• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 147
  • Total: 147
aliexpress
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

Monopod Recomendations

Started by stevebedder, February 22, 2009, 11:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevebedder

Morning,

Can anyone recommend a good, sturdy but lightweight monopod?

I've got a Benbo Trekker Mk3 tripod but it's a little bit to bulky to strap to my rucksack and carry whilst out and about so want to get something a little more portable. I had hoped to pick one up from Jessops yesterday morning prior to drivign up to the lakes only to find our local one had shut down!

Thanks  ;)

Steve

Mick

Steve, not sure if it's still a current model, but I have a Manfrotto 680B monopod

Four sections
Closed length = 51cm
Extended     =  154cm
Weight       =   0.83kg
Load capacity  = 10kg
1/4" and 3/8" camera mount screw

It holds my Canon 30D with Sigma 50-500 no problem, but I mount it straight on top of the monopod platform, as it doesn't come with a head.

Just checked, £34.99 from warehouse express.  http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=10883
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Alfonso_Frisk

I have the Giotto MM5570 which I use a lot. http://www.giottos.com/MM55.htm
Great bit of kit and very adaptable
http://www.giottos.com/

RR
Alf
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

stevebedder

Thanks guys, I'll check out both of them.

:tup:

stevebedder

I couldn't find the Giottos MM5570 on any of the retail sites I normally use but after doing quite a bit of looking round and comparisons I have just ordered a Manfrotto 680B as it looked to have the best mix of closed height, extended height and weight.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

:tup:

Steve

Mick

Quote from: stevebedder on February 22, 2009, 03:47:49 PM

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

erm, I already know what it's like.  :D  But I'd appreciate your feedback.

I'll feel guilty if you don't like it, but I'm sure it will suite your needs perfectly.  :tup:

My Gallery

OpenSea

stevebedder

"erm, I already know what it's like"

I thought that when I read back what I had wrote  :doh:

Ah well, I'll let everyone apart from Lurkalot know what it's like.........if they're interested of course.

Cheers

Steve

jimthetrain

Just had a look at mine and it's the next one up. 681B. Slightly larger than the 680 with three sections instead of four but a bit lighter with a 12 kilo limit. :tup:
Great sturdy piece of kit.
BOOZE!!! Helping ugly people have sex.

stevebedder

Hmmmm.....

I found a comparison on-line that had the tech specs for both the 680 and the 681 which showed the 681 being slightly heavier and slightly longer when collapsed although it does offer 161cm when extended as opposed to the 680 which offers 154.

I decided (with tape measure in hand) that as I am on the not so tall side that the 680 would do and was smaller and lighter when compacted.

Ah well, I'll see tomorrow when\if it arrives but I'm sure either the 681 or the 680 would do a great job.

One thing that has bugged me....

I got a quick release head for my Benbo and was pleased to see you could get get extra quick release plates. I expected these to be the base plate (single camera, multiple supports) only to find that they are actually the camera plate for those that have multiple cameras. I would have thought I could have got an extra base plate, one for tripod, one for monopod. ???

Steve

stevebedder

Monopod arrived first thing this morning and so far it looks and feels pretty good.

Had a quick play and am impressed with the build quality v weight and the compact size it collapses down to.

I saw a couple of reviews that mentioned the wrist strap being a bit flimsy and prone to snapping but this one looks pretty secure and strong.

Thanks for you help guys.

Steve

Mick

Glad you like it Steve.  :tup:

Not had any problems with the wrist strap myself.  Makes you wonder what people do with them to break them.  I slip my hand through, and grip the, erm grip.  So the strap is there for backup only.

Still big and heavy enough to clip some mugger round the ear Ole though.  :D   :legit:

Never did get around to buying a head for mine,  then I only use it with my bigma, and it screws straight on to the lens tripod mount.

My Gallery

OpenSea

Oldboy

I've got the MANFROTTO MN694 Magfiber Monopod with a quick release plate adapter. The only problem with it is the quick release plate moves side to side and not forward and backward as you would expect!  :o

bones615

Just got a Manfrotto 679b & free head from warehouse express for £28 to replace the old jessops one that can't handle the new lens. Seems extremely sturdy compared to the old one but no quick release system, hopefully i will not miss it as it will only be used with the bigma i got recently.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/Default.aspx?sku=10881
Link here if you are interested.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.