• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 136
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 117
  • Total: 117
If you would like to make a donation to help with the running costs of the site, then a donation button has been added to the bottom of the page.  Thanks.
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

IOTW Year End

Started by skellum, December 19, 2011, 07:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Quote from: Dave on December 21, 2011, 07:48:40 PM

I keep finding some excellent pictures by muckypup but he has not been on the site for ages so it makes me wonder whether I should choose one of his..

Yes Dave, I can see this being a problem, in fact it always has been when choosing IOTW, some members have dumped images in the gallery, and then disappeared.  :knuppel2:
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

hevans

Quote from: Dave on December 21, 2011, 07:48:40 PM
We still need Hevans to cut his down to two as well.

Yeah yeah yeah....I'm working on it.  :-\

When I've downselected, I'll post them in the "entries" thread.

H.

Oldboy

I thought the idea was, to select one of your own pictures and one from another members gallery, and as it's year end, shouldn't it include only pictures taken in 2011?  :doh:

mondmagu

How about a poll for previous winners of IOTW for the year to be decided in January??

Des
Des
www.flickr.com/photos/mondmagu

Hinfrance

Quote from: Oldboy on December 22, 2011, 07:32:09 PM
I thought the idea was, to select one of your own pictures and one from another members gallery, and as it's year end, shouldn't it include only pictures taken in 2011?  :doh:

I'd have thought so, but I am still trying to work out how to view last year's pictures in the gallery without it taking all week.

Quote from: mondmagu on December 23, 2011, 12:26:46 AM
How about a poll for previous winners of IOTW for the year to be decided in January??

Des

Des, we used to have the monthly vote, but mostly it attracted no interest, so it was abandoned. One thing I do know is that this sounds a whole lot easier to get to grips with.
Howard  My CC Gallery
My Flickr
The theory seems to be that as long as a man is a failure he is one of God's children, but that as soon as he succeeds he is taken over by the Devil. H.L Mencken.

Mick

Quote from: Hinfrance on December 23, 2011, 08:12:13 AM

I'd have thought so, but I am still trying to work out how to view last year's pictures in the gallery without it taking all week.

Howard, I know this is a slow process, especially on this gallery setup.

But if you go to the previous images of the week album, and click the first thumbnail image, then click the intermediate image to bring up the full size, you then have a choice, ether click the little slideshow button, or click on each pic to move to the next one.  If you see one you like click the X button, and it will land you on that pic's page.  You might find this a little quicker.

And a tip, press f11 on your keyboard to make your browser full screen before clicking image to full size.  The images should adjust to fit screen.
Thank You, "Guest" For Reading This Post.

My Gallery
Tinyportal.net Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
Guitarist Guild Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0
The Garden Machinery Forum Running SMF 2.1.4 / Tinyportal 3.0.0

OpenSea

skellum

I don't think it really matters if we choose two pictures by other members. At the end of the day its only a bit of fun.  On your second point, I have had a look at the pictures submitted and two are technically not this years pictures.   1.  Reinardina's ' The Gateway' was taken on 29.12.10 but added to the gallery on 16.06.11     2.   Abers picture ' The longest mile '  was taken on 04.08.09 but was IOTW on 12.07.11 so I think it may be a bit picky not to include them. Let me know what you think.  :)

Could do with a few more before I set up the poll this afternoon   :'(  so come on folks  :tup:

greypoint

Just a thought for 2012 - if everyone who looked at the chosen IOTW gave it a score using the stars, the one with the highest score at the end of the month could be IOTM and be placed in a thread - at the end of the year there could be a poll of the 12 images to find the IOTY. There could also then be another poll like this current one where people could nominate their favourites from those that had'nt actually been IOTW so that the many great photos that had'nt been chosen during the year would have a second chance to make the front page.

hevans

Quote from: Dave on December 23, 2011, 10:36:54 AM
On your second point, I have had a look at the pictures submitted and two are technically not this years pictures.   

Well, if they have to have been taken this year, then that helps a lot with the selection. I'm gonna go with: (I'll also add them to the entries thread).

michaelb104's "Gerbera just after watering":
I love the way this is a colourless flower shot. Normally such shots concentrate on the bold and vivid colours, but this one really shows up the texture in the flower. Just Beautiful.

Howard's "Opposite Curves":
I love the complementary geometry and the umbrella pattern in the glass. It's a difficult object to light well, and Howard's done a great job.

hevans

Quote from: greypoint on December 23, 2011, 11:15:56 AM
Just a thought for 2012 - if everyone who looked at the chosen IOTW gave it a score using the stars, the one with the highest score at the end of the month could be IOTM and be placed in a thread - at the end of the year there could be a poll of the 12 images to find the IOTY. There could also then be another poll like this current one where people could nominate their favourites from those that had'nt actually been IOTW so that the many great photos that had'nt been chosen during the year would have a second chance to make the front page.

:idea: Oh, If we use the star system, could we invite Gil to come along and join in?! :knuppel2:

Oldboy

Quote from: hevans on December 23, 2011, 11:19:19 AM

:idea: Oh, If we use the star system, could we invite Gil to come along and join in?! :knuppel2:

Who's a naughty boy then?  :knuppel2:

greypoint

Quote from: Oldboy on December 23, 2011, 11:21:26 AM
Quote from: hevans on December 23, 2011, 11:19:19 AM

Who's a naughty boy then?  :knuppel2:

I think he tried but our Admin was too clever for him  :busted:

ABERS

I don't think it really matters if we choose two pictures by other members. At the end of the day its only a bit of fun.  On your second point, I have had a look at the pictures submitted and two are technically not this years pictures.   1.  Reinardina's ' The Gateway' was taken on 29.12.10 but added to the gallery on 16.06.11     2.   Abers picture ' The longest mile '  was taken on 04.08.09 but was IOTW on 12.07.11 so I think it may be a bit picky not to include them. Let me know what you think.  :)

Could do with a few more before I set up the poll this afternoon   :'(  so come on folks  :tup:

Could you withdraw the Longest Mile please as it doesn't meet the entry requirements. It was a combination of two images taken at different times. Thanks to Irv though for nominating it.

skellum

Quote from: ABERS on December 23, 2011, 01:34:13 PM

Could you withdraw the Longest Mile please as it doesn't meet the entry requirements. It was a combination of two images taken at different times. Thanks to Irv though for nominating it.

I personally think it should stay. After all it was a popular IOTW during 2011.. :tup:

hevans

Quote from: Dave on December 23, 2011, 02:23:19 PM
Quote from: ABERS on December 23, 2011, 01:34:13 PM

I personally think it should stay. After all it was a popular IOTW during 2011.. :tup:

When were the two photos merged into a single shot? Is the photo created at the time the shutter is released? Or in this case, is the image created when the darkroom work is done?

I'd say keep it in.

H.

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.