• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 123
  • Total: 123
wex
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Paint shop pro x4 Ultimate

Started by Karen, September 03, 2012, 12:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

I'm waiting on this version coming by post so I will post when Ive had a play with it to see what the changes or improvements are. Ive used PSP for years through the different versions so will be interested to see what this one brings to the table.

SimonW

Like you, I've used PSP since it was a free thing, and now use X4 in preference to Adobe Elements much of the time. X4 still has one or two very odd bugs but they don't seem to affect the results. For example, if I use print layout (I often find the PSP print options much handier that Elements) when I go back to edit mode the first photo I ever edited in X4 opens up in addition to those I'm working on. It's easy enough to close it of course, but try as I might I can't stop it happening again every time.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

I used to use PSP until it started naming all pictures as PSP files!  :P

Hinfrance

I could never get it to install in English on top of my French OS.

Elements is so nearly there as a photographers' tool - there is so much in CS that I would never use, but Elements is missing some, well, key elements, like 16 bit editing and a proper curves adjustment layer.

So mostly I use Serif's Photoplus - it can be flaky at times, but it is much more like the real deal.

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Karen

I started with PSP and when I started my wedding photography business I thought I'd try photoshop basically cause it was "the" thing to use but I quickly went back to PSP as I found it did all the things I wanted to do only quicker and easier than photoshop.

Karen

Oh Ive died and gone to heaven. This version is vastly superior to the X2 Ive been using. They have split the workspace into "manage" "adjust" and "edit" which is lovely because its was always too cramped before. Designing your own workspace and toolbars is easy and therefore makes it intuative to use. The additional CD with Nik Color Effex Pro on it is a welcome addition and good value. When using these it now opens up the photo in a central window with much more control over the level of effect than the old ones. The Raw editor seems good as well although I havent had much chance to play with that yet. Really good value I would have to say I'm well pleased with it.

Hinfrance

Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Hinfrance

I popped over to the Corel site to see what was what (I am a big fan of Aftershot Pro and run that as often as I run Lightroom, the 'Perfectly Clear' button often saves loads of work - just run it on a layer and adjust the transparency for almost flawless results, and there are excellent low cost or free film emulation and other plugins available. It is a super fast and very competent RAW editor).

Anyway, PSP Pro 4 Ultimate is being banged out for only $39.95 plus VAT, which seemed to me like a bit of a bargain and certainly the cheapest way to get my hands on Nik Colour Effex, even if it is an obsolescent version, so I bought it.

This time it installed in English on my French language system (you can choose multiple interface languages, how cool is that?) and a few minutes fiddling with it have taught me a few things.

1. The RAW editor is not spectacularly good and it seems will only output 8 bit images. Given that it handled a test RAW image very well in the 'adjust' module this may be a moot point. But X4 is cheap because X5 is coming out and will probably borrow some of the RAW processing technology from Aftershot (Bibble).
2. Everything else seems excellent. Built in just about everything and it's quite quick too.

So basically, if on a budget you can get PSP Pro Ultimate and Aftershot Pro for less than $100 plus VAT. Now that has to be very good news :tup:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Karen

Thanks for posting this because I was looking at aftershot and wondering if it was worthwhile bagging a copy. I think I might just go get one.  :'( more money

Hinfrance

You can always get the trial Karen, and see if you like it.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Karen

Downloaded trial and it looks good. I'll play around with it for a few days

Karen

Have ordered a copy I really like it

Hinfrance

Glad to hear it! I really like it too. While it might tempt you to spend yet more hard earned pennies, you might find it worth investing 20 bucks in the full 'nostalgia' plugin. Just sayin' :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Karen

haha go away you're costing me too much. I just bought PSP a new camera and a new lens and now ASP all in the one week I'll get killed if I chance anymore lol  :legit:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.