• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 47
  • Total: 47
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Mouse problems

Started by Delamanda, April 19, 2012, 09:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delamanda

I seem to be having a week of mouse problems - first of all the real thing and now with Apple.  I have finally made the leap from Windows to Mac and have enthusiastically spent the last week configuring it, loading it with software etc. but I've encountered two problems.  The first is the magic mouse - is there a special way of using it?  I feel like I'm using a ouija board since I seem to be moving my hand all over the desk to get the mouse where I want it.  I can also feel the first signs of RSI returning, because of the way I'm using it.

The second problem is that I can't copy files onto my external hard-drive.  I understand that I need to have a different format, but if I re-format my hard-drives, I'll lose everything that's on there and won't be able to use them with a windows pc - or is that not the case.

All help and ideas gratefully received!  Thanks.

Jonathan

1. Mouse.

I have a Magic Mouse and hate it.  the Magic Trackpad is actually pretty nice.  Alternatively, just get yourself a nice mouse.  Really, anything works with a Mac.  I have a Logitech Darkfield which is very cool.

2. Hard drive.

Read this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3080744?start=0&tstart=0

Path of least resistance is to copy data off drive, reformat as HFS and copy it back.  MacFuse MAY be able to help if you don't want to do that but it's no longer supported.

AFAIK Windows can't read HFS drives :(.  In theory you could format FAT and use on both but FAT is old and dodgy for big drives.

If you want to read an HFS volume on Widows then attach it to your Mac and share across the network.
It's Guest's round

donoreo

1. Mouse.  I use a Microsoft mouse on my mac.  I have never liked Apple mice. 

2. Macs can only read Windows NTFS formatted drives.  You can try one of the free drivers to try it.   

You should be able to copy off the drive to save your data. 

You can format it as FAT32 which can be read and written two by both (and Linux if you care!).  You did not say the size of your drive, but the issue with FAT is that the larger the drive the more wasted space there will be.   There is no issue of data integrity, so the term "dodgy" is inaccurate.   Without getting into too technical details, if you have a 500GB drive, you may only get to use 450GB (not actual numbers in either example) and on a 1TB drive you may only get 800GB.   There is an advantage formatting FAT on a Mac, it will let you format large drives.  On a Windows machine it will not let you format a large drive (I cannot remember the limit).  I have done this and switched the drive between my Mac, Linux and Windows machines with no problem. 

Colin

You can format large drives as FAT32 on a PC but not with the native Windows formatting programme. There are many free ones available that will do it. Just Google 'large FAT32 format for windows'. ;)

Jonathan

Quote from: donoreo on April 20, 2012, 03:23:14 PM
There is no issue of data integrity, so the term "dodgy" is inaccurate.

There's a very good summary here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1207791

Basically Apple would like you to use HFS.  And path of least resistance is to do what they want unless you have a good reason not to.

If your drive dies, you will have far more tools at your disposal if you're on HFS.  For example, a new boot drive turned out to be faulty.  My SMART monitor  flagged it up before any data was lost and I used Super Duper to build an exact clone before RMAing the faulty drive.  There are tools that would let you do this with a FAT drive if you look for them but HFS is preferred choice of all major Mac disk tools.

FAT is generally last choice now.
It's Guest's round

Delamanda

Thanks all for your replies.  I'm going to have to get my head around them as this is all completely new to me.  I have a 4TB hard drive with everything backed up on it and I just thought I could plug it into the mac and keep on adding to it.  I hadn't realised this whole thing would be so complicated.  I shall now go and investigate the links that you've put up!  Thanks.

donoreo

4TB? If that is anywhere near being full you are going to need another to copy the data to. 

Delamanda

Thankfully it's only about half full and I do have everything backed up on smaller drives as well (and one set off site - I'm a bit belt and braces about backup).  So the plan is to delete the 4TB drive, reformat it using Mac software, copy 500 GB of stuff from back up B to Mac hard drive and then export it to reformatted 4TB external.  I feel as though I'm going to be glued to my desk for the foreseeable future. 

donoreo

Do you not just love watching files copy? :)

Jonathan

I hope it's not a Buffalo.

If so then post back here before you do anything (Buffalo don't like Lion - or testing their products properly)
It's Guest's round

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.