• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 193
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 114
  • Total: 114
  • Google
7ds
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

I've never seen....a filmic topic....

Started by greypoint, November 21, 2009, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greypoint

An item about a run on a bank heard on the radio whilst at work yesterday led me to muse on the film It's a Wonderful Life and I was somewhat bemused to find neither my boss or his mate [both over 65] had seen it or even heard of it. I've lost count of the times I've watched it. But then I thought of all those 'everyone's seen' films that have passed me by....The Sound of Music, Gone With The Wind, Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia,Mary Poppins, Silence of The Lambs, Nightmare on Elm Street, Notting Hill, all the Harry Potter and Hobbit stuff....... and almost everything made in the past 5 years!
What's your choice when it comes to an evening in with a movie and what leaves you cold?

top totty

For me any biblical Ben Hur/Sparticus/Ten Commandments, God Father Triology, the Sopranos, Battle of Britain, Silence of the Lambs, quite like the last two 007 films.

At the minute I'm loving it that Jordon is getting all the Bush Tucker Trials, the trollope :)

picsfor

not a big watcher of films etc when i'm in. Tend to watch documentaries if i'm gonna watch anything.

Of the films i do watch they tend to fall in the comedy bracket - though i do enjoy the LOTR trilogy and the Harry Potter stuff.
Favourite film i suppose would have to be Life of Brian - so many classical lines in that film.

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on November 21, 2009, 08:29:49 PM
not a big watcher of films etc when i'm in. Tend to watch documentaries if i'm gonna watch anything.

Of the films i do watch they tend to fall in the comedy bracket - though i do enjoy the LOTR trilogy and the Harry Potter stuff.
Favourite film i suppose would have to be Life of Brian - so many classical lines in that film.

You mean, "What have the Romans ever done for us?"  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

greypoint

why are films always so much better when they're B/W? Modern films seems sometimes to have an over reliance on slick technology. Can't beat a bit of film noir from the 40s/50s - or almost anything by Hitchcock. Other B/W goodies - The Third Man, Brief Encounter, Rebecca  and Went The Day Well. And of course film stars are'nt what they were then either!

picsfor

Quote from: Oldboy on November 21, 2009, 11:13:08 PM
You mean, "What have the Romans ever done for us?"  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

"I'm Brian and so is my wife!"

Hinfrance

Nostalgia is definitely not what it used to be . . .

The main problem I have with most modern films, not all, some are superb, is the appallingly bad scripts.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

chris@seary.com

Quote from: greypoint on November 21, 2009, 11:59:10 PM
why are films always so much better when they're B/W? Modern films seems sometimes to have an over reliance on slick technology. Can't beat a bit of film noir from the 40s/50s - or almost anything by Hitchcock. Other B/W goodies - The Third Man, Brief Encounter, Rebecca  and Went The Day Well. And of course film stars are'nt what they were then either!

Don't forget that time tends to sort the wheat from the chaff. Many of the films in the cinema now won't be remembered at all in thirty years' time - only the good ones will still be seen, and everyone will say how much better the films were back in 2009!

We tend to think of the 1950s as a time of fabulous quality films. If you look through a film almanac you'll see it was an era of mostly poor quality, cheaply made crap, with loads of dodgy horror, sci fi and anti-communist propaganda.

A kind of summing up of some of the era can be seen through the life of a chap called Ed Wood. Here's the guy's life story, and the films that he made (including Plan 9 from Outer Space):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_wood

You couldn't make it up, could you?

They made a movie of Ed's life story, starring Johnny Depp:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Wood_(film)

I recommend this - very funny.

picsfor

Quote from: Tringle WP on November 22, 2009, 09:20:53 AM
Nostalgia is definitely not what it used to be . . .

And back we come to "what did the Romans ever do for us..." - whilst not intentioned that way no doubt, it could just as easily been included in a Python sketch or film!
Quote from: chris@seary.com
quote]
We tend to think of the 1950s as a time of fabulous quality films. If you look through a film almanac you'll see it was an era of mostly poor quality, cheaply made crap, with loads of dodgy horror, sci fi and anti-communist propaganda.

But Hammer made a name on dodgy horror, and most Sci Fi's of the era were stuck with the special effects of the time. I wonder what they would have done with current special effects?

I think in all eras you have a large supply of chaff with very little wheat - as for cheaply made, i think most are made for as little as possible - it's just that budgets sound more now. After all they have to have specially accredited burger vans and bottled water suppliers. Some one to vacuum the red carpet from the set to their trailer van etc. Have you looked at the credits of a modern day film compared with a film from the 50's? I'm waiting for an Oscar to be announced for the best end credits! And when will the body doubles jave to have their own stunt doubles? As for 'no animals were hurt in the making...' when will that have to include plant life, environment, carbon statistics etc.

spinner

Quote from: greypoint on November 21, 2009, 11:59:10 PM

Well I like both, but very little in between. Stuff from the 70's & 80's were mostly crap. They tried to be slick, but looking back they are badly dated IMHO.  :P
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.