• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 65
  • Total: 65
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

what do you think of these three ?

Started by Sarasocke, February 03, 2009, 09:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

Hi !
I took this photo of my friend's dog Jack this afternoon. 
I hit the wrong button when converting and desaturated the colours, thought it wasn't bad and then when the whole hog into b+w. What do you think of the three versions ?
Any general critique would be really appreaciated.

Oh, and how do I make the images clickable to link the gallery and the larger image ?

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

oRGie

Hi,

Nice dog :)

I think the black and white lacks contrast, if it was shot in b+w I would say a bit overexposed, the de-saturated version is ok, but the normal colour shot looks best. I assume you were going for a dog takng a sneaky look or hiding sort of thing, but the logs are so sharp they distract from the dog. maybe a bit of post editing, add some blur to the logs would bring out the dogs face more and give the shot more impact.

:legit:

Sarasocke

Thanks oRGie - as ever it was a quick shot - I thought he looked cute looking out from behing the logs. I see what you mean though aout the sharpness.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Chris P

I like the partially desaturated shot.  I think this technique works well but I also think it works best in a shot with loads of colour and there isn't really enough for it to be entirely successful.  I'd do a curves adjustment to add a little more contrast on both shots and see if that helps.

Eileen

I agree with Chris. I like the middle version but think it could do with a little more punch (and maybe just a touch more colour - can you reduce the effect a little?).

greypoint

I actually prefer the top one but it needs a bit of tweaking somehow or me - I tend to work on the try things and see basis so have no idea what I'd do! I think I'd crop a tad off the top -but again that's just what I'd do :D

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.