• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 86
  • Total: 86
photobox
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Follow The Leader?

Started by ABERS, October 27, 2013, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABERS

I belong to a Flickr group that posts a wide range of images on its section. Every so often a type of photographic virus invades some of its members turning the creative part of their brain to copy what's been posted. The latest virus to attack is 'surreptitious passenger recordus'. Others have been Milky Water syndrome and the deadly HDR virus.

It was first noticed on the District Line of the London Underground and when small digital cameras with articulated viewing screens became available. The ones that allow you to cradle it in your lap and whilst casually looking the other way after framing your subject press the shutter whilst pretending to clear your throat.

The results are usually three or more people sitting on a seat side by side, one looking bored with one usually asleep another reading a newspaper and another busily engaged with a phone or tablet. All well and good I suppose, but it's when three or more people post similar images following the first, you know that the virus has spread and creativity has been compromised.

The fact that the photographer can be seen clearly reflected in the carriage window opposite may be cause for concern. This could be a desire to be seen as a photographer or just that the urge to copy others has blinded him/her to what actually is in the viewfinder.

Don't worry if you think you are infected, it's a common complaint that is endemic in the photographic world and affects all of us that picks up a camera, you just have to learn to live with it!

Keep calm and carry on!

spikeyjen

I'm not sure how to respond to this, but I think that it might actually show a lot of respect for the first person to come up with the idea. and then everyone, like lemmings, wants to achieve the same thing because they like it so much.
The milky water thing is interesting, as several people have commented in mags about how much they hate it, but I know everyone wants to achieve it.

It is really hard to be an original!!! 8)

Graham

So.  ...What's going to be the next big thing?  :-\
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Hinfrance

I'll have to check on Facebook . . . sorry Pinterest . . sorry Instagram . . oh, I don't know . .
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Reinardina

I'm sure I caught the virus on occasion, but I'm not really sure when, or how serious it was.
Yes I do shoot people in the street. Sometimes just randomly, sometimes because they're different.

I have never suffered from 'milky water,' or 'jumping droplet' syndrome as I don't like them, and for the rest ... I do not really know.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Paul Montgomery

I think I might have had a dose of that when I started selective colouring (or cloud popping or whatever you want to call it)
I think I'm over it now...

donoreo

I think a lot of that comes from people wanting to try the technique.  I know I did with the smooth water.  I wanted to go do it so that I knew how to do it when time came for a photo that really called for it.  I look at it as training when I do this.  I am just practising for a time when I will have a really unique photo opportunity that uses that technique.  You mentioned HDR, that is one that takes a lot of practice.   Here is an example.  This is an HDR photo that got me an Honourable Mention in our most recent camera club competition. 

Oldboy

Quote from: donoreo on October 27, 2013, 01:33:20 PM
This is an HDR photo that got me an Honourable Mention in our most recent camera club competition. 

So this is where you keep your money!  :P :legit:

donoreo

Quote from: Oldboy on October 27, 2013, 09:11:47 PM
This is an HDR photo that got me an Honourable Mention in our most recent camera club competition. 

What, that is not secure?  :uglystupid2:

Reinardina

Quote from: donoreo on October 27, 2013, 10:54:43 PM
Quote from: Oldboy on October 27, 2013, 09:11:47 PM

What, that is not secure?  :uglystupid2:

Looks sturdy enough, but it's not locked.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.