• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 53
  • Total: 53
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Lightroom CC Print Module

Started by Hinfrance, June 11, 2015, 09:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

Mrs H asked me to print a snapshot of some recent visitors for her.

I have finally managed to work out how to get Lightroom to actually print something the right size, so far so good. I now have Lightroom CC, and this was the first time I have printed with it.

The print came out with weird washed out colours, and worse than that, blurred, from both my Epson and Canon printers.

So I fired up my legacy copy of Qimage (current version HERE). Result, sharp and with correct colours. In both programmes the 'allow printer to manage profile' box was ticked.

Upshot, I remain convinced that despite all of its indispensable good points, Lightroom's print module remains an absolute dog, to be avoided at all costs.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

hssutton

I have Lightroom 6, never used the print module until I read your post,as I would normally use CS6. Having a little time on my hands I decided to do a print from Lightroom. Came out perfect.
However has I'd never used the print module before it took me several minutes to work out what was what. Normally I when using CS6 I use that to for colour management. however with Lightroom I used the 'Manage by printer' profile. This evening I will look at the various profiles and try to work out what is what.

Harry

Hinfrance

For me Harry it's just too difficult to use - fiddly and the results have never been as good as those from Qimage - the difference really is very apparent.

I've never had the washed out colours and blurring from LR before though. Maybe it was because I rotated the image to fit? I really don't know and furthermore, frankly, I don't care.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

donoreo

Hmmmmm I recently printed out of LR CC with no issues on my Canon printer.  Same, let printer manage colours. 

Hinfrance

I've found out why.

If you scroll almost to the very bottom of the right hand panel there is a menu which says 'print job' and if you open that you will find a button which says 'draft mode printing', which is enabled by default. It must be, because I have not used this install of LR for printing before, and even on previous versions I have never opened that menu when I've done the odd print job. I now know that the let printer manage profile option is under there too - I had assumed that that was what LR was doing because I have no custom profiles installed.

I just loath the print module in LR: it's designed to be hard to use, counter intuitive and full of traps for the unwary. Basically, it's just a way to waste ink.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

hssutton

Quote from: Hinfrance on June 11, 2015, 03:47:04 PM
I've found out why.

If you scroll almost to the very bottom of the right hand panel there is a menu which says 'print job' and if you open that you will find a button which says 'draft mode printing', which is enabled by default. It must be, because I have not used this install of LR for printing before, and even on previous versions I have never opened that menu when I've done the odd print job. I now know that the let printer manage profile option is under there too - I had assumed that that was what LR was doing because I have no custom profiles installed.

I just loath the print module in LR: it's designed to be hard to use, counter intuitive and full of traps for the unwary. Basically, it's just a way to waste ink.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I do not use Lightroom for printing. However your post prompted me to try it, with very good results by using the default settings, must admit to not noticing the Draft Mode setting as on my non cloud version it's greyed out. So your misfortune taught me a little more about Lightroom.  :)
Probably need to delve a little deeper into the print job panel as I could not at the time work out how to use my custom profile created by my Spyder calibration software as it was not listed under Color Management.

Harry

Hinfrance

Maybe the draft mode is only available with certain printers? Or only in CC? (but 6 is supposed to be the same).

I'll stick with Qimge in the future, there is simply no comparison, the prints are so much better than from LR, PS, PhotoPlus et al.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Simple

Harry, as far as I know the profile can be installed in the normal Windows location ie. Windows 7, 8: \Windows\system32\spool\drivers\color   When you open Lightroom and click where it says "managed by printer" click on "other" and the whole shebang of what is available in the aforementioned location is visible and selectable.

Hinfrance

That's where my printer profiles are to be found in LR - although, of course, in my case, they are all the ones that came with the printers and other applications.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

anglefire

I print from LR 6 quite a lot, as it works very well at adding a logo or border etc - I used it at a rally recently to print a picture of the winning car that I'd taken during the day.

It can also print to file, which is very handy.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Glad to hear it works for you Mark. I suppose that if I invested a huge amount of time in trying to learn it I might even use it occasionally. Not that it would change the fact that it doesn't print as well as Qimage 😊
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

anglefire

Didn't take me long to work it out TBH.

Very handy for batch "printing" which I did a print to file job with these http://www.quinton-mc.org.uk/highslide/disis2015-mc.html

Did the logo in Photoshop and then used it in the print module to add it to all the pictures. Took about 2minutes once the logo was done.

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.