• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,412
  • Total Topics: 5,705
  • Online today: 158
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 56
  • Total: 56
photobox
Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning Resources

Jpeg? HTML? What's changed?

Started by Reinardina, March 03, 2013, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinardina

I regularly take photographs for hubby, and in order not to have to faff around with memory sticks etc, I email them to him. (Gmail)
He then downloads them on our 'main pc' which is connected to our printer, so he can print them off.

However, I sent two shots yesterday that. when you click 'save as,' have an enormous 'code' and no mention of Jpeg. In the box 'Save as type' it says 'All files' which you can't change to 'Jpeg.'  They don't show in the folder where they should be kept with the other associated (jpeg) pictures, and cannot be printed.

When I try to save it from the 'View' position, it comes up as: Web archive single file (*.mht). I've got three other choices (txt HTML etc) but not Jpeg.

Has anyone an idea what's going on? Did I do something wrong? And how can I correct it?

These are the first shots I've sent using my new laptop (Windows8) and I also used Elements 11, while in the past, I used a different editing programme.
Can that have anything to do with it?

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

SimonW

I googled .mht and came up with this page:

http://filext.com/file-extension/MHT

It suggests to me that the most likely cause is a virus on one of your PCs, though there are other possible reasons.

Good luck with fixing it.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Mick

Quote from: Reinardina on March 03, 2013, 08:59:29 AM

These are the first shots I've sent using my new laptop (Windows8) and I also used Elements 11, while in the past, I used a different editing programme.
Can that have anything to do with it?

Are you sending them as a PSD file instead of a jpeg?  Just wondering as you say you edited them in Elephants 11.  ;) If elements isn't installed on the laptop  you sent it to, then it won't be able to open them.  So make sure you save them as jpeg in elements before you send them.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Oldboy

Quote from: Mick on March 03, 2013, 09:11:23 AM
Just wondering as you say you edited them in Elephants 11.  ;)

Sounds like a jumbo problem!  :doh:

I think Mick is correct, as the files have been changed into mhtml extension, as they can't be read by your internet software. Might be able to convert to HTML and then to Jpeg but not sure.  :o

Reinardina

Thank you all.

I have sent them as Jpeg files. Previously I used E8 for editing and ACDsee for filing/archiving.
None of these programmes is installed on our main pc. But that was never a problem.

In the past, when you clicked 'Download,' a long, narrow, rectangular, yellow edged, window used to appear at the bottom of the screen and here you could click 'open, save, or save as.'
The 'save as' always did the trick, and you could choose what folder to save it in etc.
(It is still like this on my laptop.)

On the 'main pc' this window does not appear anymore, but I get a larger, square Internet Explorer window which supposedly, lets me do the same things, but it doesn't work.
When I click 'Save as' in that window, I'm away to the races, with the problem as described earlier.

The main pc runs Windows Vista and (I think) IE9, is regularly scanned with AVG (paid for) anti virus software and also has up to date Zone Alarm.

Guessing it has something to do with IE9, I accessed the email through GoogleChrome, downloaded both pictures to the desktop and dragged them to the right folder. So they are now where they should be, but it is quite a palaver to get them there!

If anyone can tell me how the 'yellow edged' choice box disappeared, and more importantly, how I can get it back, I think the problem would be solved and I'd be eternally (well ... almost) grateful!

Mick

Hmm, might be something changed with your email service provider.  Or a windows update has changed something.  ???

You know you could always set up Dropbox on both your machines.  https://www.dropbox.com/

This will add a folder to the desktop of each PC, if you drag the files to that folder on your laptop, then they will be available on the other PC in the same folder.  And vice versa.

"Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!"

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

Quote from: Mick on March 03, 2013, 11:47:03 AM
Hmm, might be something changed with your email service provider.  Or a windows update has changed something.  ???

You know you could always set up Dropbox on both your machines.  https://www.dropbox.com/

This will add a folder to the desktop of each PC, if you drag the files to that folder on your laptop, then they will be available on the other PC in the same folder.  And vice versa.

"Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!"

Thanks Mick. I've heard of Dropbox, but never knew how it worked. Seems simple and straight forward.
I'll look into it and see if hubby wants to join.

Mick

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

SimonW

As you already have gmail you might also check out Google Drive which seems to do the same thing as Dropbox and also works on Android tablets.
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

anglefire

----------------------------------
Mark
* A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odourless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

CPS Gold Member
My Website

Current Bodies:
Canon 1Dx
Canon R3
Canon R5

Sold Bodies:
Canon 350D
Canon 1DMk3
Canon 5D
Canon 1Dx Mk3

Mick

:hmm:  Reinardina seems to have gone quiet all of a sudden, hope my advice didn't cause a problem.

My Gallery

OpenSea

Reinardina

Quote from: Mick on March 05, 2013, 08:18:32 PM
:hmm:  Reinardina seems to have gone quiet all of a sudden, hope my advice didn't cause a problem.

Sorry Mick. We have started the process; hubby has read the instructions and downloaded it on the main pc. There is however, no desktop icon, and he has to access it by going to the website. Any idea how to get the icon?
I haven't done anything on my laptop yet, as there are, at the moment, no pictures to share.

Oldboy

Use the create shortcut option and asign it an Icon from the list. If unsure type shortcut into the help screen.  :tup:

Reinardina

Quote from: Oldboy on March 06, 2013, 10:56:27 AM
Use the create shortcut option and asign it an Icon from the list. If unsure type shortcut into the help screen.  :tup:

Thanks OB, I'll pass the message on.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.