• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 45
  • Total: 45
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

STROBE SNOOT

Started by irv_b, December 17, 2009, 10:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irv_b

I have been looking for something to make a snoot out of. I was wondering what any of you guys use and where did you get it from? I have tried black card but still got some light spillage through it ! - any ideas?
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

nickt

Try the black foam you can get in Hobbycraft. It's called 'Fab Foam" and the sheets are approx 400mm x 350mm. I've used the white ones to make bounce cards a la 'A better Bounce Card'. (www.abetterbouncecard.com).

Nick

Malcolm1938

FKA CannOffice
Too old to die young
Every day is a good day - if you wake up....

My Gallery

Hinfrance

I use empty Pringles* tubes with the fix end cut off, just as they are on a flashgun, or gaffer taped to a soft cheese tube with the bottom cut out the right size.

The bonuses are that 1) you get to eat the Pringles and 2) the lid is quite a reasonable diffuser too.

*I actually use the Lidl own brand ones because the lids are more neutrally coloured.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

What NickT said.  A sheet of fab foam about A3 size costs 99p from my local art shop and is great for snoots and black foamie things. :)  I velcro everything - sheet of foam + velcro = about 3 modifiers for < £2.

TBH I don't use a snoot much.  I can get similar but (I think) nicer results from a grid like the Honl ones.  There are usually some on eBay (but not ATM).  If you want to see one in action then check out the front cover of Your Kent Wedding magazine  8) http://www.yourkentwedding.co.uk/  That's a gridded SB800 held by an assistant and fired by CLS.
It's Guest's round

irv_b

Thanks for the info guys  :tup: looks like I'll try the nearest craft shop for something like that fab foam stuff tomorrow  :beer:
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Simon

I made my own and will have a video on how to do it up soon. There even better and more efficient ways of making snoots..
www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

www.flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images

Simon

AS i said in my last post, I have now made and posted the video about making a snoot. I hope you find it useful fols.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njl5KkFmkZI
www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

www.flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images

Forseti

Quote from: nickt on December 17, 2009, 11:24:05 PM
Try the black foam you can get in Hobbycraft. It's called 'Fab Foam" and the sheets are approx 400mm x 350mm. I've used the white ones to make bounce cards a la 'A better Bounce Card'. (www.abetterbouncecard.com).

Nick

I too use this fab foam as you call it.  In Germany it's called Moosgummi, is 2mm thick, comes in sheets sizes 30 x 40 cm (approx 16" x 12" I guess) and costs 1.50 Euros. I fold this sheet in half and then in half the other way prior to cutting which gives me 4 diffusers of approx 8" x 6". They are unbelievably effective and for this price who needs the more expensive named brands  ;D, even less so the asking price of $44 in that link of yours Nick - I must be in the wrong job.  Oh, the diffuser is secured to the flash unit using 2 pony tail bands found in a draw.  :2funny:

Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Jonathan

Quote from: Forseti on February 12, 2010, 01:10:59 PM
using 2 pony tail bands found in a draw

Pony tail bands are for girls.  And those with hair.  Velcro all the way for me ;)
It's Guest's round

Forseti

Quote from: Jonathan on February 12, 2010, 01:52:04 PM
  Velcro all the way for me ;)

LOL - then grow some hair.  :legit: By the way, Al Birmingham left comment on one of my images saying essentially that he also used the same setup in a village hall with great success.
Canon 7D,  Canon SX1 IS, EF100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF70-200 f/4 L IS USM, EF17-40 f/4 L USM, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII

"Everyone can take a great picture with digital, the knack is to take two" - David Bailey

Hinfrance

Pony tail bands are for girls.  And those with hair.  Velcro all the way for me ;)

Yeah, but don't you find it a bit tough stitching the velcro to the strobe?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Graham

Quote from: Tringle WP on February 13, 2010, 12:42:51 PM

Yeah, but don't you find it a bit tough stitching the velcro to the strobe?
No. You use this stuff! :tup:  http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_201607_langId_-1_categoryId_165691
                          Graham. ;)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.