• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 167
  • Total: 167
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Website any good?

Started by CML-1591, January 14, 2010, 03:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CML-1591

Was just wondering if people could tell me if my website is good and most importantly working...?

I know its not as good as myweddingstory or any one else's on here but hey it will do for now.

http://www.craigleaper.co.uk

I had flash on the portfolio pages but they worked and did not show the images so I took it off!
Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

jimthetrain

Looks simple enough with some nice bright images. A few too many spider shots for me though. Without a web site myself and no clue how to even start one, I think it will improve the bigger you build it up and with helpful comments from others can only get better.

jim
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

picsfor

Seems to be doing the job Craig.
It's a bit more polished than mine - though mine is still in the 'development phase" and being done through Clikpic which is very much template based.
As to comparing with the likes of Jonathan Ryan's stuff - i think you're looking at ti all wrong.
Jonathan's site is designed to suit a particular market, i mean he has 3 sites that i know of let alone a blog, a Flickr account and a gallery on this place - and i've no doubt soon there'll be a Hassablad feature some where.
Aber's site is totally different - almost a complete opposite - but then look at what Aber's does - it's a hobby not an occupation - and again a totally different type of subject.
I've just thought, Tim Wallace runs his site through Clikpic - www.ambientlight.co.uk i think it is. I've got it bookmarked along with a host of other photographer sites.
Dave Skellum is attached to 2 sites that i know of, either his directly or 1 his and 1 he is attached to http://lancashirepictures.co.uk/
My point being - Tim is a pro photographer as is Jonathan, and Dave and all of them operate in different markets and all have totally different web sites and aims for their web sites.

The purpose of a web site is to fulfill its function - whether that be to sell or advertise your services, share your pictures with people, provide a point of contact, or just an ebayer or facebooker.
A web site is an end to a need - nothing more.

Does yours do what you want it to?

stevebedder

It's a nice functional site that does what it says on the tin with some good shots.

It would be good to have more than just 5 shots on the home page but I guess that will increase with the more images you upload.

:tup:

Steve

ABERS

Looks good Craig, easy to get around.

Can't see anything on landscape, is there anything there?

CML-1591

Thanks for the comments folks!

Quote from: stevebedder on January 14, 2010, 04:38:34 PM

It would be good to have more than just 5 shots on the home page but I guess that will increase with the more images you upload.

:tup:

Steve

Going through my hard drive later to load more up, just I was having trouble with other flash so forgot to add more lol.

Quote from: ABERS on January 14, 2010, 04:45:53 PM
Looks good Craig, easy to get around.

Can't see anything on landscape, is there anything there?

There should be! Well here was when I looked...not a flash thing on yours is it?

Good point about the comparisons, but you know lol...

Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment. - Ansel Adams,

ABERS

Apologies, I meant to say portrait. Landscape is fine.

CML-1591

Quote from: ABERS on January 14, 2010, 06:21:30 PM
Apologies, I meant to say portrait. Landscape is fine.

Aye, need to sort them and resize them to put them up so there is none, will be though.

Are people seeing a page with 'X''s on when they click portfolio because it does not look like that in dreamweaver and I have uploaded the site to me server like twice now...

picsfor

i don't see any x's - i just see the site.
I've bookmarked it now so will pop in every now and then to have a look. If i see anything i'll pm you.

happypaddler

I've had a butchers on Safari, Chrome & Firefox on the mac - I had issues for a while on my site with overlapping, showing on some browsers but not others. You don't have that issue at the moment, but keep an eye as you add more content.

I just have a couple of small points. On the top of each page you have two links which return the viewer to the same home page ("home" & "Craig Leaper"), I can not decide if this is confusing or not. I'd perhaps take the hyperlink out of your name? When you click on the "portfolio" link, the same set of photos, appear twice, rendered slightly differently.

Its a nice, simple, uncomplicated web site, with some very nice photos on show.

irv_b

Hi Craig
No majar issues to report back on the first viewing just a couple of observations which I don't know if you can do anything about or not?

• do you have to have a phone number on the site if its not relevant (real)
  • when you click on the portfolio tab can you not have the pictures all in a row, rather than the pic of the boats at the dockside then have to scroll down and then have the pic of the boats at the dockside and scroll throgh all the first pictures again(if that makes sense ;D
Irv
My Gallery

Don't count the days "Guest," make the days count!.

Colin

Craig, The major problem that you will have is that by using flash to generate the page content you will not get indexed by the search engines. Content is king if you want people to find your site through Google etc. To see what a search engine sees you need to turn off all the images, flash, css etc and then look at the words that is all they see. If you are happy to not be on the search engines then fine otherwise look at reconstructing your site with a content rich index page and the the galleries off that. You could just make your about me page the index page and that would be a better start. It comes back to the question asked earlier what do you want the website to do?

CML-1591

Quote from: Colin on January 15, 2010, 07:56:05 AM
Craig, The major problem that you will have is that by using flash to generate the page content you will not get indexed by the search engines. Content is king if you want people to find your site through Google etc. To see what a search engine sees you need to turn off all the images, flash, css etc and then look at the words that is all they see. If you are happy to not be on the search engines then fine otherwise look at reconstructing your site with a content rich index page and the the galleries off that. You could just make your about me page the index page and that would be a better start. It comes back to the question asked earlier what do you want the website to do?

Thanks Colin, do not think my lecturer mentioned that. Hmm That might need some changing then and I have ideas already though!

As for what I want the website to do- it is just for this extra module we have to do at uni so most of us are photographers in the class we are doing it to show are work and such...

Thanks folks!

As for the two rendering flash things then that was just me testing something within the files.

Quote from: irv_b on January 14, 2010, 08:51:00 PM
Hi Craig
No majar issues to report back on the first viewing just a couple of observations which I don't know if you can do anything about or not?

• do you have to have a phone number on the site if its not relevant (real)

I just like things balanced and just to show I considered it for the marking etc... Also still deciding if I should use my real number lol, the email actually works though!

• when you click on the portfolio tab can you not have the pictures all in a row, rather than the pic of the boats at the dockside then have to scroll down and then have the pic of the boats at the dockside and scroll throgh all the first pictures again(if that makes sense ;D
Ummm... Not really  :doh: :D :legit:

[/list]
Irv

CML-1591

portraits up, not much but some for now

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.