• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 76
  • Total: 76
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Monitor calibration

Started by 2Beers, August 30, 2013, 02:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Beers

I have been trying to print some pictures of my sons Hillman Imp which is a bright orange colour and no matter what I try it insists on printing it a bright red.

So the question I am asking is will monitor calibration help with this, I am using Canon Photo glossy plus 11 paper and a canon mg 6250 printer ?

If I print it on plain A4 paper it prints the right colour.

Hinfrance

That sounds a bit tricky.

Does the car look the right colour on your monitor?

If so, and as the colour is correct on plain paper the implication is that the colour profile for the photographic paper is wrong. With a printer using 6 cartridges you should expect the colours to be pretty accurate.

So, have you had a gander at the Canon website to see if there are updates for the paper profiles? Have you tried using a different photographic paper selection? And lastly are you only using one profile: ie not telling the print programme to use one profile and then also letting the printer driver lay another profile on top?

If none of the above applies, then I haven't got a clue!
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: 2Beers on August 30, 2013, 02:34:14 PM
I have been trying to print some pictures of my sons Hillman Imp which is a bright orange colour and no matter what I try it insists on printing it a bright red.

So the question I am asking is will monitor calibration help with this, I am using Canon Photo glossy plus 11 paper and a canon mg 6250 printer ?

If I print it on plain A4 paper it prints the right colour.

Sounds like the printer profile for the glossy paper is wrong. Either check to see if you can find a profile online or use another profile for glossy paper.  :tup:

SimonW

I guess Oldboy is right. However, our bowling club has bright orange in their shirt colours, and it seems to be an exceptionally difficult colour to photograph. Our pin-up board has photos by several different people and no two show it the same.

I think I get closer than most, by being very careful that particular colour does not become "overexposed" - or is it oversaturated? Anyway, In Adobe Raw, I often need to use the "Recovery" slider with <alt> pressed to clearly show any overexposed areas, to reduce the brightness of the orange areas.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

2Beers

Think I have got it fixed to a reasonable compromise now as I played about with the profiles for the paper.
I was using the printer to manage the colours but ended up using PS  to manage them.

@ SimonW you are right in that orange seems to be a difficult colour to photograph. I have noticed that if I try to sharpen the image with orange it just gets over saturated.

ABERS

Having spent many hours of frustration trying to get colours 'right' when printing, I became convinced it was not having the right paper profile dialed into the print set up. This was, and still is, with the Lightroom print set up, which I think is the best, but that's bye the bye.

What you saw on the screen and what turned up on the print never were the same.

I use Permajet paper which comes in many varieties. It's when you look at the Permajet site where there is a facility to download the profile for the paper you are using, you realise how important this is. They provide profiles for each of their papers and specifically for whatever printer you are using, this convinced me of it's importance in the scheme of things.

They also have a bespoke profiling service specifically for the paper/printer combination if you so desire, but I find their generic profiles work O.K.

Oldboy

Quote from: ABERS on August 31, 2013, 08:36:37 AM

What you saw on the screen and what turned up on the print never were the same.

Remember, the image on screen is backlite whereas, the printed image is frontlite. This is why they will never look the same.  :doh:

ABERS

Maybe not so bright, but definitely the same.

2Beers

Quote from: ABERS on August 31, 2013, 09:53:36 AM
Maybe not so bright, but definitely the same.

Yep I am getting there the printed photo now resembles more or less what I see on the screen.

I agree that you need to have the correct profile paper/ink combination to give you acceptable results.

I have bought  a Spyder 4 elite from flea bay so will see what its like when I calibrate my mointor

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.