• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 87
  • Total: 88
  • Mick
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

New Tutorials

Started by Chris P, August 06, 2009, 01:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris P

Hi all

Just a quick request for some help.  I've recently written a couple of tutorials for new photographers about angle of view and the concept of stops in relation to aperture, shutter speed etc.  My aim was to try to put down in simple(ish!) terms those things which I had to look up and collate from different sources when I was learning about them.

I'd be grateful if those of you in the know would have a look at them and tell me if you can spot any obvious errors or mistakes and if they make sense.  Also, if any new photographers have a read and tell me if they make sense or if they could be better written it would be most helpful!

The link is here.  You can ignore the HDR tutorial which I am currently in the process of updating.

Thanks in advance!

greypoint

seems pretty succint and understandable.

Chris P

irv_b

I have been trying to open your website chris to have a look but it wont load on my computers (either  of them) for some reason I thought as a newcomer to photography I could give the laymans view :'( I will keep on trying though!
Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Chris P

How odd.  Thanks for trying Irv

Wonder if it's because the site is flash based?

Jonathan

Just read the first one.  Nice work!  Couple of comments.....

1. You've made it very easy for somebody to steal it.  Not only is it a PDF (which means I have a copy on my hard drive right now) it's an editable PDF - I can take your name and copyright off and publish it as my own.  Couldn't you just embed it into the site as HTML?

2. Did you think about doing the easy stuff first?  If you started with shutter speed and ISO you may find people stick to the end.  Some people will find the bit on aperture a bit techie an give up.

3. Couple of apostrophes missing first para page 5.  Let's and camera's.

But very nice.
It's Guest's round

Chris P

Cheers Jonathan

I'll sort out the grammar  :-[  So much for my high level of education!

I could put the tutorials on as text I suppose.  I'd not thought about it really.  I'll have a play and see how it comes out...

Oh, and you're dead right about the order.  I wrote it like that because it's (oddly) the order in which I learnt it but it would be easier going t'other way about.

Not going to do it now though as it's Friday evening so I'm going to :beer:

irv_b

Hi Chris I managed to get on it today and found it very informative and not to daunting
The only crritism I could really find was when you were explaining about the angle of view, it would be better to have the last paragraph on pg 2 with picture that it apertains to of the sensor/focal length ( pg 3 ) on the same page A minor thing would to be to switch the next page and previous page button to have the next page button on top it would seem more logical as you read down the page
Hope this helps
Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

anglefire

I read them the other day - and didn't have time to comment at the time!

You talked about Ev at one point, if I remember correctly - but don't really explain what it is or how it works. If you are interested, I do have a spreadsheet with the relationship between Tv and Av shown. (Only at ISO 100 - but the principle applies!)
The bit about aperature is technically correct, but the first explaination is slightly confusing - it is explained later in more detail, but the initial summary is as I say confusing.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Chris P

Thanks for the comments guys

Irv - I've moved the paragraph you mentioned - thanks for that.  I'd not even thought about the next/previous page thing - will have a look soon.

Mark - That spreadsheet would be great!  If you send it to chris [at] chrispirson [dot] co [dot] uk that would be grand.  I'll have a re-read of the EV bits and expand on it.  I agree with you about aperture as well - it's difficult to explain it completely clearly.  Will keep fiddling!

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.