• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 205
  • Total: 205
Wish
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

I thought they were tough but . . .

Started by Hinfrance, April 18, 2010, 07:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

HERE

I don't know if this guy is telling porkies or what, but at 134,000 activations and only broken after bouncing down some steps, it looks like my K10D might have a bit more life in it yet.  ;)
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Jonathan

Um, my D3 has shot more than that.  I've never dropped it down steps but I've smacked a few walls with it.  It's fine.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Most electronic will last a long time if look after and not abused. Think how many film cameras of fifty years ago can still work today. Most current cameras are  rated as between 75,000 to 300,000 and it doesn't mean it will stop working when it reaches that total.  ;D

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on April 18, 2010, 08:24:28 AM
Most electronic will last a long time if look after and not abused.

Though of course it's not the electronic bits you need to worry about.

The shutter curtains reach over 20 mph, initial acceleration is around 500g and the stop at the end is brutal - it's been calculated at in excess of 2,000g - http://regex.info/blog/2008-09-04/925
It's Guest's round

Hinfrance

Quote from: Jonathan on April 18, 2010, 08:20:25 AM
Um, my D3 has shot more than that.  I've never dropped it down steps but I've smacked a few walls with it.  It's fine.

And it cost how much more than an mid range Pentax? Roughly 8 times I'm guessing. So it ought to last for over a million activations otherwise it's a bust  :2funny:

My K10D has been dropped a couple of times. Once by me from waist height onto an oak floor, and once by the deletable Mrs H onto concrete from chest height. It's a bit battered but still clunks along.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

SimonW

I'm still very happy with my K10D. This thread raised a question, just curiosity - the manual doesn't mention the shutter count reading; how can I access it?
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

Quote from: SimonW on April 18, 2010, 07:29:24 PM
I'm still very happy with my K10D. This thread raised a question, just curiosity - the manual doesn't mention the shutter count reading; how can I access it?

Try this program and it's free. Just open your image file into it and it will list all the Exif data including shutter count.  :tup:

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/download.htm

Hinfrance

According to the Pentax forums this is how to find your number of shutter activations - you need a decent EXIF reader. The number of activations includes quality control apparently, so will be 400-500 higher than you have been involved in.

Oldboy beat me to it  :beer:
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

SimonW

Thanks folks, but it didn't work. Opanda does perhaps show a few more EXIF items than the EXIF view I have in Paint Shop Pro, but it does not show shutter count. Worse - it hijacked all my various picture file types for itself and replaced all their icons by the default "unknown application" one. I've uninstalled it but that didn't undo these changes so I have still to get my system put back as I like it.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Hinfrance

I agree about Opanda - doesn't do much except b*gger up the file associations.

Go HERE for instructions on how to fix the problem.

I'm just going to check out the Pentax forum recommendation and I'll get back to you.

LATER - Just downloaded and installed Photome, which looks very nice, at least as an EXIF reader, but I still can't see total activations listed anywhere for my K10D.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Oldboy

Quote from: SimonW on April 19, 2010, 07:08:20 PM
Thanks folks, but it didn't work. Opanda does perhaps show a few more EXIF items than the EXIF view I have in Paint Shop Pro, but it does not show shutter count. Worse - it hijacked all my various picture file types for itself and replaced all their icons by the default "unknown application" one. I've uninstalled it but that didn't undo these changes so I have still to get my system put back as I like it.

Very strange, as I've got it on a XP and Vista machine and it didn't do that to me!  :o

Sorry I caused you problems.  :'(

SimonW

Oldboy, not your fault and I do appreciate you trying to help. I've got the PC all back how it was now so no harm done. Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Alfonso_Frisk

Irfanview will give you a shutter count.
Does not if using  Canons though  Im told
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

anglefire

Canon used to have a field that stored the shutter count in the 1Series bodies, but AFAIK it was moved and not found yet to different place since the MkIII came out (Possible MkII).

I think only Nikon have a user accessable field for shutter count.
----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Hinfrance

I can't find an activation count listed for the K10D or K20D in any of the viewers. Must be hidden somewhere.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.