• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 124
  • Total: 124
  • Google
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

old photo

Started by alan1572, April 10, 2010, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan1572

my aunt has found a picture of her dad, it's quite an old one and she want to get some slighty larger ones made and give give a copy to my dad for his birthday, is there any good software and can anyone help to make it better?
She wants the bookie taken out so it's just my grandad, it's quite poor quality and it really showed when i tried to crop and enlarge.

Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Simple

Alan,
I will be perfectly willing to give it go, but you will have to send me the scanned photo by e-mail.
Also, start with scanning the photo with at least 600 DPI, preferably higher. (I know it creates a big file, but the more pixels to work with the better the result.)
And make the scan output a tiff file if you can.

Colin

Alan, I'll take the challenge too if you want someone else to have a go for you. Email as above the more dpi the better.

Just Dave

Hi Alan

As said a higher res file would be good to work with, I had a quick go with the one you have provided below

Dave

Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

alan1572

thanks for the replies, if i can have your emails i will send it to you all,
many thanks

Just Dave

Hi Alan

I had a go with the file you sent me, really need a bigger file, the one you sent was 992 x 688, the problem is that it is still low quality, eg 42kb, and only 200dpi and the jpg artifacting is evident  could do with a saved as max quality, and more than 400 dpi,and saved a s a TIFF File, anyway I had another go, not the best as said needs a better file to work with, colour and black and white versions, if you can send mw a bigger file I'll have another go

Dave

Visit Our Website Clicky Linky My Flickr Clicky Linky Scrap Cars Buyer scrapcarsbuyer.co.uk

alan1572

dave, thanks for your time..nice job, i will get the photo back and scan it, i'm not sure of the res on my all in one but i'll check, cheers
alan

alan1572

just checked and it should be ok

Scan
Copy Speed Black TextA4    Up to 40 ppm
Copy Speed Colour Text A4    Up to 40 ppm
Scan Speed Black A4    A4 1200 dpi 10 msec/line
Scan Speed Colour A4    A4 1200 dpi 28 msec/line
Scanning Technology    A4 flatbed colour image scanner
Sensor Type    CIS with CCD sensor
Scan Resolution    1200 x 2400 dpi

Just Dave

Hi Alan

Pleased you like my efforts, dont know if you noticed I squished it up a little on the left hand side, brought the poster and board a little near the man, HE He,  :)

When saving your file save it as a tiff and at max quality please, if you cant save as Tiff save as jpg Max quality the larger the file size the better   :)

alan1572

when i have scanned the photo to a usb stick the file size is only 49mb, is there something i can do? it's an epson rx685

Simple

49 mb sounds about right Alan. It is a lot more than the 42 kb you sent before.

anglefire

If you want to get rid of the man behind the counter, it will be interesting to see how good CS5 is with content aware fill!
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.