• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 127
  • Total: 127
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

CHAT-WATER DROP-Weekly Comp 14-20 Oct 2013

Started by Hinfrance, October 14, 2013, 08:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiDiva

I did milk with foodc olouring for my Photography GCSE
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

kerbside

Chris, does say the following if you are interested in trying, other than that a raindrop would do.

Anything with a wateryg droppy theme,from raindrops on kittens to water drop setups, although I would especially like to see efforts at the latter which I have never managed to get quite right but which are, nevertheless a lot of (soggy) fun to try.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

jinky

Maybe I should have taken a shot of the water dripping fast through my landing ceiling before I managed to turn off the stop cock and call the plumber! Waiting for him now :(

Reinardina

Quote from: jinky on October 17, 2013, 12:53:24 PM
Maybe I should have taken a shot of the water dripping fast through my landing ceiling before I managed to turn off the stop cock and call the plumber! Waiting for him now :(

It will still be dripping, so get your camera and shoot away.
If it is an English plumber, you'll have plenty of time.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

jinky

No - plumber`s now been and done the job 15 mins before he said he`d get here. £75 lighter for new ballcock and gubbins. Maybe I should not have bought that used 50mm 1.4 lens earlier after all ;)

Hinfrance

Quote from: oggalily on October 16, 2013, 04:25:49 PM
Does it have to be water, Howard?  I tried one with milk a few years ago, and would be interested in trying something with paint after watching this cool video.  In it two guys pour paint on an old speaker and turn it up to full volume while recording in super slo mo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WKU7gG_ApU

Ogga, playing around with milk or paint could be mesy fun - rather you than me - although in fairness the theme is water drop and there are some entries already in. So I think we had better stick to water for this week. Of course you can colour it or thicken it I suppose, as long as it water to start with.

Sorry to hear about your ceiling Paul - make sure it doesn't collapse on top of you.

Just spent some time mucking about with water and sundry bits and bobs. Like Alan I don't have any retorts, and I can't find my microphone stands anywhere (how do they manage to hide?), so I used a step ladder with an old bit of wood on it to make a high up platform for an old 2 litre plastic bottle to be the header tank, got a piece of plastic tubing and fixed it to the head of an (unplugged) desk lamp placed about 40cm above a Pyrex™ bowl on a workmate in the garage. I didn't bother with a remote release, just squeezed the shutter gently. My main problem was focusing. I was using the macro lens, which I think was a mistake as it does not have sufficient depth of field to get the whole of a splash sharp.

I did try with on camera flash with the Lumix, but that was just too bright, and I didn't have time to muck about too much with that. I took some pictures of the setup, but then deleted them by accident. File recovery software can't find them, alas.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

Never in the field of human endeavour has so much effort been expended to achieve something so mundane! ;)

It seems to be turning out to be a test of dexterity and mechanics rather than a test of photography.  :doh:

I'm thinking calling in Heath Robinson for help to invent a water drip apparatus that will ensure a picture that doesn't resemble the other million or so out there.

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on October 17, 2013, 06:32:07 PM
Never in the field of human endeavour has so much effort been expended to achieve something so mundane! ;)

It seems to be turning out to be a test of dexterity and mechanics rather than a test of photography.  :doh:

I'm thinking calling in Heath Robinson for help to invent a water drip apparatus that will ensure a picture that doesn't resemble the other million or so out there.

The problem is, if it is a jumping water drop, it will resemble the others.
I'm not particularly keen on them, so I won't even try.
Not having the space, time or right equipment would make it a real struggle. And all for something I don't really want to do.

Weather forecast seems good for other types of drop though, so I haven't given up altogether.

kerbside

Reinardina, you could drop something into water, that would be a "watery droppy thing" as per brief.

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.

Reinardina

Quote from: kerbside on October 17, 2013, 07:38:02 PM
Reinardina, you could drop something into water, that would be a "watery droppy thing" as per brief.

I know, but I want to do it outside, in a puddle or a stream. The weather forecast may indicate, it has to be raindrops. Maybe falling in a puddle, if I can 'get' it without getting my camera wet.
I'll see what I can do, as I am a bit housebound at the moment.

spikeyjen

Here is my entry, my gorgeous border collie who has an obsession with water. Not quite a watery, droppy image, but I've no hope to get one like those shown. It does have water drops though

Hinfrance

Posted a few attempts, I am trying to decide which one to enter.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

kerbside

Well, went out for a ride, washed bike and saw this, on theme as a watery drippy thing so in with this, macro shot of the bike chain complete with drip.

Reinardina

Quote from: kerbside on October 19, 2013, 01:43:41 PM
Well, went out for a ride, washed bike and saw this, on theme as a watery drippy thing so in with this, macro shot of the bike chain complete with drip.

That's the sort of thing I'd have been looking for. Had some ideas, but haven't been out much this week, so probably no entry from me.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.