• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 60
  • Total: 60
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Hard Disk

Started by Oldboy, October 18, 2011, 07:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

what a beast. wish this had been around a few weeks ago.

Would changed my plans re - storage space!

Colin

I just wish WD would increase their drive warranty to the same as Maxtor / Seagate then I might consider using them. Certainly the 6Tb one would keep me going for a couple of years.

Jonathan

I'm baffled why anybody would run RAID 0 over USB.  Or even FW800.

eSATA is the only useful interface for RIAD 0.  Thunderbolt would have been nice.  Gigabit would have made sense too.

Glad to see them removing fans though - I have drives I don't use due to noise.
It's Guest's round

Zenmer

Being a naturally cautious person I really wouldn't want a back up that size, bit like my memory cards, nothing over 8gb.
Lose that and you've lost everything  :(
Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe

Jonathan

You could always flip it to RAID 1 (with a hefty performance hit).

The spec doesn't say but realistically it has to be 2 physical drives in a housing.  In RAID 0 if either fails you lose everything.  In RAID 1 the capacity is halved but if 1 fails you still have all your data (yes....just like a backup....kind of).  I don't think either are really appropriate for the needs of photographers.
It's Guest's round

Graham

Iv'e got 2x 2TB WD's , one internal for pics and one external for backup pics and another 1TB WD for edited pics. Should be enough for me for the next 3 years at this rate!.....Oh and.   
Quote from: Jonathan on October 19, 2011, 07:46:04 AM

eSATA is the only useful interface for RIAD 0.  Thunderbolt would have been nice.  Gigabit would have made sense too.

I understood the last sentance. :-[
                   Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

donoreo

Quote from: Jonathan on October 19, 2011, 07:46:04 AM

I have to agree.  You lose the gain from RAID 0 but connecting over USB.  FW800 would not be as bad, but still not worth it.  I would take redundancy over speed and use it at RAID 1. 

anglefire

I had a WD My Book NAS drive.

It was crap. Failed with no warning.

Would rather spend a bit more and get a QNAP or something similar.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.