• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 81
  • Total: 81
7ds
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

What bemused you today?

Started by greypoint, August 24, 2009, 07:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hinfrance

You've obviously got a problem with them where you are. Here things seem to be in better balance.

IMHO the Wildlife and Countryside act giving blanket protection to just about everything was a classic example of the law of unintended consequences. People had grown used to the over abundance of song birds which had unnaturally arisen as a result of the hunting of predators, including birds of prey. Now the birds of prey and other predators are back, and that with a huge increase in the cat population has significantly reduce the populations of song birds. You can't have everything.

This year our regularly returning pair of redstarts were killed by blue tits. Then the cat killed the blue tits. Isn't nature wonderful?
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Oldboy

Quote from: Alfonso_Frisk on June 08, 2016, 07:51:18 PM
The Urban Magpie population has increased significantly where I live. Nearly as many Mags as the flying rat wood pigeons that eat anything and everything.
On a daily basis I see them robbing nests.
wonder what they taste like  :knuppel2: ;D

Magpies are a menace and mob the small birds. You need to encourage Goshawks and they like tucking into a Magpie or two.  :D

ABERS

Talking of birds eating birds how fresh do you like your bird meat?

jinky

Quote from: ABERS on July 10, 2016, 10:29:38 AM
Talking of birds eating birds how fresh do you like your bird meat?
Yes nothing quite like a French market for fresh food! I once plucked and gutted a couple of pheasants to eat after a friends` brother had shot them and brought them to our student abode many years ago. After cooking the experience was further marred by having a piece of shot in virtually every biteful of this tiny bird. I vowed then and there never to  pluck and gut another bird!

ABERS

No lead shot here, you just have to wring their necks. :doh:

Oldboy

Want to capture all the action then you need a fast camera?  :o

A new approach to high-speed photography could help capture the clearest-ever footage of light pulses, explosions or neurons firing in the brain, according to a team of ultrafast camera developers. The technique involves shooting 100 billion frames per second in a single exposure without an external light source. That means, for example, there would be no need to set off multiple explosions just to gather enough data to create a video reconstructing exactly how chemicals react to create the blast.

If that's not fast enough for you then try this one!  :o

Keisuke Goda, a University of Tokyo physical chemistry professor and part of a group of researchers who in 2014 built a "sequentially timed all-optical mapping photography" camera that can snap pictures at 4.4 trillion frames per second.  :tup:

You might need more memory....... :P

ABERS

Over a morning cuppa had a look at the club's Web site. A walk had been organised around London W2 last Thursday,  some 14 people went on it and a good time was had by all, with visits to various hostelries being a frequent  high spot.

I'm not a one for wandering around the town and country with groups of like minded enthusiasts  since there is a tendency for most of them to come back with similar  pictures.

What bemused me however was the fact that one member has already posted 43 pictures taken on the day.  43 totally boring images that makes you wonder if the photographer has really thought out if any of them are worthy of a second look, or, if any of them could do with a little enhancement post taking.

We all know photography means different things to different people, and rushing around snapping at everything in view is one of them, but boring the pants off people surely isn't  another.

Reinardina

Quote from: ABERS on July 24, 2016, 08:48:10 AM
Over a morning cuppa had a look at the club's Web site. A walk had been organised around London W2 last Thursday,  some 14 people went on it and a good time was had by all, with visits to various hostelries being a frequent  high spot.

I'm not a one for wandering around the town and country with groups of like minded enthusiasts  since there is a tendency for most of them to come back with similar  pictures.

What bemused me however was the fact that one member has already posted 43 pictures taken on the day.  43 totally boring images that makes you wonder if the photographer has really thought out if any of them are worthy of a second look, or, if any of them could do with a little enhancement post taking.

We all know photography means different things to different people, and rushing around snapping at everything in view is one of them, but boring the pants off people surely isn't  another.

Maybe said member is new to photography, and is totally amazed he/she managed to capture, what he/she encountered? Without too much experience, and no knowledge of composition, let alone editing?

