• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 66
  • Total: 66
parkcameras
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Secrets revealed!

Started by ABERS, July 08, 2010, 07:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

It's all so easy now, just look at

http://www.photoradar.com/techniques/technique/wedding-photography-tips-10-steps-to-pro-quality-pictures

.....not that it was all that difficult in the first place. :doh:

What are the secrets that you use in your photographic life?

Jonathan

The sad thing is.....that's by far the best article ever to appear on Pradar.

Not only are Brett's pics gorgeous there are some accurate and useful tips.

I've been trading blows with them on Twitter over their "reviews".  They are adamant that turning a camera on isn't required to review it but are at a loss to explain why all the pictures in their Leica review are soft when they claim it's ultra sharp.

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread.....here are my alternative answers to the problems Brett answers:

"The bride's got out of the car and she's bathed in sunlight!" - tell the chauffeur to stop in the shade.  Really - a foot forward or back can make all the difference.

"I'm not allowed to use flash in the church and there's a strong colour cast on my pictures!"

For the first part - PRACTISE.  I used to shoot all ceremonies at f/1.4, ISO 640 because that's as high as I trust the D2.  With the D3 it's a lot easier but nothing replaces practise.
Re the colour cast - black and white baby.

"The couple have left the church too quickly, leaving me with out-of-focus shots!"

Well it's too late now.  Relax in the knowledge that the reason you missed the shot was that EVERYBODY was hanging into the aisle with their phones.  Somebody must have got it.  Plus, recessional - meh.

"I can't decide which lens to use for the reception!"

Buy a Nikon 24-70 - it's unlikely you will ever feel like using another lens.

"There are shadows across the faces in my group shots!"

Put them back to the sun and use a single source flash near camera axis.  It's about expressions not art.  Plus use 2 flashes and you can get the dreaded "cleavage lighting".

"When I'm shooting reception details, the spotlights that shine down can create a nasty shadow – what can I do?"

Move stuff.  Really.

"I find getting the couple and fireworks looking good in one exposure can be challenging."

Um yeah, it's tough.  Practise.  In November make sure you can nail fireworks every single time.  Then work up to the tough stuff.  More than half the B&G + fireworks shots I've seen on UK websites are fake....
It's Guest's round

skellum

If its a Church Wedding then I will go the the rehearsal, this way I can meet the Vicar / Priest and find out what can or can't be done on the day, see where the Bride will be arriving then by watching the rehearsal I can plan where to be before, during and after the ceremony to get the best shots.

Jonathan

Quote from: Dave on July 08, 2010, 10:17:16 AM
If its a Church Wedding then I will go the the rehearsal, this way I can meet the Vicar / Priest and find out what can or can't be done on the day

Interesting.  That's the exact reason I don't go to the rehearsal ;)  That and it's just more work for the same money.
It's Guest's round

skellum

Well it works for me and it seems to go down well with everyone else involved up to now, they seem to like the fact that I was planning my part in the proceedings with them.  It only takes about half an hour for a rehearsal so I don't mind standing that though it would be different if the wedding was some distance away. I have done Weddings in the Lake District & Liverpool without any planning and it can be quite a challenge but I did research both venues on the internet beforehand to give me some idea as to what to expect.

picsfor

Dave, how could you?

A trip to the Lakes just up the road could also double up as a stock shot trip.
Liverpool is just down the road and provides plenty of stock shot opportunities. It's a constantly evolving city.

Clearly an area that needs to be covered. I need to move back oop north. Where's my Southport map again!

Jonathan

Quote from: Dave on July 08, 2010, 10:57:16 AM
Well it works for me and it seems to go down well with everyone else involved up to now, they seem to like the fact that I was planning my part in the proceedings with them.

Yeah definitely.  I usually try to visit venues with B&G before wedding.  But not usually churches.  Google Street View will usually tell me enough about them.
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.