• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 55
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 32
  • Total: 32
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Photo stacking software

Started by Jediboy, September 04, 2017, 02:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jediboy

Hi,
I,m looking at trying a new technique - focus stacking.
Had a quick google and am fairly happy about the technique, but was wondering if anyone here has tried this and if so what software you used. I use PSE14 and looks tricky using this software. Free software is available, and was asking to see if anyone here has tried any of them?

Thanks

Chris
May the Force be with you.

Chris

Hinfrance

I have Serif's Affinity Photo, the programme I use instead of Photoshop, although I haven't tried focus stacking it does do this. I'm a bit lazy with regard to focus stacking, I just set the mode dial on my Olympus TG-4 and let it do all the work for me :) Seriously, I haven't done any with my DSLR because I have a Tamron 90mm macro lens: wonderful though it is the front objective moves when focusing, making it impossible to use a series of images from it to focus stack as the distance between the objective and subject has to change to change the focal point - making each image in the stack slightly different sizes and having slightly different horizontal and vertical distortions.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jediboy

Thanks H. Will have a look. Going to give this a try tomorrow. Kids back at school so should have a bit of spare time.

Chris

hssutton

I've just done a comparison between Affinity, Photoshop CS6 and Combine ZM. My rating is CS6 1st Combine ZM 2nd with Affinity 3rd. For many years I used ZM, but when Win10 arrived ZM was not compatable. However it's now been updated and now works OK with Win 10. Whereas focus stacking is quite straight forward in Affinity and CS6, it's a little more complicated with ZM, so quite a bit of leaning to do. With a little more knowledge I think it will beat PS hands down, plus it's freeware. You can get the software here http://combinezm.en.lo4d.com/

Harry

Jediboy

Thanks for the replies gents. I've not yet had the opportunity to look into this any further. Busy weekend so will have a look early part of next week.
Appreciate the help.

Chris

Jediboy

Looks like combineZM is windows and I'm on Mac. Thanks though, appreciate the help.

Chris

davidsanchez

what software do you use for Mac? Because everything that I found is for windows
Hi! Have somebody tried giro d italia cycling odds? Thanks in advance

Hinfrance

Photoshop and Affinity are both Windows/Mac. There also seem to be a number of astral image stacking apps available for Mac, although I haven't looked at them. Perhaps one of those would do what you are looking for?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.