• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 123
  • Total: 123
  • Google
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Tripods

Started by bones615, January 23, 2010, 04:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bones615

Looking to upgrade my tripod & pretty much decided on this Giottos, looks man enough to handle the Bigma & useful for macro.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-giottos-mtl9361b-mh5001-tripod-kit/p1518591
Any views on this or Giottos in general or maybe a different suggestion at this price or lower.

Simon

picsfor

I'm not a Giotto man myself - but that doesn't look man enough to hold a Bigma in portrait position without it slipping.
Hope i'm wrong but i have my doubts.

Question is - what are the intended uses for the tripod?

bones615

Intended use, mainly for macro indoors and very occasional use with the bigma. Bigma & 400d weigh less than 4kg, the head is rated at 6kg & legs 8kg so my theory is it should cope with room to spare for future kit upgrades.

Simon

Oldboy

I have this one, (see below),  which I got at Jessops for £89 without a head but then I have four. It takes upto 10kg and works a treat and very stable.  :tup:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-giottos-mtl9271b-vertical-column-aluminium-tripod/p1518585

I brought it because it weights 2.2kg against my Manfrotto 6kg.  :o

bones615

Looks good Oldboy but I liked the idea of the adjustable angle on the centre column which is why I have a preference for the 9361. How does the Giottos build quality compare to Manfrotto?

Simon

Oldboy

Quote from: bones615 on January 23, 2010, 05:15:50 PM
Looks good Oldboy but I liked the idea of the adjustable angle on the centre column which is why I have a preference for the 9361. How does the Giottos build quality compare to Manfrotto?

Simon

Build quality is a lot better and it's half the price I paid for my 190B Manfrotto and takes twice the weight.  ;D

irv_b

?Sorry Simon seems I missed thios thread (Andrew mentioned it yesterday)
I have a Giotto tripod (M9251B) which I have had for the past 18 months and have no complaints .I used a D300 and with my lheaviest lens attached (Sigma 70-300 dg apo) it copes easily (approx total weight 3.5lb) so I would imagine the model you are looking at - which is a model up from mine should cope .Build quality wise I think they are great tough sturdy but still relatively light
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Jonathan

From what I see and hear around....Giottos right now is an excellent choice for a "budget" tripod.  They are trying harder than Manfrotto and delivering more features for less money.  A bit like why you might want to buy Tamrac rather than Lowepro.  Also check out the Calumet range for exactly the same reasons (some are VERY similar to Manfrottos)

BTW I noticed some incredulous glances at my tripod on Sunday.  It's 35 cm folded and weighs just under 1 kilo complete with head.  It was eye wateringly expensive but for urban shots it's by far the best I've ever used.  (http://www.gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/tripods/traveler?code=GT1550T) Some doubters (I'm looking at YOU Martin) asked whether it could hold a camera steady.  Here's one from Sunday.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanryan/4306677116/ - 40s with 2 kilo of camera on it.  Count 5 lights from the right and there's a blue sign.   On the high res it's a little soft but I can read it 8-)
It's Guest's round

bones615

Thanks guys, just made the order from Aspen of hereford £4 cheaper & free delivery. Nice tripod Jonathan, I could virtually have 1 for every day of the week at that price!!

Simon

Sarasocke

Thought I'd add my question here ...

I'm looking to get the Giotto MTL 9271B as mentioned by Oldboy above.
Would I be making a mistake to get the Manfrotto 496RC2 head to go with it ?

Has to hold my D700 and my largest lense is the 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Oldboy

Quote from: Sarasocke on July 10, 2010, 03:41:42 PM
Thought I'd add my question here ...

I'm looking to get the Giotto MTL 9271B as mentioned by Oldboy above.
Would I be making a mistake to get the Manfrotto 496RC2 head to go with it ?

Has to hold my D700 and my largest lense is the 70-300 4.5-5.6 VR.

No problem, as it's rated at 6kg total load. I've got one and used it with the D3 plus Bigma lens without problems. It has a friction knob, which allows you to adjust the movement of lens/camera but will hold when you stop. Great for wildlife.  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.