• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,414
  • Total Topics: 5,707
  • Online today: 98
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 74
  • Total: 74
photobox
Microphone Arm,Aokeo AK-4...Sennheiser Profile USB Mi...Temu £100 Coupon bundle o...Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...

Screen banding

Started by Sarasocke, August 04, 2013, 07:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarasocke

Hi all!

Not been on CC for a while and now I'm back with a question ...
My life seems to get more and more hectic, so please do excuse my absence.

Anyway, my question. Does anyone have an experience with horizontal banding?

A screen shot to show you what I mean:

Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Reinardina

I don't know what it is, but it reminds me of the 'things' Windows 8 throws at me, when I accidentally hover the cursor too close to 'something.' I have to click once, to remove them before I can go on with what I was doing, before 'they' disturbed me.

Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye.
Shakespeare. (Love's Labours Lost.)

Sarasocke

My "big" monitor still has Windows 7. This banding is really recent, I've had the monitor for a couple of years already. I just hope it isn't broken and I need a new one. Even worse actually, if I have to send it to be repaired. What would I do without a monitor?!
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Hinfrance

Looks like it's either your monitor or graphics card  :'(
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Beaux Reflets

May be worth checking for ingress of dust in the monitor (lay it on its face and give it a blast with a air cannister to blow away any dirt) also check the connections are dust free and firm.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

SimonW

Perhaps you should clean the inside of the screen. Try this:

http://www.lingdao.fr/outils/nettoyeurecran/cleanscreen.swf

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Oldboy

Quote from: Sarasocke on August 04, 2013, 07:16:51 PM
Hi all!

Not been on CC for a while and now I'm back with a question ...
My life seems to get more and more hectic, so please do excuse my absence.

Anyway, my question. Does anyone have an experience with horizontal banding?

A screen shot to show you what I mean:

On some monitors you have a wheel underneath which can be knocked when moving the screen like on the old CRT screens. Used to have the same problems with the old televisions. If this doesn't work then check your graphics card, as some allow you to position the image to the centre of the screen. If this doesn't work then try connecting your monitor to another computer. This will show if it's the monitor at fault or the graphics card.  ???

Sarasocke

I joined up to a German HP Forum and they also suggested me connecting the monitor to another computer.
That's probably good advice.

However, in the last two hours it's got really really bad. The horizontal lines are now almost black and I have a dark grey vertical shadow on the left hand side of the screen.

I'll call a chap I know in the morning and see if he can come and have a look for me.
What a pain, I only bought the monitor in October 2010. I'd expect a monitor to last longer than three years.  >:(

I spent hours faffing about with my Spyder yesterday, waste of time.
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Mick

Quote from: Sarasocke on August 05, 2013, 09:22:22 PM
I joined up to a German HP Forum and they also suggested me connecting the monitor to another computer.
That's probably good advice.

However, in the last two hours it's got really really bad. The horizontal lines are now almost black and I have a dark grey vertical shadow on the left hand side of the screen.

Sounds more like a graphics card issue to me.  I would take their advice and try it on another pc, or if you have a laptop with a monitor connection, try that.  Or borrow a friends PC / Laptop if possible. At least then you'll know if it's the monitor at fault.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

Beaux Reflets

Google the symptoms with make model number etc., as it may be a common hardware issue on some low priced LCD monitors rather than the graphics card.
:beer: Andy

"Light anchors things in place and gives perspective meaning."

The choices we make are rooted in reflection.

http://beauxreflets.blogspot.com/

Hinfrance

It'll be interesting to find out what this is Carol. I tend to agree with Mick that this is looking more like the graphics card than anything else. Hope you sort it soon.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Alfonso_Frisk

Is the monitor connected via VGA cable?
is so try another cable first.
http://www.fluidr.com/photos/nosmo_king2007
http://www.seateamimages.com/search.php
Wine improves with age, The older I get the more I like it.

SimonW

I think my fisrt step would be to  completely remove the connecting lead to the monitor - both ends - and reconnect it making sure the connectors are tight. But it might just be that your graphics card has perhaps moved slightly in its socket and is not making good contact. So remove and replace it, making certain it's properly seated.

Simon
Simon Warren
(in Dunning, Scotland)

Sarasocke

A case of "jiggle it about a bit" (for the "Open all Hours" fans). It was the cable which was a bit loose.

Interestingly my screen shot posted above doesn't have the shadows on there any more either.I guess the shadows weren't copied and I was just seeing them on my "broken" screen.

What my "expert" did find out, was that I have the wrong cable - it's not got a digital connection but an analog one. That'll get fixed later today.

So, raring to go and not a penny spent!

Yay!  :dance:
Carol aka Sarasocke 
My Gallery

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.