• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 132
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 63
  • Total: 63
aliexpress
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Nifty fifty

Started by chris@seary.com, November 16, 2009, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris@seary.com

Everyone's favourite lens - the nifty fifty 50mm!

Portraits, street photography, low light, narrow depth of field, it's just absolutely digitalcameratastic!

We had this thread on the DCM mag site, and so I thought I'd start it up again here, as we had a request!

Here's my starter for 10 - sunset over garage in Swindon.

Post your favourite 50mm images here!

Oldboy

I quite pleased with this one taken at 16:30 in Birmingham yesterday. No flash, ISO 1000, 1/60s.  :tup:

Click for bigger size.

magicrhodes

Chris that is a great pic, I love the colours in it...

Colin

Here's a couple I took with mine at an amateur panto earlier this year. Both taken with my 20D at iso 400 with only the available light in the theatre.

greypoint

one from last year - Nikon 50mm f1.8D plus Fuji S5Pro

chris@seary.com

greypoint

Couple from the archives
Canon 350D 50mm shot

Nikon D70 50mm shot

picsfor

Taken this week at the Trafalger Trunk Exhibition. Yer can't beat a 50mm

bones615

I have a Canon 50mm 1.8 but hardly ever use it, only time I found it really useful was at London aquarium where no flash was allowed, this thread renewed my interest so this morning it was dug out of the cupboard & pointed at the dog. Maybe I am too lazy to use my feet to zoom or I have not realised its potential yet but I will keep it handy and play with it again.

Wide open

f2.8

jimthetrain

Bump this thread. :tup:

Went to my brother-in-laws 60th B'day last night so I thought what a great way to test the low light capabilities of the 7D and the 50mm 1.8.
He's the drummer and his son-in-law is the bassist. Overall the lens wasn't too bad and the iso never went over 1600. Shooting manually was challenging because of the lights dimming and brightening all the time so this led to quite a few blown faces. Also 50mm on a 1.6 crop in a small venue is slightly too big. 35 mm would be ideal.
Hmmm. £1120, Just have to stand further back for now. ::)
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

jimthetrain

A couple more.

BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

anglefire

Quote from: chris@seary.com on November 16, 2009, 11:36:06 PM
Everyone's favourite lens - the nifty fifty 50mm!

Not mine. I have one on loan from a friend, but its only used when I really have to. Much prefer the 85mm f1.8.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

Well I adore my 50mm. Allegedly the 3rd best prime lens ever made behind the Contax Planar and Canon 200 f1.8 (I can't begin to think how much that might cost  :o) The colours and rendering of details which somehow are soft and sharp at the same time are soma to me.

Here's a snap of a rose I took about a week ago. It is a jpg straight out of the camera. I added the © and resized it.

Image replaced.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

anglefire

Quote from: Tringle WP on February 07, 2010, 06:12:46 PM
Well I adore my 50mm. Allegedly the 3rd best prime lens ever made behind the Contax Planar and Canon 200 f1.8 (I can't begin to think how much that might cost  :o)

Not sure how it got to be 3rd best - on what basis? :)

I can think of loads better, in terms of sharpness and bokeh.how about 135 f/2, 200 f/2, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2, 300 f/2.8, etc etc.

In terms of cost, then I accep[t, there are non better. :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

"There's a reason why this received the 3rd highest MTF score from respected lens review site photodo, sitting right behind a Contax Planar and a Canon 200 1.8."

That's as far as I bothered to look (after I'd bought it) , because frankly I don't care. It's  superb lens.

I knew that statement would wind you Cankon boys up.  ;)

I think I'll post a larger image - the resizing has completely knackered it.

LATER. Any resize I apply to this is destroying it. I can't get the image down to a size for this site with the detail preserved, so when I've done the school run I'll post it to flickr and do a link.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.