• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 67
  • Total: 67
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

IOTW 6th July 2015

Started by Beaux Reflets, July 06, 2015, 10:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaux Reflets

Congratulations jinky, on your photograph being selected for IOTW by last weeks winner Karen.

The image is now live on front page, or you can view the image in the gallery should you wish to make a comment etc.

More information on IOTW works can be found here   How IOTW works
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

Good choice, wonderful summery image.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

This is a lovely 8image that would look stunning on a bedroom wall. Well done.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

jinky

Just back in the UK after my Baltics cruise so this was a nice surprise. Thanks Karen / Andy  :)

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on July 07, 2015, 04:52:10 PM
Just back in the UK after my Baltics cruise so this was a nice surprise. Thanks Karen / Andy  :)

Cruising! Isn't that also called kerb-crawling?  :-* :P

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on July 07, 2015, 08:54:01 PM

Here they don't call that cruising, and in the States they don't call it kerb crawling. (As far as I'm aware.)

Hope you had a good voyage Paul; what ship did you sail in?

jinky

Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas. A lot smaller than the last one I was on but very nice. Great food and we got a free parking at Harwich, gratuities paid and free wine / beer / soft drinks package as well as a good price so some serious exercise and dieting needed now.

Oldboy

Quote from: Reinardina on July 07, 2015, 09:37:10 PM

Here they don't call that cruising, and in the States they don't call it kerb crawling. (As far as I'm aware.)

In the United States, the term "cruising" was used to predominantly denote exclusively homosexual behavior, but as in Australia and the United Kingdom it is used by both homosexuals and heterosexuals to describe their own behavior, as witnessed in the common male heterosexual derivative phrase "cruising for chicks"

A kerb crawler (or curb crawler) is a person who drives around areas known for street prostitution soliciting prostitutes for sexual activity. The act is known as "kerb crawling" because the person will typically drive very slowly along the kerbside.   ;)

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on July 07, 2015, 10:52:43 PM

In the United States, the term "cruising" was used to predominantly denote exclusively homosexual behavior, but as in Australia and the United Kingdom it is used by both homosexuals and heterosexuals to describe their own behavior, as witnessed in the common male heterosexual derivative phrase "cruising for chicks"

A kerb crawler (or curb crawler) is a person who drives around areas known for street prostitution soliciting prostitutes for sexual activity. The act is known as "kerb crawling" because the person will typically drive very slowly along the kerbside.   ;)

Thanks for the language lesson. You live and learn.

I'm that long in the tooth, that to me, (American) cruising, means teenage boys, showing off in their daddy's giant cars (the ones with wings), hoping to impress girls. This is going back to the late fifties/early sixties, before the sexual revolution, when things, on the whole, were still pretty innocent.

Homosexuals were still (mainly) out of sight, in cupboards.

jinky

Oh no! Cruising is out for me from now on then. I think I`ll just stick to dogging and cottaging ( that is taking my pet to stay in dog friendly accommodation out in the countryside). There cannot be any double meanings in that!  :legit:

DigiDiva

Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

kerbside

Cruising for me is just taking life as it comes, eg Just cruising along. :tup:

You have to be in to win but winning is not everything, it's participating that counts.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/kerbside

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on July 08, 2015, 10:37:13 AM
Oh no! Cruising is out for me from now on then. I think I`ll just stick to dogging and cottaging ( that is taking my pet to stay in dog friendly accommodation out in the countryside). There cannot be any double meanings in that!  :legit:

That might be a bit cheesy!  :o

WillyP

Cruising here in the US means as you say for Australia and UK, driving around looking for chicks, though I guess it could be used by gays looking for action, it certainly is not used exclusively to indicate homosexual behavior. I've never thought of it that way, before I was married we often cruised, or went cruising, just looking for something to do. But since we always were looking for chicks, that's what it ended up being. But it was more of a car-culture term than a sex one, even if we had chicks we would cruise around anyway.

And as teenagers, we usually had our own cars, I had my own car long before I had a license to drive!

Reinardina

Quote from: WillyP on July 09, 2015, 12:28:37 PM

Cruising here in the US means as you say for Australia and UK, driving around looking for chicks, though I guess it could be used by gays looking for action, it certainly is not used exclusively to indicate homosexual behavior. I've never thought of it that way, before I was married we often cruised, or went cruising, just looking for something to do. But since we always were looking for chicks, that's what it ended up being. But it was more of a car-culture term than a sex one, even if we had chicks we would cruise around anyway.

And as teenagers, we usually had our own cars, I had my own car long before I had a license to drive!

That's very much the impression I got, back in the golden days of beautiful cars. Mind you, I don't know it first hand, but a school friend emigrated to the States in the early sixties, and it is through her eyes, I saw this world.  Somehow I got the impression the cars were not the boys' property, but their father's. Maybe the Beach Boys are guilty here?
(Fun fun fun: Well she got her daddy's car
And she's cruisin' through the hamburger stand now)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.