• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 68
  • Total: 68
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldboy

Quote from: New Forest Man on August 23, 2015, 10:41:38 AM
Only to find its raining today and I now have all day to play with it ! :) :beer: :) :legit:

I got soaked today! Should have put on my waterproofs!  :doh:

Reinardina

My very severely cropped, high ISO, low quality picture of my new kitchen tiles, went to Explore on Flickr, and had so far, well over 10.000 views, and over a hundred people 'faved' it. Can you credit it?

'Explore' is all about 'interestingness' but how interesting are wall tiles?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Don't think I've had 10,000 views on flickr cumulatively over the past seven years or so.

OK, just checked. Apparently I have about a quarter of million views all tolled, which is still rather pants . . my most viewed photo is less than 10,000, and that's been on the site for years.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I have had photos 'Explored' in the past, but two, three years ago, that meant 300 to 500 views. Now it is in the thousands.

I regularly have a look at the Explore photos, but only click on the ones that appeal to me. There seem to be people, who look at all of them, as you see the same names cropping up in the comments.

spinner

Quote from: Reinardina on August 26, 2015, 07:58:51 AM
My very severely cropped, high ISO, low quality picture of my new kitchen tiles, went to Explore on Flickr, and had so far, well over 10.000 views, and over a hundred people 'faved' it. Can you credit it?

Oh, its the mugs, has to be the mugs.  :dance:
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Reinardina

Quote from: spinner on August 30, 2015, 07:46:20 PM
Quote from: Reinardina on August 26, 2015, 07:58:51 AM

Oh, its the mugs, has to be the mugs.  :dance:

Now that is something I never even thought about. I've had them for over three decades, so I don't really 'see' them anymore. You could well be right. They must be interesting to a computer somehow.
(Well over 12.500 views by now.)

Hinfrance

Yesterday I installed W10 on to my HDD, no problems whatsoever. Even Cubase  is running well on it.

Yesterday afternoon I tried to do the same with my SSD. The "Get Windows 10" dialogue sticks the 10 second™ preparation window with "Working on it" displayed for, well forever. So I got the download installation tool from the MS site. The process then started. After an hour and a bit of download and then another hour and a bit of installation it stopped with an error message and reverted to W7.

Having another go this morning, but if that fails too then I'll just clone the HDD to the SSD. I've got disk images of both drives, just in case.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

This morning in Vienna: a little old lady slowly walking along the pavement, dragging a dog collar on a lead.
Ten yards behind her, a small, old dog, slowly following.

Before it had registered properly, someone had pointed it out to her, and dog and owner were reunited.

Such a funny sight, sadly no camera handy.

SimonW

H,

Just a note of caution. During my painful Windows 7 to 10 experience I discovered that one cannot roll back from 10 to 7 more than once. So if you got back to 7 successfully best ensure the problem is resolved before you try again.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

It's OK Simon, it just wouldn't do it automatically from the W10 widget. Downloading it from Microsoft and running the install manually ran like clockwork.

The only issue I have had is that occasionally waking up from sleep mode causes a BSOD on account of a slow response from the graphics card memory - but this only happens if I have the Cubase e-Licencer plugged into a USB port at the time - so it's something to do with the dongle, not W10 or the graphics card per se. As there is an automatic reboot and my boot time is now around 20 seconds this is not much of an problem.

Reinstalling all the effing software licences for the music software, all of of it mega tied down to motherboard and OS, was a pain in the posterior, but hey ho . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

spinner

I think I may have posted my Win 10 issues on an older PC. Ran like an old dog. Read how there's all sorts of complaints on Reddit about it being a resource hog. Tried all suggestions and no improvement. Then the penny dropped. Ran Memtest. Sure enough got bad memory stick/sticks. :-[
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

Hinfrance

One of the old florescent tubes in the basement packed up. Off I trot to the shops for a new one. In the lighting rack alongside the replacement tube I am looking for (a 38w one) there is, for just under 5 times the price, a new LED replacement lamp. It promises just over half an extra lifetime of use compared to the old style florescent tube and will use just over half of the amount of electricity, at 20w. Then I decided to read the small print, because in my experience the drawback with LED lighting is that, well, they are not that bright. And there it was. The light output from the LED was 1700 lumen. The light output from the old tube is 3380 lumen. So I would need two of the LED tubes to get the same light, an extra light fitting, pay 10 times the price and use the same amount of power. I passed.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Hinfrance

Yesterday a friend and neighbour 'phoned (from her land line). She explained that she had decided to upgrade from her Samsung Galaxy to an iPhone 6, because the former, and I quote, couldn't receive photos (whatever that means - its memory was probably full, so she'll get the same problem with the iPhone eventually, possibly, see the following). So she trotted off to the Orange shop, surrendered the Galaxy and got her brand spanking new iPhone. Which worked for less than 8 hours before freezing completely. She asks me if I know what to do to get it working. I have no idea, since my recommended maintenance regime for Apple products consists of placing the offending article in a suitable Pyrex dish and then topping it up with a nice strong acid until the problem has gone away. I didn't suggest that though, as she wouldn't have been able to get a replacement for an acidic solution of metals and ecthed glass. We'll see how it goes. ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

Took my D800 into Calumet photography store as I couldn't access any menu or even zoom in on pictures. Couldn't even clean the sensor since July when the problem first started. While handling the camera presses the lock image button and the menus appear! So, for three months whilst using the camera almost every day, it seems I didn't touch this button? The lady who was serving me said it appears to be sticky button. Sticky keys I've heard of but sticky buttons never! It's now gone for repairs.  :doh:

Reinardina

Rural Austria: the bus stops for a few minutes, because it's early.
Young man speaks to the driver, gets out, crosses the road and uses the nearest tree to relieve himself. With his back to the bus, but in full view. Very relieved young man re-boards the bus, and we're on our way again.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.