• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,415
  • Total Topics: 5,708
  • Online today: 48
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 42
  • Total: 42
millets
RØDE NT1 Signature Series...Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....

What's the difference?

Started by SimonW, March 17, 2010, 08:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonW

Between a snapshot and a photograph?  :)
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

ABERS

A question with an infinite number of answers.

One man's photograph is another man's snapshot, and vice versa.

Jonathan

Pradar asked for questions to put to Martin Parr.  I suggested something along these lines.  They refused to ask him.

Seriously I would love to hear his answer.  I'm guessing it's something to do with intent.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on March 17, 2010, 09:21:48 AM
Pradar asked for questions to put to Martin Parr.  I suggested something along these lines.  They refused to ask him.

Seriously I would love to hear his answer.  I'm guessing it's something to do with intent.

I saw Martin earlier on this year at Islington and he was asked this question. I believe his answer was "purpose and audience of the picture"
A snapshot was felt to be for personal or family memory purposes where as a photograph was intended for a wider audience.
I think he dismissed the commercial value of the picture on that basis that every picture has commercial potential - just whether it gets viewed, considered and used for such a purpose
I think that's it.

I just remember thinking - i could go with that definition...

I think it was because you suggested it Jonathan - you know they're your number 1 fan  :tup: :2funny: He was not afraid to take any "honest" questions or enter into discussions about whether his work is good or not - and that was outside the designated question time.

Malcolm1938

Being logical I suggest that all Snaphots are Photographs but not all Photograhs are Snapshots.

Snapshot (photography), a photograph that is taken in a short moment of opportunity (Wikipedia)

A photograph - A snapshot that is better than you exected to be.
A photograph - A picture produced with careful consideration using a camera
A photograph - My awful picture of someone else 
A Snapshot   - Someone elses awful picture of me

I think that Jonathan is right - it comes down to intent....

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

SimonW

Our local annual flower show also covers vegetables, baking, handicrafts etc, and has a class for "A Snapshot" - with a specified subject which changes annually. My gut feeling is that the entries for this should not have any "photoshopping". - ie. snapshot implies not much time spent on it.

(I suspect that the judges wouldn't spot post-processing if it was carefully done, but I'd feel it was cheating. And considering that for the majority of the entrants photography isn't their main interest, if the winner was known to have been improved post-shot, it might discourage people from entering in the following year.)
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

ABERS

And there was me thinking it was an opening to an in-depth conversation about photographic themes.

However I bet that the veggie and flower entrants get up to some underhand practices to fool the judges! Examine their Hollihocks very carefully, and make sure those Haggis's aren't forced. :tup:

Graham

So there we have it then, "What is the meaning of life" answerd in seven posts! That's what makes this place what it is, reasond well thought out, and short, answers to difficult questions.
                         Until I pipe up of course.
                                         Graham.

PS  Is this a good time to say that I rather like the work of Martin Parr and I like his attitude even more.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Jonathan

Quote from: picsfor on March 17, 2010, 10:40:58 AM
I think it was because you suggested it Jonathan - you know they're your number 1 fan  :tup: :2funny:

Nah, I was one of the many proposing similar questions.  In fact mine was one of the more politely phrased - and I was genuinely interested in his answer.

They were afraid to ask him anything remotely "controversial" - hurrah for fearless journalism!

BTW not seen any Tweets from Amy or Rach for ages.  Either they have got bored, shut the website down or blocked me.  Any of those seem likely.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Amy & Rach - gone quiet?
Does that mean i have to go over to Prada to see if they are still present there?
Some one have an answer to Jonathan's question please!

deetus

Quote from: SimonW on March 17, 2010, 08:37:56 AM
Between a snapshot and a photograph?  :)

OK my two pennorth.

A snapshot is basically a quick shot of something that may catch my eye and has some interest.
A photograph is something that has greater interest and that I tend to take more care with, composure etc.

However anyone looking at my efforts may not see the difference  ::)

Simple

Here's my thoughts.
A snapshot is where the photographer sees something he likes and takes a picture of it.
A photograph is where the photographer sees something he likes, analysis why he likes it, decides on how to get that point across in his picture, and than takes the picture.

The trick is to make the photographs as quick as snaps, or in Martin Parr's case make photographs look like snaps. ;)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.