I see photos appearing in the gallery here, that must be the work of someone like that, starting out in photography, uploading lots of similar photos.

I recognise myself, in my early photography days here.  I was ever so proud of my first shots, and it was only after I started reading about photography and joined DCM, that I realised how and where improvements were necessary.

Uploading only the best, of a series of amazing, but similar, shots was something I had trouble with at first.

Still not there, and still learning.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Paul Montgomery

Quote from: Oldboy on July 13, 2016, 09:57:58 AM
Want to capture all the action then you need a fast camera?  :o

A new approach to high-speed photography could help capture the clearest-ever footage of light pulses, explosions or neurons firing in the brain, according to a team of ultrafast camera developers. The technique involves shooting 100 billion frames per second in a single exposure without an external light source. That means, for example, there would be no need to set off multiple explosions just to gather enough data to create a video reconstructing exactly how chemicals react to create the blast.

If that's not fast enough for you then try this one!  :o

Keisuke Goda, a University of Tokyo physical chemistry professor and part of a group of researchers who in 2014 built a "sequentially timed all-optical mapping photography" camera that can snap pictures at 4.4 trillion frames per second.  :tup:

You might need more memory....... :P

Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snSIRJ2brEk
Capturing light propagation..

Oldboy

Yes. The only problem is you capture the event before it happens!!!!  :uglystupid2:

ABERS

It's  that time of year again when for the sake of a few hundred lycra  clad  nuisances we are all restricted to where we can go on Sunday. The roads are closed for the day to allow the London Bike Ride to pass through.

No by your leave or what do you think, the Surrey CC  just put up notices saying the roads are closed and parked cars will be towed away.
My granddaughter cannot get to work and my daughter and her team of district nurses cannot visit their patients, some of receiving palliative  care, some needing several visits on a 'normal' day.

Why this event cannot be organised in areas that are not heavily  populated  is beyond me, North Yorkshire Moors,  Dartmoor,  spring to mind.

Hinfrance

Somewhere in the middle of the North Sea would be ideal.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

DigiDiva

Went for some sunset images at the beach in Sunderland  and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Grown women and men running around with their mobiles likes idiots shouting Pokemon names and things like 'I got it's, 'I caught it' and 'take my picture'. For heavens sake........GET A BLOODY GRIP ON REALITY! There must have been over 30 adults. Is it just me that thinks they are ridiculous?

Then again, keeps them outa trouble I suppose.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Reinardina

Quote from: DigiDiva on July 27, 2016, 10:48:28 PM
Went for some sunset images at the beach in Sunderland  and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Grown women and men running around with their mobiles likes idiots shouting Pokemon names and things like 'I got it's, 'I caught it' and 'take my picture'. For heavens sake........GET A BLOODY GRIP ON REALITY! There must have been over 30 adults. Is it just me that thinks they are ridiculous?

Then again, keeps them outa trouble I suppose.

This post amused/bemused me, for several reasons.

First of all, I thought Sunderland is on the East coast, so isn't it better suited for sun rises? Haven't been  been on an Eastern sea shore for decades, so I don't know what a sunset does to the general 'lighting.' It may still be interesting/beautiful.

Didn't realise, the Pokémon game was so addictive to adults as well as kids/adolescents.

It may keep them fit, as they are running around all the time, but, from what I have read over the past few weeks, it does not keep them out of trouble. The emergency services have been out several times, to rescue Pokémon hunters, who got themselves into trouble.

And last but not least, as you were there with your camera, I hope you shot them, so please show us!

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

DigiDiva

I didn't photograph them - I was too embarrased for them. Yes we are east cost, but the sky all aound gets the pinks and oranges. As the sun drops too, it reflects off the top of the lighthouse. I didn't get home till late (I called for chips, you can't go to the coast and not have chips) so it was too late to download them. Will have a play tonight and see if there are any decent ones.
Please visit my website @ www.sunderlandwallart.com

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.