• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 269
  • Total: 269
  • Google
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

D700 and Lenses.

Started by Trickee, December 04, 2010, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trickee

hi all,
I am about to jump from my NIKON D80 up to full frame in the shape of a NIKON D700 and the 24-70  F2.8 AF-S G ED as this seems to be a good walk about lens.

1. Is 24mm wide enough for landscapes on a full frame camera?

2. If you were going to use this set up for weddings (not jumping into weddings by the way but want range of quality optics that could deliver in many situations) what second lens would you favour 85mm 1.4 AFD for portraits or another zoom variant up to 200mm or 300mm (back up camera would be another D700)

3. I have an old NIKON 70-300 4-6.6 G lens how will this perform on the D700? (zoom is broken on this have to pull and push it when zooming but gives fairly good pictures on the D80.)

budget for second lens is £900.

Regards

Craig

Oldboy

The 24-70mm is fine for landscapes on the D700. I use mine on the D3 if I don't bring my 14-24mm. Suggest you look at the Nikon 70-300mm VR, as it works a treat with the D700. Warehouse Express have it for £405 and you could combine it with the 85mm F1.8 for £303.  ;D

Graham

As Oldboy says really.
                              The D700 (Which your going to love by the way) will really show up any weakneses with a less than top notch lens.
                              In the old days of film, 24mm on a 35mm camera, which is what a full frame DSLR basicly is, would be about as wide as you could go without first selling a kidney. Allso any wider and anthing slightly in the distance becomes very much in the distance.
                                                 Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

jinky

You`ll love the D700. I`m still dreaming of going up to the Nikon 24-70 but getting good results with my 28-75. I got the Nikon 70-300 VR as a travel lens and it is good and sharp but I would not use it so much at weddings.  If you can live with the weight I`d go for the 70-200 2.8 but as the Nikon version is outside your price range how about the Sigma version. It is without doubt my sharpest lens on the D700 except for my 50mm 1.8. I have an 85 1.8 I bought 2nd hand which I rarely use in preference to my Siggy as it is not quite so sharp.Great lens too though but if attending weddings will you want a zoom or prime?

picsfor

the 24-70 is an excellent all round lens, slightly better than the 24-105/120 which only goes to f4.
the 70-200 f2.8 VR would be the best next option, but as said, out of your budget unless you consider used. I think Eileen's was used but you wouldn't know it to look at it!

I may be a Canon man, but i spend enough time with people who use that combination.

As for full frame, well that i can talk about - simple rule of thumb - what ever the lens size says, that's what it means. "True 35mm" equivalent.
For weddings, i'd be more inclined to use the zoom as opposed to telephoto/ prime route. 24-70 on one body, 70-200 on the second body!

Oldboy

Just point out that the older Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR still costs over a £1,000 secondhand, and can cause darkish corners on a full frame at F2.8, at F4 or greater no problem.. The newer version doesn't have this problem, but you won't find secondhand.  ;D

Trickee

Thank you for your replies. Having done some research i think the SIGMA will do the job and will sit on my D80 when not in use. Just got to strike a deal to get the best prices for the whole package before the V.A.T goes up. MIFSUDS seem to have the best price for the D700 body and the 24-70 lens but prices on the net change daily.
Has anyone had dealings with LONDON CAMERA EXCHANGE as i have 2 lenses and my D70 body to trade in?

regards

Craig

Graham

No probs with LCE here.
                                  One of the few high street shops to accept part x .
                                  I bought my 14-24/2.8 and 24-70/2.8 from them in Derby on the strength of them taking my old versions in exchange.
                                  I also bought my D3s from them because they had it in the window and it was £200 less than I could find on t'internet (UK).
                                                      Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Oldboy

Quote from: Trickee on December 06, 2010, 10:32:08 AM
Thank you for your replies. Having done some research i think the SIGMA will do the job and will sit on my D80 when not in use. Just got to strike a deal to get the best prices for the whole package before the V.A.T goes up. MIFSUDS seem to have the best price for the D700 body and the 24-70 lens but prices on the net change daily.
Has anyone had dealings with LONDON CAMERA EXCHANGE as i have 2 lenses and my D70 body to trade in?

regards

Craig

Mifsuds also do secondhand gear so, just ask them for a quote.  ;D

Camera Price buster have it from Dale Photographic for £2899 plus £8 postage and packing.  8)

Jonathan

OK.....

"Is 24mm wide enough for landscapes?" - I'd say yes, but then landscapes bore me and I know people shoot them on a 300mm.

"What second lens for weddings?" 70-200 VR II.  Or if funds are tight 80-200.  I have the VR I and the vignetting doesn't bother me but the VR II is actually much nicer.  As it happens I know where there's a 2nd hand VR II for sale for £1425.  If I could trade my VR I for a VR II for the £300 difference in prices then I probably would - but mine looks like it's been dropped down a flight of steps because....it's been dropped downa  flight of steps :D

"Will my old consumer level broken lens work OK on one of the best DSLRs ever made?"  Maybe.  But not as well as a decent pro lens that isn't broken.

"the 24-70 is an excellent all round lens, slightly better than the 24-105/120 which only goes to f4."

That's a little like saying Beckham is slightly better than me at football...

I traded my D2s and some stuff for my D3S at Mifsuds.  Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
It's Guest's round

picsfor

Quote from: Jonathan on December 06, 2010, 08:07:39 PM
OK.....
"the 24-70 is an excellent all round lens, slightly better than the 24-105/120 which only goes to f4."

That's a little like saying Beckham is slightly better than me at football...

Not quite - for a walk around lens the 24-120 (Nikon) has a better focal range, but the f4 can be some what restricting and the optics seem to be a bit better on the 24-70 

Trickee

Just ordered 24-70 from warehouse express as they are doing a £50 off voucher code for selected Nikon lenses. (WEX50NIKON)
Has anyone had dealings with SRS microsystems as they have the best price for the D700 £1676 inc delivery.
Have been tracking prices since Christmas and i cannot see it coming down much more even if the rumour mill has a D800 on its way and i dont want more than 12 million pixels as my pc will start coughing.

Oldboy

Quote from: Trickee on January 22, 2011, 09:04:16 AM
Has anyone had dealings with SRS microsystems as they have the best price for the D700 £1676 inc delivery.

No, but I've seen their advert in DCM for a few years.  ;D

alan1572

how do i know if i have a VR I or VR II?
Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

alan1572

Who wanted dry roasted with their pint?

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.