• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 148
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 154
  • Total: 154
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

THE MAIN STREET - CHAT thread for weekly competition (until Sunday 18th Jan)

Started by spikeyjen, January 11, 2015, 08:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spikeyjen

THIS IS THE CHAT THREAD

This week's theme is THE MAIN STREET
Think 'street', photojournalism, signs, shops, the ordinary (presented extraordinarily), people in cafes, cars on the sidewalk.

Feel free to interpret however you wish.  No restrictions on post-processing.

Pictures to be taken between now (Sunday 11th) and Sun 18th January 2015.

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 19thth Jan 2015.
Poll will be up Tuesday 20th Jan 2015.
Winner to be announced Saturday 24th January 2015.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to:
Post a topic on, or before the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc

Reinardina

You gave it a nice, wide interpretation, with signs and cars etc included, so our Friends in France may find something as well.
One thing though, some time ago, we agreed to extend the time you can take photos.
The 'Monday,' was dropped, in favour of an earlier start, namely the moment the new theme went on line.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Jediboy

I was wondering about that too R. I take it that rule still stands?
May the Force be with you.

Chris

spikeyjen

Thanks R, yes I thought that was right, but I copied and pasted from last weeks competition and it still had Monday to Sunday.

Have updated as suggested.

jinky

In fact last weeks was Tuesday to Sunday as we could not post on time between us so it ran from day of posting as per new rule. I`ll try and get an entry in this week - just so much on recently no shooting time.

DigiDiva

I'm working from 9am till 8 pm every day this week so unless I can get into town Saturday there will be no entry from me though I do have an idea.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Reinardina

Quote from: DigiDiva on January 14, 2015, 08:04:28 AM
I'm working from 9am till 8 pm every day this week so unless I can get into town Saturday there will be no entry from me though I do have an idea.

Main Street doesn't close, it is open all night! Maybe you can shoot something on the way home from work? or in your lunch break?

DigiDiva

The shopping centre near where I work is a mal not a main street so that's not an option. After work is hard. After an 11 hour shift the last thing I feel like is going into town. I live between two fairly main roads with shops but all you get there after dark are roller shuttered shops. However that has sparked one idea.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Hinfrance

I can't remember the last time I went into my nearest town. They've pedestrianised it, which is nice for the residents but makes getting in for a non resident a pain in the posterior. Or a long walk from the no longer free car park. In fairness the high street traders were dead against it from the start, and I have seen in the local paper that several businesses have already gone bust in the first twelve months. Pretty soon it'll be mostly tumbleweed outside of the tourist season.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

ABERS

The High Street comprises a chip shop (Chinese), a dry cleaner/launderette (Polish), a bookies, an Indian restaurant (Bangladeshi), a general store (Pakistani), a dentist (Swedish), a paper shop (Punjabi), an empty Barclays Bank, T.V. Repair (?), Ladies Hairdresser (English), two empty shops, a barber ( Polish) and a Financial Consultants which never appear to be open.

Nothing too exciting, but could make an interesting multicultural picture if I could get all the owners to pose for a group photo!  ::)

No Mr Bun the Baker, no Mr Green the Grocer, no Mr Chop the Butcher ad infinitum more's the pity. ???

Hinfrance

This is from Dartford, not my home town and not on the main street either, but an interesting juxtaposition anyway:

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Surely a sign, or a shop cannot be too difficult to find?

I actually did some 'shots in the dark,' in the pouring rain, while waiting for a bus. Nicely lit restaurants, lots of reflection and there is even a van on the pavement.

I am playing around with it though, as I don't want to enter a straight forward shot. I think the van has disappeared altogether in the editing!

I am sure we can take 'Main Street' with a bit of poetic licence; it does not have to be 'big city main street,' as suburbs and villages have their own main streets. At least here in Southampton.

Mine was actually taken in 'real main street,' but I started shooting (from a moving bus, in the rain) in the main street of one of the suburbs: a street very much like the one described by Abers.

Reinardina

Decided on an edit, that includes the van, so very much 'on brief.'

I'm in with:

Cubist Main Street with Van

Jediboy

Popped into my local town tonight (Wellingborough) to get some supplies. I grabbed this on the way, but had to be quick to avoid becoming a robbery victim. I avoid the town mostly but I live in a sleepy village and there is not much going on in the High St. And long may that last.

May the Force be with you.

Chris

spikeyjen

Some very nice images so far this week.
Here is mine: its from a café in our main street in Benalla

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.