• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 48
  • Total: 48
bhphotovideo
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Street Photography

Started by Andrew, May 27, 2014, 02:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

As I spend more time walking or cycling around with my camera - I find myself looking at scenes in urban areas and wondering what constitutes street photography as opposed to just plain documentary photography?

I find the lines seem to be blurring quite a lot nowadays, heck you can even throw in city and architecture and urban exploration just to confuse matters  :-\
1 body, 1 lens, 1 flash gun, 1 tripod, 1 cable release & 1 filter. Keeping it simple!
(I lied, just got a second lens!)

Beaux Reflets

I personally think Street Photography is about documenting "signs of the times" - Street fashion that records what it was / is like during a particular generation.

This would include, Object Art, Dress codes, and Social Behaviour; whether shots are taken in urban areas or beach hut communes, indoor or outdoor the category is very broad.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Reinardina

People in public spaces. But not always, as sometimes you see something where there are no people, but that would fit, in my opinion, in the street photography category. In general I think, people should not be posing, but then again, if you get a group of teenagers, pulling faces for the camera, that would fit.

Not sure whether I personally see a difference between documentary and street photography.

I am trying to get the hang of it; trying to find a 'story,' in a picture, rather than just 'people in the street.' Very often get it wrong and just shoot people.

I do like the idea of documenting things like fashion, behaviour and atmosphere. A lot of old (urban and countryside) photographs, seem 'just people in a street/farmyard,' but for me they are interesting because of the clothes, the vehicles/machinery, attitude etc. A glimpse into the past. And I think, even 'boring' photos taken today, may have the same appeal in twenty/thirty years time.

Do I sound confused? Well, I am!

Here's one of mine. There are more in my 'People' gallery, and in my 'Street and candids' set on Flickr.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

oggalily

Wouldn't documentary photography be aimed at capturing newsworthy events?  Or is that reportage?  To me a good street photo needs to convey a backstory, as Reinardina suggests, but this could be open to interpretation by the viewer; moreso than a documentary photo that would accompany a news story.

Reinardina

Documentary? Reportage? I don't know, but this one I took yesterday.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on May 31, 2014, 08:02:11 AM
Documentary? Reportage? I don't know, but this one I took yesterday.

Council worker keels over when he realises his Green machine isn't really blushing!

Oldboy

Street photography is going out and taking a photo of what you see or photos on the hoof so to speak. Documentary is where you decide beforehand what is the subject/theme of the series of photos you will be taking. Reportage is a photo of an event to show what is going on. So,for example, Reinardina's photo of the street cleaning machine could be Documentary if she went out to take photos of different street cleaning machines. It would be Reportage if it shows the event like cleaning up the rubbish after a busy Saturday night. As she walked by she spotted the chap kneeling in front of the machine, so this picture is street photography as it's taken on the hoof.  :tup:

Reinardina

To me, this is street photography, but as it documents the break down of a machine, and the man trying to fix it (I have photos of this too), it is probably documentary/reportage as well.

And talking about blushing, I see the photo is quite red. Had to edit on my steam powered Vista laptop, as I now have a loan laptop from JL without photo software. Didn't spot the colour till after I uploaded it.

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on May 31, 2014, 10:12:04 AM
To me, this is street photography, but as it documents the break down of a machine, and the man trying to fix it (I have photos of this too), it is probably documentary/reportage as well.

And talking about blushing, I see the photo is quite red. Had to edit on my steam powered Vista laptop, as I now have a loan laptop from JL without photo software. Didn't spot the colour till after I uploaded it.

I love the Hue, it helps to emphasise the odd coloured 'GreenMachine'   :tup:

Reinardina

Quote from: Beaux Reflets on May 31, 2014, 11:24:21 AM

It is so odd, it makes the concrete blush!

Beaux Reflets

Quote from: Reinardina on May 31, 2014, 01:10:47 PM
Quote from: Beaux Reflets on May 31, 2014, 11:24:21 AM

It is so odd, it makes the concrete blush!

Almost BubbleGum pink  :tup: I hate the stuff especially when stuck to my shoes  :knuppel2: which is perhaps another reason the picture works for me  :tup:

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.