• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 71
  • Total: 71
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Help urgent windows 7 won't start

Started by jinky, July 10, 2014, 07:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinner

Quote from: DigiDiva on July 10, 2014, 07:45:22 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on July 10, 2014, 09:54:54 AM
Quote from: DigiDiva on July 10, 2014, 09:48:32 AM
When I got back from my holidays, my littlenet book just wouldn't work. I had todoa full restore and now Im having awful problems as theres no flash player and it wont lt me download flashplayer.

Try connecting your netbook to your PC and download the correct version of Flashplayer onto to it. The PC just see your netbook as another harddrive.  :tup:

I dont have a PC, its a MACPROso nocan do :-( however it was a good idea

Do you have another machine? Or access to one? Preferably one running OS X? If so use that machine to download the Flashplayer DMG file, put it on a thumbdrive and install to your netbook from the thumbdrive.
Or do you have one of the new fangled things that doesn't have USB ports?
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

jinky

My problem just won`t go away. seems every time there is an update I hot the same wall! After being away for the weekend at a wedding - switched on and all OK. Switched off at night and it said it was installing an update and would switch off when done. Knew there would be trouble this morning and yes there was. Frozen at window icon restart point. Switched off - restarted and said shut down incorrectly set system restore point. Did not restart again. Switched off and set off start up repair. Same again. Switched off and took plug out and restarted OK. Looked at update installations and it said that a windows defender update had field with error number 8000FFFF. Looked it up and followed an MSFixit routing hoping to sort it. On the restart it froze again. Ran the start up fix and this time it did start up. It`s working now and my aim is to edit / do all my wedding work leaving the the pc on until completed but I cannot keep going through this every update / turn off / restart. I`ve now turned off automatic updates telling them to let me choose when to download / update but no way of knowing whether I just choose not to let defender update or if it just threw the fault up with that as the last update. Funny thing is I keep getting defender telling me that Avast is not switched on - seems a known problem that I cannot do anything about. Could it be a conflict with avast? Am I best uninstalling that and trying a new one? Any suggestions please  :uglystupid2:

Hinfrance

Updates often look as if they have 'frozen' when they are working away in the background. Even with a fast system this can seem to take forever. Turning off the PC during this process usually results in a corrupted system initiation file - which sounds like your problem. I don't have any trouble with my AV, I use AVG on my main PC and Zone Alarm on the laptop, both W7 64bit versions. I also have Zone Alarm on the 'spare' Vista PC.

Have you run a disk check? I had endless problems with XP because of faulty sectors on my boot disk. Open explorer and right click on the boot drive, chose properties and then the tools tab, then error checking, check now.

Let us know how you get on.

I turned off updates on XP in the end too - they always ended in a disaster of some kind, but I have (fingers crossed) absolutely no issues with either Vista or W7.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: spinner on July 13, 2014, 12:57:17 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on July 10, 2014, 11:45:43 PM
When I got back from my holidays, my littlenet book just wouldn't work. I had todoa full restore and now Im having awful problems as theres no flash player and it wont lt me download flashplayer.

Try connecting your netbook to your PC and download the correct version of Flashplayer onto to it. The PC just see your netbook as another harddrive.  :tup:

Macpro is still a PC(Personal Computer). It should work just as well with your Macpro.  :tup:

If she has a Windows based Desktop (see how I avoided that whole 'it's still a PC' debate) it's not that simple. I run both systems. While my Mac can see Windows drives, the otherway around doesn't work. Windows has never seen fit to
program it's system to read OS X formatted drives. If she has an OS X desktop then it should be as easy as you say  :)

She has a Netbook therefore it likely has Android as a operation software. Regardless of the operations system on her MacPro, it should see the netbook as a external drive. I've used software in the past to allow me to read Mac files on a Windows PC.  :tup:

