• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 249
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 131
  • Total: 131
millets
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

What made you feel good today

Started by greypoint, August 13, 2009, 10:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan

I got home safely after a "fairly tough" 28 hours.

Here's what happened:

Friday 2:30, friend who is a professional wedding photographer rang me in tears.  I won't go into details but due to a family emergency she had to be a long way away very soon.  Could I cover a wedding on Saturday?  Sure.

Spent Friday afternoon prepping kit, reassuring bride (who of course had no idea who I was - she just knew the photographer she had chosen was cancelling) and talking to other photographer's second shooter.  Plan was I would be primary and 2nd would do the other stuff including some special requests from the bride.  No sweat.

Saturday 8:30 set off with camera kit, extra lights and enough stuff so I could sleep in the car if I had to.  Plus food and a rug for the wheels just in case.

9:30 arrive at bride's house 30 mins early.

9:45 seconds shooter bails out on me............

....lots of pics....

11:30 arrive at church (wedding at noon).  Snowing hard.  Put car in pub car park and curse not bringing a shovel.

11:50 Bride arrives in rear wheel drive, automatic Daimler with no traction control.  Chaffeur looks visibly worried.  Snowing very hard now.

12:00 wedding doesn't start.  Only 1/4 of guests have made it - others are on way or stranded.

12:00 - 1:00 - the best church EVER.  Vicar and choir make coffee for us, steal milk from neighbours and sing carols.

1:00 wedding.  Most guests have made it - some are still in Surrey.

1:30 pics in church (vicar VERY accommodating "it's just a building - do what you need to")

2:00 sweep couple of inches of snow off car with broom borrowed from chorister and set off for reception.  Conditions very very hazardous.  Local choir who heard where we were going said there was no chance of getting there.  I make it 15 miles in 45 minutes.  Quite a bit of it sideways.  Guests who had taken gritted roads (gee, thanks Mrs Satnav Woman) took, err, 90 mins... :)

3:30 onwards - reception etc.  Drinking, carousing, pics in snow.

8:00 I realise I can't make it home.  Reports from friends on Twitter say "don't even think about it - many people stuck in Canterbury for hours".  Start negotiating a rate with hotel :D

9:00 start drinking with guests.... :)

Sunday...

7:30 up bright and early

8:00 breakfast, check weather, ring people to get up to date

10:00 leave for home

12:00 Arrive home - 2 hours to drive 40 miles in conditions that really aren't great (yes, my traction control really does work - and the antilocks)

So yeah, I'm pretty happy just to be home safely with no dramas.  Oh and I'm pretty pleased with the pictures too ;)
It's Guest's round

Graham

Sounds like your friend, the Bride & Groom and everyone involved are going to be grateful to you!
                                    Graham.  :tup: :beer:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

irv_b

Above and beyond the call of duty Jonathan! Hope you enjoyed yourself nonetheless and you got to raise your rep even more :tup:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

picsfor

Glad you got home safely Jonathan.

I've no doubt you've done your cred no end of good.
As to the chaos described - i think that quietly you enjoy a good challenge   ;)

Eileen

Glad all turned out well in the end Jonathan. I'm sure the B&G are really appreciative of all you've done. Very professional (in the best sense of the word).

Jonathan

Thanks everyone :)

>> Above and beyond the call of duty Jonathan!

TBH not really.  I sell my clients certainty.  When I agree to a job it will get done.

>> i think that quietly you enjoy a good challenge

Of course ;)  Actually I could have done with a little less - both CLS and radio trigger mysteriously stopped working.  First dance pics were brought to you with the help of duct tape.

Now there are pictures.....

http://peoplebyryan.com/weddings/suzanne-and-peter-a-wedding-in-the-snow
It's Guest's round

anglefire

Excellent set of pictures - and story.

But not much snow -only looks about 2" - got about 8" here. Time you got a decent car - proper 4x4 - wouldn;t have got you home any easier, but would have got you there easier :)
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Oldboy

As has been said, you are a true professional JR.  :tup:

Cracking series of shots, which are even better considering you didn't have time to checkout the venues beforehand also, with the conditions forcing you to adjust on the hoof. I can understand why you are proud of them and fully justified in doing so.  :tup: :2funny:

SimonW

Jonathan, those wedding pix are perfect. I'm sure the B and G must be thrilled. Lovely to see your work. I can appreciate the pressure on a wedding photographer under noraml circumstances, never mind all theextra hassle.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

anglefire

But its exactly that, that makes a decent Pro. Adaption and making it work. And so no one else knows that it's been cobbled together at the last minute - or a second ago. Because when they look back in 10years at their pictures, they will have, to a degree, forgotten the issues, and just have a set of superb pictures to look back on.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Alfonso_Frisk

Quote from: Jonathan on December 19, 2010, 08:05:41 PM
Thanks everyone :)

>> Above and beyond the call of duty Jonathan!

TBH not really.  I sell my clients certainty.  When I agree to a job it will get done.

>> i think that quietly you enjoy a good challenge

Of course ;)  Actually I could have done with a little less - both CLS and radio trigger mysteriously stopped working.  First dance pics were brought to you with the help of duct tape.

Now there are pictures.....

http://peoplebyryan.com/weddings/suzanne-and-peter-a-wedding-in-the-snow
I always follow your links and enjoy looking at at your work, and this series IMHO is your best to date.
You should be proud of yourself for producing this quality of work given the time scales etc.
RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

Jonathan

Thanks very much.  IMO not my best work of the year but fairly close ;)  The children in the church is my favourite.

>> But not much snow -only looks about 2" - got about 8" here. Time you got a decent car - proper 4x4 - wouldn;t have got you home any easier

Yeah it was just a couple of inches in Staplehurst - 6 - 8 in Canterbury.  But as you know it's not the depth that matters.  Front spoiler will clear about 6 inches of snow but half an inch of packed snow under the wheels is enough to make it exciting.  Almost all I know about driving on slippery stuff involves using the clutch so driving a new car with auto transmission was interesting.  Paddle shift rules though - you can change gear while sliding and keep both hands on the wheel :D

I know it's not a proper 4X4 - but there's a hilariously "parked" Vitara in Canterbury.  I reckon they are waiting for dark to claim it so people don't laugh at them for getting stuck on a flat straight bypass.....
It's Guest's round

picsfor

krennon

Absolutely cracking set of shots and a great story JR, the B&G must be very happy with those shots especially as they hadn't even met you prior to your arrival..as already said the consumate professional as ever.  :tup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithfransella/

"Everything in moderation including moderation" Oscar Wilde

Graham

WMMFGT?

Just got home to an email from the local BBC radio folk music presenter.
                 They've offerd me a two night (paid) gig, photographing the Shefield Folk Chorale singing and performing a 3 act Mystery play at the Derby Cathedral.
                 Two nights, two performances, two chances to get it right!
                                 Graham.  :)

Oh. And it features the world famous (In folky circles) Graham & Eileen Pratt.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.