• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 178
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 24
  • Total: 24
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

CHAT -CREEPY CRAWLIES - Weekly Comp 17-23 June 2013

Started by Hinfrance, June 17, 2013, 07:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

CHAT thread -CREEPY CRAWLIES - Weekly competition 17-23 June 2013.

CHAT only here - ENTRIES thread is HERE:

Inspired in part by Matthew's rodent hunt, but also by the numbers of insects, spiders and sundry other creepy crawlies about the place (although what they might be if they are not insects or arachnids I'm not sure). Everyone can do Macro shots, so find something with buggy eyes and a positively bad attitude and photograph it mercilessly before it gets you.

Absolutely no restrictions on Post Processing

Pictures to be taken between 00.01am Monday 17th June 2013 to 23:59 Sunday 23rd June  2013.
Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59pm Monday 24th June 2013.
Poll will be up Tuesday 25th June 2013.
Winner to be announced Saturday 29th June 2013.

The Rules for the weekly competition are...

By entering you agree to take responsibility to
Post a topic on the Sunday following your declared win
Create an entries thread
Create a chat thread
Create a poll for that weeks comp and declare the winner on the Saturday
(if for any reason there is a problem and no subject is posted by the winner by Monday night admin will advise second place winner to post the topic asap, do the poll etc.)

In case of a tie, the first entry posted wins.

Photos to be taken during the specified dates, ie Monday xx to Sunday xx

Pictures to be posted in the entries thread no later than 23.59 Monday night.

Setting the Poll: http://cameracraniums.com/forum/index.php?topic=382.msg37211;topicseen#new
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

Won't be entering, as I'm off to Holland for a fortnight on Thursday.

I'm also careful with the remaining batterylife in my camera, as my charger gave up the ghost. Fingers crossed the new one I ordered, will arrive before i set off!

Good luck to everyone.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Hinfrance

Well, here in 'sunny' south west France it has done nothing but rain all week, with more rain forecast for the foreseeable future. I have managed to get a picture of a slug so far, not very inspiring; I was hoping for at least a wasp, but they're all tucked up in their nests with the doors shut.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

A few weeks ago my garden became completely over-run by slugs, and I started killing them. All shapes and sizes from tiny babies to frighteningly enormous - they just kept coming. But the torrent did slowly reduce to a trickle, and none at all since this topic was posted. In fact, no creepie crawlies of any kind - at least none that I could snap as none of my lenses can do anything near macro.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

Simon, sorry if the topic doesn't suit. I was working on the assumption that everyone would either have a lens suitable for macro or a compact or bridge camera, all of which are really good at close ups.

The kit 18-55 can get pretty close in: a few years ago it was actually given a decent rating as a macro lens by the French mag Chasseur d'Images. OK, it'll be rubbish for ants, but should be OK for butterflies and giant wasps :)

Glad to hear you've got rid of the slugs.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Delamanda

Oh this was well out of my comfort zone and not having a macro, I wasn't sure if I'd get a shot this week, but Mr Bumble obliged by staying still long enough for a snap!

SimonW

H - nothing wrong with the topic, I enjoy a challenge. Your lens advice was helpful too. And so is the weather, now wet again.
They're back!

Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

jinky

Damsel resting, not in distress

Out of my comfort zone too Del. Took my macro but they were always at the other side of the pond and had to use my 70-200 most of time. Windy too so lots of failures.

Hinfrance

Good shot Jinky - I can never get those things. Mind you, haven't got a pond :)

Simon, sorry to see that the slugs are back, but glad you managed to get a shot of one.  :tup:

I'm just looking at the things I managed to get. It finally stopped raining this morning and I found a few bugs. I decided to wait by a patch of clover as I has espied a bee working her way through some adjacent flowers. She flew within a couple of feet, not close enough to get a shot, then decided that the patch of clover I had been sitting patiently by, with, mark you, a slightly damp posterior what with all the preceding rain, was not for her, and she veered off to another patch a couple of yards away. That's just evil.  >:(
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

jinky

Thanks H. Yes they move so fast and never settle at the right range  ???

Nice one of yours. I`m still hoping the rain will stop tomorrow and I can find something in the garden with no breeze. Trouble is we planted up and put pellets down and all we seem to have are around 40+ snail shells lying in piles. I feel so cruel but our marigolds are hole. If I see a Red Lily Bug I`ll get a shot before I finish it off  ;)

michaelb104

I thought this was going to be easy to find a subject but what the rain hadn't washed away the wind blew away, I just do not know where all the bugs went.  I did spend an hour chasing Bees around but the wind was so strong they just couldn't keep still (even on the flowers)  :(

I spotted this little fellow whilst waiting for a Bee to arrive at the flower (which of course one never did), so I am in with an Ant.

Mike

My Flickr   .   My Fluidr

jinky

Had hoped for another shot but just too much wind and rain. In a discussion started about the site I suggested I`d be willing to spark some discussion by critiquing this weeks comp entries in my own style nd invite others to do the same if they wished. Anyone for / against. After the results are known obviously.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: jinky on June 24, 2013, 12:04:36 PM
Had hoped for another shot but just too much wind and rain. In a discussion started about the site I suggested I`d be willing to spark some discussion by critiquing this weeks comp entries in my own style nd invite others to do the same if they wished. Anyone for / against. After the results are known obviously.

Quite for it Paul  :tup:

Better get my shot up - hard task this week on account of the winds and rain.

So here's Bob

:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

jinky

Just had fun playing with entry. I`d remembered my initially rejected compact macro shots from earlier in the week when it was brighter and slightly less windy. Out of 35 shots about 4 worked OK with the camera focusing on the flower heads rather than the bees mostly. After editing / sharpening I ended up with these and pulled my damsel fly to replace it, thus losing my higher listing. In the end I decided I liked the simplicity of the damsel fly background anyway and went back to it  :uglystupid2:

So rejected these two.

Michael - disappointed you didn`t manage to get Dec at the same time  ;)

Hinfrance

I think you made the right choice sticking the damsel not in this dress. :)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.