• Welcome to Camera Craniums: The Photography Community for Enthusiasts.

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 62,411
  • Total Topics: 5,704
  • Online today: 297
  • Online ever: 856 (January 21, 2020, 09:07:00 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 236
  • Total: 236
millets
Amazon Spring Deal: SanDi...🌸🌼 Get Ready to Blossom w...Marantz Professional MPM-...Google Pixel 7a and Pixel...JasmineSanDisk Ultra 64GB USB Fl...SanDisk 512GB Extreme PRO...GiaDo You Shoot Photos With ...Which eye do you use with...SanDisk 256GB Extreme PRO...Duracell Plus Alkaline 1....RØDE VideoMicro Compact O...I must be one of the rare...Learning ResourcesPhotography and Time of D...

D800 - more MP than a MF

Started by picsfor, February 07, 2012, 04:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picsfor

So, the much hyped D800 has finally been released, and with the promised 36mp; which must make a certain Canterbury based photographer wonder what his Hasselblaad is all about with its 30mp!

On paper it is a 5D2 killer, but the question is, does the technology really support that size of MP, or is it just a determination to win this round of the MP battle?

Having seen just how much detail the 22mp sensor records on the 5D2, i'm not really sure that i could point a D800 at some one and show them the picture, unless it was an extremely cropped version.

Oldboy

Quote from: picsfor on February 07, 2012, 04:43:41 PM
Must make a certain Canterbury based photographer wonder what his Hasselblaad is all about with its 30mp!

I think he has the H4D which is 50mp.  ;D

Graham

More details here. (If your interested ;))

http://www.europe-nikon.com/microsites/d800/en_GB/
    Its taken me 12 years to get to D3s level (And a D700 for spare :dance:)so I'm not tempted. Still a couple of lenses on my wish list though.
                            Graham.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. 

My Gallery
My Flickr Pics

ABERS

It must be hell for all you Nikon fans. Do I?  Don't I? Shall I? Shan't I? Can I? Can't I?

And now there will be endless discussions about where Nikon has got it all wrong from the Canon experts. :legit:

spinner

Got my email notice from B&H this morning. I see there's two versions. Both outside my price range. :'(

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/NID800*/Ntt/NID800*/N/0
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
Ol' blue eyes

http://ddsdigita4.wix.com/ddsdigital
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spin498/

jinky

I`ll find it easy to pass on this one. Who needs files that size? I`ll still yearn for a D3s

picsfor

Quote from: Oldboy on February 07, 2012, 05:22:47 PM
Quote from: picsfor on February 07, 2012, 04:43:41 PM
Must make a certain Canterbury based photographer wonder what his Hasselblaad is all about with its 30mp!

I think he has the H4D which is 50mp.  ;D

Unless he's had a trade up, it's a 30mp HD3, last time i saw him playing with it. Graham and i can ask him on Saturday  :tup:

greypoint

Could be good news for those wanting a second hand D700  ;) 

greypoint

Mmm...i've now had emails from Digital Depot, Park Cameras and WEX plus Nikon UK....all telling me how good the D800 is  :D 

Jonathan

Quote from: picsfor on February 07, 2012, 08:09:09 PM
Unless he's had a trade up, it's a 30mp HD3, last time i saw him playing with it. Graham and i can ask him on Saturday  :tup:

31 actually.  And it's an H3D-II.

Haven't done any more than glance at the spec on the 800 yet but I don't believe it's true 16 bit.  So it isn't time for me to downsize just yet.

I'd imagine that last night many wives heard how husbands' pictures were soft "because of the AA filter" and how they "need" the e model.  That's after a long day trying to get their head round nyquist frequencies......

Good news for SanDisk and disk manufacturers though :)

Oh and in other news, Canon launched  a new lens yesterday.  It's lighter than some other lens and may not break down as much.  Yeah, seems like they wanted to bury that news.
It's Guest's round

hssutton

Are Nikon about to rip off UK  & Irish markets.

"Nikon UK has officially confirmed increases to the prices of its D800, D800E and D4 SLRs. The move, which Nikon blames on an 'internal systems error', sees the D800's recommended retail price rise by £200 to £2599.99, while the D4's goes up by £500 to £5299.99 and the D800E's becomes £2,899.99. Extract from DPreview http://www.dpreview.com/

Harry

jinky

Seems they saw how much the new Canon 5d mk3 came out at to me. Still - has helped me positively decide that I will stick with my D700 and book another holiday with what I have saved  ;)

Oldboy

Quote from: jinky on March 26, 2012, 12:43:21 PM
Seems they saw how much the new Canon 5d mk3 came out at to me. Still - has helped me positively decide that I will stick with my D700 and book another holiday with what I have saved  ;)

Still can't get one.  >:(

Jonathan

Quote from: Oldboy on March 26, 2012, 09:20:40 PM

Didn't you preorder?  NPS may be able to help.
It's Guest's round

Oldboy

Quote from: Jonathan on March 27, 2012, 07:32:08 AM
Quote from: Oldboy on March 26, 2012, 09:20:40 PM

Didn't you preorder?  NPS may be able to help.

NPS are been revamped at present, so waiting for them to relaunch.  :'(

Camera Craniums is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Program. This affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.