• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 222
  • Total: 222
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Netbooks

Started by jinky, August 12, 2011, 04:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

Much as I have tried to persuade her to go for a tablet or dare I say Ipad my wife has decided to buy herself a netbook as an early retirement present having quit the drudgery of teaching. She only wants to use it for email, facebook and internet. I was looking at the dual core 550/570 processor ones which are supposed to be fastest but all have just 1 gb of memory and come with start up versio of windows 7 to keep up battery life. I was pushing her to get 2gb of ram and also lookin g at an L? (IBM made) 11" laptop that had 4 gb of ram and full windows version whilst being just a little more than a netbook.

Thing is does she need it? Anyone know if 1gb is enough memory to keep a netbook going fast enough at start up etc given her limited use of it. She might be putting a few photos on too to show friends at times. Any fonts of knowledge gratefully received.

Oldboy

1gb is fine if that's all she wants to do. My cousin has one and it worked fine for displaying family photos she had scanned into it.  ;D

Hinfrance

Glad to hear that Mrs Jinky has more sense than to go for an overpriced fashion accessory (AKA fondleslap).

We looked at netbooks when our old lappie packed up, and in the end we went for another lappie - an Acer somethingorother with Windows 7 64 bit, 320gb hard drive and 3gb ram. Nice keyboard and a numeric keypad on the side. Lovely little machine that only cost £300. Typing this on it, as it goes. It weighs bugger all and the battery lasts plenty long enough for day to day use.

Obviously completely out of date now, it's more than 3 months old :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

jinky

Will they give us an extended warranty in those China shops abers?
I`m thinking the small laptop is the way to go - then when she gets bored with facebook etc at least I`ll have something I can use  ;)

ABERS

Quote from: jinky on August 13, 2011, 07:51:27 AM
Will they give us an extended warranty in those China shops abers?
I would think so Jinky, and they'd be as worthless as the ones you can buy here! ;)

skellum

We were once offered an extended warranty on a portable radio  ( Currys I think ) which would of cost nearly twice as much as the radio.

jinky

Curry made a mistake with my warranty when I bought my D700. With a sale on not only were they the best price in the UK but they only charged £39 for a 5 year warranty covering breakdown and accidental damage. I`m hoping never to claim but I was looking at the screen cots as I ordred and it should have been over !50 for this cover. Never thought I`d see the paperwork come through but have it safely stashed away - don`t ask me where though  ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.