• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 81
  • Total: 81
  • Baidu
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Extension Tubes

Started by Skhilled, June 19, 2011, 07:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skhilled

I recently purchased a Nikon D3000. Can't afford a proper macro lens yet but have been reading about tubes and how they are a cheap alternative. I do know they cannot equal a proper lens but wanted to know about any thoughts on this.

Some are cheaper than others and some do not keep the lens lined up as it should be although it will still work...from what I've been reading on the subject.

The lens that came with the camera isn't too shabby in macro mode. No, you can't see the hair on a fly's legs but it suits my purposes for now and does a half decent job on flowers, birds, insects, etc.

Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

bones615

Be sure to buy the ones with electrical contacts or you will not be able to adjust aperture/DOF. The cheaper ones will not allow this and you will be stuck with whatever your lens is wide open & the closer you get the less DOF you get.

Simon

Skhilled

Thanks, I think I remember reading something about that as well. The cheaper ones did not have contacts.
Nikon D3000

alan1j

Personally I think they are great investment and have taken some of my favourite Marco shots using them. I used to use them with my kit lens as that set up worked best. You must use a tripod though as with any macro photography because they require more light to give good exposure.
They normally come in a set of three, 12mm + 20mm + 36mm.
I have a set of Kenko tubes that cost around £120 new when I brought them about two years ago. I even use them with my Tamron SP90 macro lens that I have since purchased.

It's a great way to get into macro photography on a tight budget and once you get the hang of them your be hooked. And then want a prime macro lens.
I would recommend the Tamron SP 90mm Macro lens, New around £370 to buy, but it will not disappoint and is very well made.

Rgds Alan1j :tup:

Skhilled

Actually, I was looking at some Kenko tubes. LOL And a few others.

Was also checking out the Tamron products yesterday. ;)

Thanks for the info and I was already hooked the first time I took a macro shot with my point and shoot and started noticing things that I never have before. It just makes you want to explore more and more because you start to see things differently. :)
Nikon D3000

stevebedder

I know it's a thread from a while ago but thought I'd chip in anyway as I've got a set of three Kenko extension tubes and they are really good.

I've been really pleased with some of the shots I've got with them. It took me a while to get used to manual shooting with them on as the focal plane is so small and any movement at that detail, well you know the rest.

Most of the Macro shots on my Flickr gallery are taken with the extension tubes.

Steve

picsfor

another vote for kenko... even more fun when used on a proper macro lens.

DoF can limited to a spiders eye - needs an MPe-65?  :tup:

stevebedder

Would love an MPE-65 but not yet been able to get approval from the boss!

:'(

Cathus

The MP-E 65mm is a beast of a lens, but it is quite difficult to use, the depth of field at 5x life-size magnification is fractions of a millimetre.

I've also got a set of Kenko automatic tubes, I didn't have them long before I got a proper macro lens so I've not used them a great deal, last time I used them it was to get a closer focusing distance on my 600mm because I was too close to the bird table to be able to focus with my 600 from where I was sitting.

Skhilled

I can't believe that I have posted here since this topic. LOL too much work and busy helping others with their forums. :P

Thanks for the responses!  :D
Nikon D3000

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.