• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 91
  • Total: 91
aliexpress
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

World Press Photo 2017

Started by jinky, February 14, 2017, 10:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-38955285
A unique moment captured or glorifying terrorism and giving the killer the martyrdom / celebrity he carved? Personally I cannot see how they gave this one the win. Other than it`s immediacy it gives nothing new.
In this clip I also fail to understand the 2nd place award in the long term project of the 2 Iranian girls (blurred ) dancing and appallingly lit.
I have always loved that Usain Bolt shot - deserved better for me, although the Grand National shot that won(not shown) was also very good.
Also love the Cuban truck shot, the panda and the poachers in handcuffs.
Where do you stand on the winner?

Beaux Reflets

Below expectations was my immediate thought in response after opening the link.

Sensationalism's probably the worst thing from a photographic point of view when it obliterates achieving a photograph breathing Quality; but then it's instant media stuff where quality is usually the last in line of considerations. A big shame that the selection committee did not choose an image that celebrates and displays really good Photographic skills.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

anglefire

The Usain Bolt shot is class. One or two of the others are ok. The first one is nothing special photographically - but good for a news headline.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: anglefire on February 14, 2017, 06:46:59 PM
The Usain Bolt shot is class. One or two of the others are ok. The first one is nothing special photographically - but good for a news headline.

Yes the Usain Bolt shot is way out in front  ;)  in my view as well.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Oldboy

The whole point of the competition is to capture the event as it happens. The criteria is to get the shot and you only have one chance to do it. You can't recompose and redo the shot. You can't even get in the best position and, in a situation like that, people will be pushing past you, in a panic, to get out of the way. The photographer themselves, may be scared but they still got the shot. It's action shots that sell newspapers and the more graphic the higher the sales.  8)

anglefire

Oldboy, I didn't look at the rules TBH - but 90% of the pictures didn't look like stressful once only shots - looked very staged and planned. Or is it just me!
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

Quote from: anglefire on February 15, 2017, 09:01:19 PM
Oldboy, I didn't look at the rules TBH - but 90% of the pictures didn't look like stressful once only shots - looked very staged and planned. Or is it just me!

I was mainly referring to the winning shot, at an art gallery in Ankara by Associated Press photographer Burhan Ozbilici, and I agree that some of the shots are staged.  :tup:

anglefire

Yes the first shot is indeed stressful - but only because we know the circumstances.
Mark

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.