donations.
'Charity' used to be administered by philanthropists through grand schemes, or simple deeds of kindness, like handing out food for the hungry, or looking after orphans. Rich and poor still donate to charitable causes, giving them the 'power' to choose their own preferred charity, and withholding money from those they do not want to support.

The charities are probably better off, receiving money from private donors, than out of the tax pot which would be constantly reviewed. And the amount reduced, if the annual sum wasn't used up, thus encouraging overspending.

Hinfrance

Money is invariable better spent by private individuals than bureaucrats. I support the RNLI because I used to sail and some friends still do. It also does what it says on the tin and has remained politically uncorrupted, unlike some other well known charities I used to support. It's bad enough that our governments waste (yes that's right waste) huge sums of money on ineffective and corrupt overseas aid projects*, just imagine the mess they could make of the RNLI.

In France we have the SNSM (RNLI equivalent) which is 65% privately funded and 35% taxpayer funded, so still controlled by the charity people. There is a strong ethos of charitable giving here - the annual telethon raises about €100m - and there is of course Medecins sans Frontieres which is 90% donation funded.

*recommended primer reading - White Man's Burden by William Easterly.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.