• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 164
  • Total: 164
parkcameras
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

DVD regions

Started by chris@seary.com, April 05, 2010, 12:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris@seary.com

When we lived in Australia, we extended our DVD collection somewhat. However, it appears that the latest generation of DVD players will not let me play the items that I legally paid for. Obviously, Sony, Paramount etc will exchange my kosher DVDs for UK region versions (NOT!).

So how do I get around these money grabbing little toads who wish to use software and the law to propagate their business model from the last century?    >:(

What's the best way to view DVDs from other regions? I've seen software for PCs that can unlock the region, but am a little concerned (being an IT security consultant) about installing stuff that I can't find in reviews. What about actual DVD players?

Can anyone give me ideas about how to play my legally purchased items on PC, TV or any other medium?

By the way, if anyone wants to give me a lecture about the value of copyright, and how we all suffer when we break it, I'm not vaguely interested    ;)   I'm perfectly legal, and I'm the one who is suffering     ;D

Cheers

Chris

Mick

Chris, take a look on the videohelp.com website, you might find a DVD player region hack,

Think this page might be a start, http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks  ;)

EDIT:  Oh, forgot to say, use at your own risk.  I don't want to be responsible for cocking up your DVD player.  :D
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

picsfor

Me - i'd buy one of those mutli region DVD (or now Blu Ray with up scaling) players that a fully mutli region capable.
I'm in agreement with you re-copyright issues. You've paid your money etc.

As for which one to get - not had a need to get one as yet so haven't researched the matter...

hevans

The stupid aspect of the DVD regionalisation is that DVD players are now so cheap (the cost of one or two DVDs) that it's quite cost effective to just buy a DVD player for the regions. Of course this has the downside of having several DVD players to a single TV.

In one of our PCs we've installed two DVD players, one for region 1, the other for region 2. Total cost of the new player was 15 euros.

Of course, you can always get DVD decrypter and burn your own region free backup versions.

Mick

Quote from: hevans on April 05, 2010, 12:52:36 PM

Of course, you can always get DVD decrypter and burn your own region free backup versions.

Or even DVDFAB decrypter.  ;)

I was thinking along the same lines as you H, but this method would be a bit time consuming depending on how many movies etc.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

anglefire

RIP them on to an external HD and play them via your TV via the USB port - if you have one of the later TV's!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.