• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 133
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 140
  • Total: 140
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Welding glass as a 10stop ND Filter...Problem

Started by Darren1978, September 07, 2009, 08:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jinky

I got a cheap filter holder ring from ebay and superglued mine to that. Only fits my 77mm lenses but they`re the ones I`d use anyway. Wish I had cut it down in size a little now though - looks very much DIY  ;)

Darren1978

So it seems the welding glass option is growing in popularity  ;)

I've still got mine and I too went down the super-gluing it to a filter holder, and must say it does work rather well.  I found the having to set a custom WB everytime a bit of a chore in the end (and because I didnt use the glass very often I kept forgetting how to do it  :-[) so I purchased a proper 10-stopper for the princely sum of £60 delivered  :tup:

As its a screw in filter its still a bit of a pain having to compose without the filter in place, then screw it on once you've got everything just how you want it....then find that on the final turn you nudge the camera or the barrel twists a bit and you have to repaet the process again  :doh:

I think Lee make a slide-in filter which would make the whole process a bit more easier....I wonder if they are compatible with the Cokin P Series holders????

rksmith51

Has anyone else tried Glass Tint Film as a filter, I got some free samples sent to me and will be trying them out over the week, let me know if you want to see the results. I have used one of my Cokin ND4s to stick it to and it looks promising.

Bob
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

rksmith51

I had a look to see if the Lee Big Stopper 10 stop ND grad had come down in frice a bit  >:( not only had it gone up but was as scarce as hens teeth .

I still require a big bit of glass as its for my Nikon 14-24, searching the web I found a company in the states that is willing to cut me a bit from sheet, it gets better, I told him it was as a photographic experiment and he said he would send it for free  :dance: .

This glass should fit my Cokin XPro filter holder, I'll let you all know how it pans out.
Hi, "Guest" long time no see, how are you

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.