• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 121
  • Total: 121
  • Bingbot
wex
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Drone

Started by Jediboy, June 12, 2020, 09:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

After what must be a couple of years of debating, I have finally purchased a drone.

Went for a DJI Mavic Air 2 flymore combo.

I had my first flight today and I loved it. The video quality is really good, and I have plans for some projects I'm working on.

I'm like an excited little boy at the moment.
Its a great bit of kit for fun and can produce shots from a different perspective that I've never had before.

Just got to get better at flying it now.
May the Force be with you.

Chris

StephenBatey

Both income tax and lockdowns were introduced as temporary measures by the government.

Jediboy

Cheers Stephen. Praying for good wetaher so I can get out and play again.

Chris

Oldboy

Yes, have fun and enjoy. A chap I know has one, and the shots/video he gets over Sandwell Valley are fantastic.   :tup:

anglefire

Do you not have to be licenced to fly a drone these days? I know there was talk about it along with Model aircraft?
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

jinky

Quote from: anglefire on June 13, 2020, 07:30:46 AM
Do you not have to be licenced to fly a drone these days? I know there was talk about it along with Model aircraft?

I`m sure Jediboy will have been advised / have looked into it. I looked into it when I was doing wedding shoots and at that time you only needed a licence if for business use. Now I believe you have to register and do a free online course with the CAA to register as a flyer and your drone. You then just have to follow the rules re: how close to buildings / events you get and how high you go / keep away from airports. That said enforcement is poor anyway. When I looked into it I contacted the Police amidst confusion in online chat re: my situation. Left in no doubt that I needed to register and qualify as a business user but then found many venues wouldn`t allow me to fly over them anyway. Told then a a private user I was OK as long as I kept away from houses / buildings and concerts/ parks. A week later the same force did a Facebook appeal asking all to look out for an 11 year olds Christmas present - a drone he and his dad had crashed whilst flying above their house and neighbours` gardens etc. very annoying and I commented that they were flying illegally anyway. I got such a barrage of abuse for being a scrooge and having a go about a boy`s present  ;D. I explained the duplicity of the Police force in not applying the law as they had stated to me and people then understood my annoyance with them but it was typical of confusion at that time.

Jediboy

I have a couple of friends who fly drones for business and they are a good source of advice and information.

I have taken the CAA test and paid my fee, which gets me an operator ID. Sadly it seems that lots of people fly irresponsibly but I'm keen to do things properly. If I get more into it I may consider the next level which allows me to operate as a 'business' and fly closer to certain things. Buts thats one for the future. For now its more of a hobby and for my own projects.

Chris

jinky

Quote from: Jediboy on June 13, 2020, 11:21:59 AM
I have a couple of friends who fly drones for business and they are a good source of advice and information.

I have taken the CAA test and paid my fee, which gets me an operator ID. Sadly it seems that lots of people fly irresponsibly but I'm keen to do things properly. If I get more into it I may consider the next level which allows me to operate as a 'business' and fly closer to certain things. Buts thats one for the future. For now its more of a hobby and for my own projects.

Should be fun. I keep wondering but might leave it until my grandkids are a bit older to do with them.

anglefire

A couple of friends of mine are into it - as well as model aircraft - though one has upgraded from models to the real thing and has got his PPL and a share in a aircraft - which he basically can't currently fly due to the Covid-19 as its not essential travel - though could become a volunteer and deliver food parcels.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Jediboy

This is a photo from the drone, unedited and straight out of the camera. I'm really pleased.
This is the local park in my village.

Chris

Jediboy

And this one was edited in an app on my phone. Its not bad but will have a play in Lightroom on the Mac.

Chris

Oldboy

Two cracking shots but love the first one best. Really clear image with great lighting making the colours standout.  :tup:

Jediboy

Cheers Oldboy.
I agree, the first one is better.

Still getting used to flying it, but having loads of fun.
Considering taking the next level of license which means I can earn money (not my main goal) but more importantly opens up being able to fly closer to things and in places where I can't at the moment.
Will see?

Chris

jinky

They look really good quality pictures. Output from drones has really com eon since the early days. I`d be scared of crashing it / running out of battery and smashing it up  :)

Hinfrance

No need to worry with a DJI Paul - from the old Mavic air (which I have) upwards they all have something called APAS, which is an obstacle avoidance system - you can turn it off, I usually do, I find watching where I'm flying it is the best policy! Also when the battery hits 30% (can change that if you like) it automatically returns to home, and will land within 6 inches of where it took off.

And Happy Birthday :)

Here's one from my Mavic Air Mk1, jpg straight out of the drone (I does RAW too):

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.