• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 283
  • Total: 283
  • Google
  • Bingbot
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

My First Outdoor Night Shoot

Started by Just Dave, January 27, 2011, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Dave

Hi

Last night me and a few friend went to Liverpool Castle Rivington, for our first model outdoor night shoot, heres the images any comments and help appreciated. how did I do

Joanne Night Shoot At Liverpool Castle Rivington Chorley Lancashire by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

BW Version

Joanne Night Shoot At Liverpool Castle Rivington Chorley Lancashire by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

BW Version

BW Version

Dave
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

SimonW

For me, I much prefer the mono ones - I think it's because the touch of green of grass detracts from the colour versions. For me they would probably work better if you just browned out the green.  Pretty good shots anyway, and I hope the model didn't get too cold.

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

picsfor

Agree with Simon, monotones are preferable.

Not happy with the pose, but you appear to have got the lighting right...

Mind you, i've got another shoot on Saturday (if my camera holds out  ???) so we'll see if i can do any better then!

But if you want to see how a pro would do - follow this link...

http://peoplebyryan.com/photoblog/paris-cool

yeah it's one of Jonathan's - but i'm sure he would have givne you the link himself once he logged in  ;)

alan1572

the first mono for me, nice shooting
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

skellum

The model seems to be concentrating her attention to a photographer on the far left which I thought would of been the best angle for the shot.  You can tell the photographer is talking to her. Then again if your in a group you have no choice.
If you give me a ring and arrange your own model you could experiment in my shop/studio.... :legit:

Trickee

Not tried anything like this yet so i can only tell you what i see.

The pose looks a little awkward and for colour the green is a distraction mono definitely looks better as others have said.
The background wall is very gritty i would have got closer and done some head and shoulder shots. Would of tried to use the lines on the wall to lead in towards her face.
She's a cracking looking model.
Did you take any other shots with her standing? or leaning against the wall. Hard if your in a group to get into position.
lighting looks great. :tup:

How much does this sort of thing cost Dave?

Jonathan

Yeah it looks like you had fun.  Couple of things.....

1. (and this is the big one for me) it doesn't look like a night shoot.  If you're going to shoot at night then it's really nice to include some clues that it's night.  This is an evenly illuminated area with a girl sitting in it.  Joe McNally has some quote about the bits you don't light being more important than those you do.

2. 27mm is never going to be a flattering lens for portraiture.  You have to be ultra careful to keep the back parallel to the subject.  Looks like you've done a good job of that but coupled with the posing I don't think this is particularly flattering - especially the first shot(s) where her lifted leg bunches the dress together and makes it look like she has huge thighs.

3. Do you have any other poses?  Always good to shoot a range and see what works.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on January 28, 2011, 08:16:23 AM

Joe McNally has some quote about the bits you don't light being more important than those you do.

That sounds rude!  :P

nickt

Would a snoot be better (or a grid) as the light falloff would be a bit more dramatic. It would also show that it was a night shoot. Wre you using flashguns or studio lights?

Nick

Just Dave

Thanks very much for all your feedback and ideas,

Joanne isnt a pro model, she just modelled for us, I think she did great we were there 4 hours, it was freezing, we had good fun and a laugh,

We had 2 safari flash lights and soft boxes, torches and I had my flashgun on and off camera,

this is Haley in the next shot, Im not to happy with her hand, mainly fingers, I have some more that more night time portrait, I will post them for further crit I learned quite a lot from the night, thanks again for all your help and comments,

Jonathan what lens would you suggest please

Dave thats a great idea, I have friends who will model,

Hayley Night Shoot At Liverpool Castle Rivington Chorley Lancashire by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Hayley Night Shoot At Liverpool Castle Rivington Chorley Lancashire by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Dave
Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

Jonathan

Quote from: Just Dave on January 28, 2011, 10:51:01 PM
Joanne isnt a pro model, she just modelled for us, I think she did great we were there 4 hours, it was freezing, we had good fun and a laugh,

She did great.  But that's also part of your problem.  First time for you, first time for her - what are the odds it will be perfect...?

The pic that Picsfor linked to is with a professional model.  I literally have "models" emailing me most days asking me to photograph with them.  But I wanted something very specific so I got Anita to model for me because I knew that she would be great.  It's like squash - play with people better than yourself and you'll improve a lot faster.

We had 2 safari flash lights and soft boxes, torches and I had my flashgun on and off camera,

Wow - LOADS of power.  Those Safaris are cool (I think I'm contractually obliged to say that since Lencarta started paying me...).

this is Haley in the next shot, Im not to happy with her hand, mainly fingers, I have some more that more night time portrait, I will post them for further crit I learned quite a lot from the night, thanks again for all your help and comments,

The problem with her hand is the lens again.  It's at the edge of the frame and slightly closer.  A trick of optics makes it look massive.

This one's kind of nice but the lighting it a little flat for me.  Was it small softbox/bare flash at the front slightly to camera left?

A light behind her to give some nice rim would have looked cool.

Jonathan what lens would you suggest please

Longer ;)  I do more than perhaps I should with my 24 - 70 but for portraits I use the long end.  For preference I often use the 70 - 200 set at 100 - 150 ish for full length.  That means being quite a long way away and it takes practise to maintain rapport at that distance.  Lots of fashion togs like a 300mm for outdoors though you practically have to phone your model up to tell them to move.  I just got a 105 DC so I suspect I'll be playing with that a lot soon :D
It's Guest's round

nickt

Jonathan, how did you get the blue toning in your shot. Was it done in post production?

Nick

Just Dave

Many thanks Jonathan for taking the time to give advice,

Yes big learning curve needed,

I think the Safaris are 600 Watt each, flippin 12v batteries are nearly as big as car ones LOL

I cant afford a new lens at the moment, I have a sigma 105mm macro/prime 2.8  is that any better Id love a 70-200L but I need to save up

Think I used a off camera flash with a snood, really I need to make notes, but it was real dark, Ive got a Dictaphone so could make verbal notes but then Id feel stupid LOL

Ive got a free tutored shoot in a studio on the 9th feb at a Preston studio called Studio Events   Clicky linky I know its a Promotion thing, but the experience will be good

Cheers Jonathan, I'll post the pics from then and I expect you to be super critical  :legit:

Skhilled

You can tell she isn't a pro model but she does have a special charm about her. :)
Nikon D3000
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6.G VR
Nikkor 70-210mm f4-f5.6 AF Macro Zoom
AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6.G ED VR

Just Dave

Quote from: Skhilled on January 29, 2011, 01:22:27 PM
You can tell she isn't a pro model but she does have a special charm about her. :)

I never said they were pro, just a couple of friends willing to freeze and model for us, both did fab, even daring to get changed BRRRRRRR,

I learned loads, about lighting, well I think I did, got a better idea now, a bit trial and error, but hey It was a fun night, thats what its about, some of the pix came out good well for me anyway can see theres plenty of room for improvement  I agree :tup:

I have a couple more then thats it I promise LOL  (well from this shoot  :legit:)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.