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on July 29, 2014, 07:03:44 AM
My problem just won`t go away. seems every time there is an update I hot the same wall! After being away for the weekend at a wedding - switched on and all OK. Switched off at night and it said it was installing an update and would switch off when done. Knew there would be trouble this morning and yes there was. Frozen at window icon restart point. Switched off - restarted and said shut down incorrectly set system restore point. Did not restart again. Switched off and set off start up repair. Same again. Switched off and took plug out and restarted OK. Looked at update installations and it said that a windows defender update had field with error number 8000FFFF. Looked it up and followed an MSFixit routing hoping to sort it. On the restart it froze again. Ran the start up fix and this time it did start up. It`s working now and my aim is to edit / do all my wedding work leaving the the pc on until completed but I cannot keep going through this every update / turn off / restart. I`ve now turned off automatic updates telling them to let me choose when to download / update but no way of knowing whether I just choose not to let defender update or if it just threw the fault up with that as the last update. Funny thing is I keep getting defender telling me that Avast is not switched on - seems a known problem that I cannot do anything about. Could it be a conflict with avast? Am I best uninstalling that and trying a new one? Any suggestions please  :uglystupid2:

It could be a conflict between Windows Defender and Avast. Try to turn off Defender, click start button, select Help and Support, type in the Help search box 'Turn off Defender', follow the instructions. Try that and see how you get on.  :tup:

jinky

Sorry not been able to get on here. 12 hour wedding and weekend in Scarborough for it and then editing non stop before I am away again down south/ It`s all go. At least the PC has behaved to get the editing done with updates switched off and no auto shutdown.

Howard  - I couldn`t even  even find the boot driver when I open explorer at first but when I found boot and got to properties no tool tab / error checking options were available   :uglystupid2:

Oldboy - when I type in defender or turn off defender and such nothing comes up a an option.

Deffo looks like a failed update for defender is causing the issue as it first failed when this problem started in early July I saw on a list and has done each time it`s gone wrong since.

SimonW

I'd say it's definitely a problem with running Defender and Avast. It's common knowledge that you must not run two anti-virus systems at the same time because they conflict and cause lock-ups. And I recently read an article saying Defender was very poor at its job and should really be uninstalled and replaced by Avast or similar.

Cheers.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Paul - Control Panel - Windows Defender - turn this programme off - simples.

Your boot disk will usually be C: - windows key +e opens explorer. Under 'my computer' right click on C:, select properties and then tools. Chose the first option - error checking.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on July 30, 2014, 05:30:31 PM

Oldboy - when I type in defender or turn off defender and such nothing comes up a an option.

When you click Help and Support from the start menu it should open a window. At the top should be a box with 'Search Help', click on that and enter "Turn off Defender" click the little magnifying glass and follow the instructions that appear.  ;D

Oldboy

Quote from: SimonW on July 30, 2014, 08:18:57 PM
I'd say it's definitely a problem with running Defender and Avast. It's common knowledge that you must not run two anti-virus systems at the same time because they conflict and cause lock-ups. And I recently read an article saying Defender was very poor at its job and should really be uninstalled and replaced by Avast or similar.

Cheers.

I have Defender running alongside McAfee without problems. If you do have problems then you are correct in suggesting turning it off.  :tup:

spinner

Quote from: Oldboy on July 29, 2014, 09:27:44 AM
Quote from: spinner on July 13, 2014, 12:57:17 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on July 10, 2014, 11:45:43 PM

Macpro is still a PC(Personal Computer). It should work just as well with your Macpro.  :tup:

If she has a Windows based Desktop (see how I avoided that whole 'it's still a PC' debate) it's not that simple. I run both systems. While my Mac can see Windows drives, the otherway around doesn't work. Windows has never seen fit to
program it's system to read OS X formatted drives. If she has an OS X desktop then it should be as easy as you say  :)

She has a Netbook therefore it likely has Android as a operation software. Regardless of the operations system on her MacPro, it should see the netbook as a external drive. I've used software in the past to allow me to read Mac files on a Windows PC.  :tup:

OB, she said it's a MacPro netbook, unless she's fiddled with it, it's running OSX. Yes Microsoft is capable of seeing Mac formatted drives with special software. You can't just plug the Netbook up to the PC it won't read the drive. I know I use both systems. I have plugged Mac formatted drives into my Win7 machine and you need to dig into the Admin privileges to see it and only then it turns up as a raw drive with no operating system showing. Apple knows all the external drives are formatted in NTFS now a days and will natively read them. MS is not so open minded.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.