• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 64
  • Total: 64
  • Bingbot
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What annoyed you today?

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 07:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Hi Mick,

Well, I ran a deep memory stress test for more than 12 hours and it threw up no errors. I haven't got the system restart thing checked - will look into that.

Today's efforts centred around another graphics card benchmark test - fell over immediately - and the going for a BIOS reflash. Only trouble is I can't get into the BIOS. Conclusion, motherboard is FU. So unless I can find a replacement - unlikely as PC is 6 years old now, it'll be a bit of cannibalisation of case drives etc, new motherboard, processor and OS.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

jinky

Good luck with that Howard.

Now I love my Fuji xt10 since I got it as my go to travel camera. Got just enough lenses for it to keep it nicely portable in a messenger bag and it`s sooc jpegs are phenomenal but..... Now getting the problems I`ve read of so often. First my thumb grip dropped off which I simply superglued back on as it is out of warranty and I couldn`t be bothered with the hassle of complaining. Now 2 front rubber mouldings / grips  have failed - which is a common online fault. I`m arguing with Fuji that 1 17month old camera used for travel as a back up should not have such problems. They`ve asked for photographic evidence which I`ve just sent but so annoyed. My Nikon D700 grips also failed thus and are awaiting repair when i get around to it with the replacements I have but at least that camera was a good 8/9 years old!

It`s all about the eco-friendly glue they use to do the job now. It just doesn`t work! Of course they`ll argue it`s the sweat in my palms / the hot climates I have taken it to but just not good enough. seems Fuji vary on response according to what area you live though Fuji UK have a good reputation. We`ll see....

Hinfrance

I feel for you Paul. One of my favourite thinkers Thomas Sowell said 'Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.' Applies not just to social history, definitely glue too IMO.

Back to my issues. Getting nowhere fast, although my motherboard is still a current item, and I did eventually manage to reflash the BIOS. Overclocking the GPU makes things a little better, but it's still crashing on photo editing. Just wondering whether to just replace the motherboard and hope for the best, or bite the bullet and upgrade everything.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Mick

H, what about temperature, is the heatsink clear of crud fluff dust etc.  Has it overheated in the past, if so it might need some new thermal paste between heatsink and processor.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Hinfrance

Thanks for the suggestion Mick - I've done the basic housekeeping (in fact do it regularly) and run CAM to monitor CPU, GPU and memory activity. If anything the CPU runs too cool, but there is no fan control utility for my motherboard. The GPU runs at 40-50C which is what it should be doing. However there could be CPU hotspots, so some new thermal paste might do the trick.

I think that given the difficulty of getting into BIOS - I was only able to do so after I disabled the Windows autostart on error, thanks for that suggestion, so I am still thinking motherboard or possibly power supply - maybe it's not supplying enough grunt when system demand racks up. The critical error code is the extremely unhelpful 41 kernel power, which basically Windows' way of throwing its hands up.

Unfortunately I have been unable to dual boot with Linux as the installer fails to see my Windows install and wants to overwrite the whole boot disk.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

StephenBatey

Mine's a computer annoyance as well. Windows10 (apologies for swearing  :)). At infrequent intervals Windows decides to auto rearrange my desktop to put all the icons neatly on the left hand side of the screen. I work from the desktop, clicking on the icons to bring things up, not the menus (I hate menus as time wasters, whether on a computer or a camera). It happened again yesterday and I've now installed Icon Shepherd which says it can restore the desktop when Windows does this (must be a common problem for someone to write a program to solve it).

At FREQUENT intervals, Win10 decides to hide icons on the taskbar, and I have to go into settings to restore the settings as I set them, rather than how Windows choose to reset them. I've just done this (again!) which prompted this rant.

And on a related topic - why did Microsoft implement the vertical scroll bar as they did? OS/2 got it right, and MS never caught up. Drag down on the bar, and veer outside the confines for a moment and it shoots up to the top. Watching the mouse position carefully to make sure it stays within the track and watching the screen as a whole isn't always straightforward. OS/2 simply stopped the scroll at the point you'd got to if you moved the cursor outside the area. Much easier.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Hinfrance

Sounds like a bit of a 'mare Stephen. I have never had anything like that happen to my desktop(s). Like you I tend to work from screen icons, just find it easier.

My scrolling stops when the mouse changes focus, and my task bar is stable.

Are you sure you've only got one desktop running?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

StephenBatey

As far as I know there's only one desktop running. The desktop rearrangement only happens when Windows Explorer restarts - either because problems with it locking up (yes, really!) meant I had to use Task Manager to throw it off (which includes the instance that displays the desktop) or Windows reboots (usually once or twice a week, but twice yesterday).

With OS/2 (from which I switched reluctantly to Win2000 when drivers became an issue) I had a pretty stable system. The only weakness was one which Microsoft advised IBM to include (against, so I heard it reported, IBM's better judgment) which was to not allow frozen programs to be thrown off (i.e. no Task Manager with teeth). I still think that in many ways, OS/2 was more suitable - and the OS/2 email program was better than anything I've used since for my purposes. As I've got Oracle VM VirtualBox installed, perhaps I should run OS/2  :D.
Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Hinfrance

You say you are rebooting at random too? That sounds more like a hardware or driver issue. What does the event viewer report after a reboot?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

StephenBatey

Quote from: Hinfrance on May 11, 2018, 01:58:01 PM
You say you are rebooting at random too? That sounds more like a hardware or driver issue. What does the event viewer report after a reboot?

As below - very informative, par for Windows.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

In other words, as I read it, the computer rebooted but we don't know why.

jinky

All these computer issues. Since the last update my bluetooth and safe to shut down / remove external drives etc have both disappeared from the folder appearing when you hit the upward arrow  at bottom right of my screen. It did this last update with the bluetooth button and I found a quick fix but cannot remember where that was or how I did it. All other links I`ve googles are useless. They`re not desperately needed but I`d like them. Anyone any ideas?

Later edit. I have my safe to remove button back but all mention of bluetooth has gone. Last time I remember I had to just switch the bluetooth driver back on. This time although a driver check tells me that the bluetooth driver is up to date and there in my settings there is no listing of bluetooth and no bluetooth button to switch it on

Hinfrance

I've pretty much decided I've got a motherboard problem, so it's new PC time. There goes another grand . .

In the meantime I can't do any PP work without the thing crashing, so apologies if I don't post anything or just rubbish for a while pending getting up and running again.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

Well bluetooth and safely remove hardware buttons are back on my task bar / pc after the latest big windows 10 update.

Mick

Windows update again.  > Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803

This time took about four hours to update before I could get on to my laptop, then to find it's logged me out of everything I was logged into previously.  Now having to find login details for everything again.  That does pi$$ one off just a tad.  :knuppel2:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Paul Montgomery

Today's annoyance...
Updated the OS on the mac. No problems there, all went smoothly. Annoyed by the amount of software that pops up a warning to say it won't work with future updates as its not 64 bit...
(Although to add balance, was pleasantly surprised by a couple of old bits that appear OK)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.