• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 64
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 27
  • Total: 27
Wish
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Sony SteadyShot

Started by michaelb104, March 10, 2010, 09:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelb104

I've got the A350 which has image stabilisation (SteadyShot) built in to the body but I've just got myself the sigma 17-70, now this has image stabilisation built into the lens. 

If I have them both switched on am I going to get extra stability or is there going to be a conflict a bit like where you are not supposed to use the SteadyShot when the camera is on a tripod. Any thoughts??

Mike.
Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

spinner

Since they appear to work on completely different prinicples I'd have to say I think every shot in completely different situations is a crap shoot. IMO. Only experiencing them together is going to answer that.
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

anglefire

My guess would be one of two things, depending on how the in-body is works.

1. If the in body IS works by comparing the image on a sensor, then both should work together.
2. If the in body IS works on gyros in the body, then they will fight. Turn one or other off.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

michaelb104

Thanks for the replies, I'll give the different options a go and see which works best.
Mike

alan1j

I also use Sony/Minolta.

Although I don't have any lenses with image stability incorporated within the lens it'self. But what I do know is the sensor shift mechanism within the Sony alpha range uses the information that is supplied to it from the lens to work out how much correction/sensor shift is needed with the in camera IS system turned on to allow the said sensor to correct the movement that may occur handheld.
So if both systems are turned on, IE your camera steady shot system and the Len's base system also, then surely ONE will fight against the other trying to achieve a sharp handheld shot.

The Sony steady shot stabilizer requires the lens focal length and uses this to determine the sensor shift to function as said above
Personally I would think this to be the best way of getting stable sharp shots as this is where the image is recorded.

Bare in mind that when using your camera on a tripod your meant to turn the steadyshot off to get sharp blur free images.
I must admit I'm always forgeting to myself. So maybe the same will be the case with the lens vibration reduction system.
Obviously as originally said None of my lenses are stabilized so I'm going by the process of why use both. A bit like two north poles on a magnet. They both do the same but react against each other.

Bet now your completely puzzled LOL.. :-\

michaelb104

Quote from: alan1j on March 11, 2010, 05:00:51 PM
I also use Sony/Minolta.

Although I don't have any lenses with image stability incorporated within the lens it'self. But what I do know is the sensor shift mechanism within the Sony alpha range uses the information that is supplied to it from the lens to work out how much correction/sensor shift is needed with the in camera IS system turned on to allow the said sensor to correct the movement that may occur handheld.
So if both systems are turned on, IE your camera steady shot system and the Len's base system also, then surely ONE will fight against the other trying to achieve a sharp handheld shot.

The Sony steady shot stabilizer requires the lens focal length and uses this to determine the sensor shift to function as said above
Personally I would think this to be the best way of getting stable sharp shots as this is where the image is recorded.

Bare in mind that when using your camera on a tripod your meant to turn the steadyshot off to get sharp blur free images.
I must admit I'm always forgeting to myself. So maybe the same will be the case with the lens vibration reduction system.
Obviously as originally said None of my lenses are stabilized so I'm going by the process of why use both. A bit like two north poles on a magnet. They both do the same but react against each other.

Bet now your completely puzzled LOL.. :-\

Not completely puzzled, slightly.... :)

You've answered with knowledge what my gut feeling was, thanks.
Mike

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.